I recently sold my 2nd kit. Rather, I did a partial trade for a nice snare + cash. This is action based on my thoughts in my "downsizing" thread here: http://www.drumforum...114-downsizing/
So what I'm left with is my 2008 DW Collectors in Broken Glass Finishply in 8x10, 9x12, 12x14, 14x16, 18x22.
Snares: Acrolite, 6.5x14 Black Beauty (LB417), and 2002 DW Collectors 10&6 Exotic Quilted Maple 5x14.
I ended up selling/trading the Frequent Flyer kit for a few reasons:
1. The Collector's kit is nicer
2. The Collector's kit has more drums/sizes and is more versatile
3. The Collector's kit is a wrap, not a lacquer and more durable; both for kids and gigging
4. The Collector's kit was sort of a gift from my wife. Basically I sold a kit and then the difference in cost counted as my birthday/father's day/anniversary gift for that year. It also was for my 31st birthday and my birthday is on the 31st, so golden birthday = golden drums. She gets a kick out of it.
Anyway, with all that said, here's where I'm still struggling just a little, and maybe it's stupid, buuuuuuut:
The 18x22 kick. It feels MASSIVE after sitting behind that 12x20 FF kick and I sit behind a 14x20 at church twice a week. At this point, my kit is only a home kit because I'm not gigging anywhere, but if I were to get a call, it would probably be either a small acoustic singer/songwriter type thing or some old jazz/R&B standards.
I feel right at home on downbeat sizes and so again, an 18x22 is world's apart from a 14x20.
Do I just suck it up and deal with the 18x22 (it does sound really good), or do I:
1. Try and sell the whole kit and find another in Broken Glass so the nostalgic gift part kinda stays the same, but get the sizes I want (12/14/20, maybe a 10 also)
2. Sell the 18x22 and try to find a 14x20 in Broken Glass.
Or, is there something I'm not considering? Thanks in advance either way for your input. And since we all like pics of drums, here's the kit currently set up 12/16/22 with the new Quilted Maple snare:
IMG_2819.JPG 150.56KB 0 downloads