Photo

OT: My 550 mile bike ride is complete (and boy am I tired...)

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

DanRH

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger

• Double Platinum
  • 20,480 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Hey All,

I thought I'd sum up my week long 550 mile bike ride. It's called the AIDS/LifeCycle ride and it is my 21st riding the thing. It's been running for 25 years and I started in '96, missing last year. The only thing that trains you properly is by riding at least 3-4 times a week with at least one long ride thrown in (60+ miles). I didn't do that this year (bad weather, excuses and driving Uber) and I paid for it dearly. Also, weighing in at 40 pounds heavier than last time I rode didn't help. Imaging riding with a 40 pound of cat litter attached to your waist! Wah, wah, wah... I know. I did however ride every inch of the thing. Neither one of us had any flat tires or bike issues!

My wife also rode for her 11th time. She's a rock star IMHO. She rode the whole thing except on Day 2 (longest day at 109 miles), she got swept because she had been riding with a slow friend and they arrived at rest stop 3 two minutes after it had been closed. If they call your ride at that point, you have no options but to get on the Sweep bus. She for 68 miles in that day.

In our opinion the worst part of this event is the camping. You ride all day, get in get your gear (from a gear truck), schlep it to your assigned spot in the tent grid, set up your tent, go for a shower, come back, go to dinner, then hit the sack. Next morning, you wake up at 4:30 am, go to breakfast, get dressed in your tent, tear your tent down, schlep your gear back to your assigned gear truck, get your bike and ride 85-100 miles. Ugg.. If we ever do it again, we'll stay in a hotel every night (called Princessing).

We rode into LA on Saturday, June 9th together (that was a rough trip driving through LA!!!!). Beautiful weather along the way with some great tailwinds at times.

Together we all raised 16.6 million. Kathryn and I raised 4,400 and 3,600 respectfully. 2,200 riders with about 700 crew members. We had from 6:30 am to 7 pm to finish the ride. Anyone on the course at 7pm got swept in. No one gets left behind to ride on their own.

Here's the route:

Day 1: San Francisco Cow Palace to Santa Cruz - 80 miles with 4700' of elevation gain. Along the coast.

Day 2: Santa Cruz to King City - 109 miles with 3000' of gain. Rode inland along 101 through the Salinas Valley

Day 3: King City to Paso Robles - 68 miles with 2200' of gain. All inland and the hottest day (95' at times)

Day 4: Paso Robles to Santa Maria - 88 miles with 3400' of gain. Inland to the coast (one of my favorite days)

Day 5: Santa Maria to Lompoc - 41 miles with 3000' of gain. Red Dress day. A recovery day with a lot of steep climbing.

Day 6: Lompoc to Ventura Beach - 88 miles with 2700' of gain. Another favorite of mine. Through Santa Barbara which I love!

Day 7: Ventura Beach to LA: 75 miles with 2300' of gain. First part is lovely. Last part, not so much. LA is crazy for a bike ride on a Saturday. My least favorite day.

I'll post each days pictures in separate posts in this thread since I'm limited to ten pictures per post.

Attached Files

Edited by DanRH, 14 June 2018 - 02:35 PM.

DanRH

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger

• Double Platinum
  • 20,480 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Day 2 Pics

Attached Files

DanRH

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger

• Double Platinum
  • 20,480 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Day 3 pics

Attached Files

drawtheline55

drawtheline55

Owner/admin

• Administrators
  • 3,301 posts
  • LocationBoston

Wow, hats off to you Dan, well done.

Ben

DanRH

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger

• Double Platinum
  • 20,480 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Day 4 pics

Attached Files

DanRH

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger

• Double Platinum
  • 20,480 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Day 5 pics

Attached Files

DanRH

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger

• Double Platinum
  • 20,480 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Day 6 pics

Attached Files

DanRH

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger

• Double Platinum
  • 20,480 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Day 7 pics:

Attached Files

bellbrass

bellbrass

Percussionist Maximus

• Gold
  • 5,829 posts
  • LocationBluegrass of Kentucky
That is really, really cool, Dan. I hope I have the time to do that someday. Nice photos, too! Bet ya don't feel fat now!

bellbrass

bellbrass

Percussionist Maximus

• Gold
  • 5,829 posts
  • LocationBluegrass of Kentucky
Didn't you have a bad wipeout one year during that ride?

DanRH

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger

• Double Platinum
  • 20,480 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Didn't you have a bad wipeout one year during that ride?

Yes. I was passing another cyclist when he went down and his bike wiped me out. We were going downhill and I hit the pavement at about 30 mph. Luckily neither one of us got hurt (thanks to multiple layers being worn because it was chilly). My wheel did get trashed and I had to sag in. I was lucky.

Edited by DanRH, 14 June 2018 - 03:49 PM.

DanRH

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger

• Double Platinum
  • 20,480 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area
BTW, last year I didn’t ride the ride but did play in Minnie Band which I included pics of above. Here’s a pic of me playing last year with them. It was fun but I’d rather be riding.

Attached Files

Dave

Dave

• Members
  • 340 posts
  • LocationDFW, TX

Day 7 pics:

:salute:  :salute:  Well done, Thx for sharing!

Treviso1

Treviso1

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 4,094 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Incredible Dan!  Kudos to you, brother.  

idrum4fun

idrum4fun

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,176 posts
  • Locationsouthern California

Dan...you're the man! A great ride for a worthy cause. Love all the pics...especially you as "Minnie"! Kudos, my friend!

-Mark

xsabers

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer

• Members
  • 9,761 posts

BTW, last year I didn’t ride the ride but did play in Minnie Band which I included pics of above. Here’s a pic of me playing last year with them. It was fun but I’d rather be riding.

Wow, never thought I'd see a pic of you that would make me prefer the kimono shot...  :blink:

lossforgain

lossforgain

Team DFO

• Moderators
  • 12,355 posts
  • LocationLancaster, PA

Great work Dan!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users