• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

paul

paul

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,343 posts
  • LocationLewisville, TX

In all our discussions pro and con about Mr. Weckl, I rarely hear mention of his playing in big bands. Being a devotee of that genre myself I think this is a major oversight. Here is a small correction.

paul

paul

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,343 posts
  • LocationLewisville, TX

Also note that he's not reading. He KNOWS the charts.

NYFrank

NYFrank

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,000 posts
  • LocationNortheast U.S.

He's a gifted player.  He's one of those types of players that I almost don't like watching - because I will never be able to approach that level of play.  

zenghost

zenghost

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,316 posts
  • LocationOhio

Dave's musicality and his relaxed and fluid movement are spectacular - very inspiring.

RickP

RickP

Dan RH Jr.

• Platinum
  • 12,551 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

Thanks for posting that Paul, I quite enjoyed that. I have been a Weckl fan for a long time and never really understood the disdain some drummers have for him.

I have heard he has a moody personality, maybe that is it, but his mastery of the drum set is undeniable IMHO.

Paradiddle

Paradiddle

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

One thing I've never liked about Dave/Vinnie/Gadd playing big band is their ride cymbal pulse is too "unclear" for me.  I much prefer Jeff Hamilton, Mel Lewis, Sonny Payne, or Buddy.  A super nice swing pulse that doesn't add a bunch of filler notes.  I must prefer the "older" swing pattern having grown up listening to that stuff.

This is very good playing however.  Dave also played with Buddy's band on the first Buddy Rich Memorial Scholarship gig at the Wiltern.  I was there.

Paradiddle

Paradiddle

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Listen to Buddy's relentless ride pulse and ALWAYS playing the two and four on the "sock cymbal"

My dad's big band always played this chart great. 

jaymandude

jaymandude

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,235 posts
  • Locationouter limits

One thing I've never liked about Dave/Vinnie/Gadd playing big band is their ride cymbal pulse is too "unclear" for me.  I much prefer Jeff Hamilton, Mel Lewis, Sonny Payne, or Buddy.  A super nice swing pulse that doesn't add a bunch of filler notes.  I must prefer the "older" swing pattern having grown up listening to that stuff.

This is very good playing however.  Dave also played with Buddy's band on the first Buddy Rich Memorial Scholarship gig at the Wiltern.  I was there.

by unclear do you mean broken/untraditional  as opposed to ding ding ga ding ding ga ding ding ga ding ding ga ding ding ga ding ding ga ding ding ga ding ding ga ding ?

Edited by jaymandude, 13 June 2018 - 04:31 PM.

Paradiddle

Paradiddle

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

by unclear do you mean broken/untraditional  as opposed to ding ding ga ding ding ga ding ding ga ding ding ga ding ding ga ding ding ga ding ding ga ding ding ga ding ?

Basically yes.  For bebop the "Tony" pattern works great as there is typically less noise happening (due to a smaller band).  For Big Band I prefer a more clear and driving pulse.  I also feel that Dave really doesn't swing that well.  He's an amazing player, but I personally do not like (and have never liked) his pulse.

Again - I'm a Mel Lewis, Buddy, Jeff Hamilton, Irv Cotler type of guy when it comes to big band.

jaymandude

jaymandude

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,235 posts
  • Locationouter limits

Basically yes.  For bebop the "Tony" pattern works great as there is typically less noise happening (due to a smaller band).  For Big Band I prefer a more clear and driving pulse.  I also feel that Dave really doesn't swing that well.  He's an amazing player, but I personally do not like (and have never liked) his pulse.

Again - I'm a Mel Lewis, Buddy, Jeff Hamilton, Irv Cotler type of guy when it comes to big band.

gotcha.  I have my own opinions, which i am choosing to share less frequently

Edited by jaymandude, 13 June 2018 - 05:47 PM.

& You Dont Stop

& You Dont Stop

Drumming Since '85

• Gold
  • 4,397 posts
  • LocationWichita Falls, Texas
Dave’s a first class player and this is a solid, solid performance but Buddy really kicked those charts in the ass. Dave just gives them a massage here.

Paradiddle

Paradiddle

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

gotcha.  I have my own opinions, which i am choosing to share less frequently

I understand and I'm not attacking Dave as a player.  His work with the original Electrik Band is some of my favorite jazz fusion playing of all time.

studrum

studrum

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,749 posts

One thing I've never liked about Dave/Vinnie/Gadd playing big band is their ride cymbal pulse is too "unclear" for me. I much prefer Jeff Hamilton, Mel Lewis, Sonny Payne, or Buddy. A super nice swing pulse that doesn't add a bunch of filler notes. I must prefer the "older" swing pattern having grown up listening to that stuff.

This is very good playing however. Dave also played with Buddy's band on the first Buddy Rich Memorial Scholarship gig at the Wiltern. I was there.

by unclear do you mean broken/untraditional as opposed to ding ding ga ding ding ga ding ding ga ding ding ga ding ding ga ding ding ga ding ding ga ding ding ga ding ?

Basically yes. For bebop the "Tony" pattern works great as there is typically less noise happening (due to a smaller band). For Big Band I prefer a more clear and driving pulse. I also feel that Dave really doesn't swing that well. He's an amazing player, but I personally do not like (and have never liked) his pulse.

I agree with this. I think it's because he spent too much time in straight 8th note land in the 80's and 90's, where precision become THE musical goal - not good. Hey, those were the evolving trends and he was of his time. He was and is an amazing drummer. There was some lore in the 90's that some folks had checked recordings and playing of great jazz drummers of the day versus a metronome. The king? Weckl. The least metronomic was Elvin Jones. You can guess which drummer I prefer. But they really are like apples and oranges; it all depends what you want.

For fine big band drumming, I'll add Terry Clarke.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users