Photo

Vic Firth SD2 Bolero stick - anything similar with a nylon tip?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Potentate

• Platinum
  • 4,633 posts
  • LocationPebble Beach, CA

I had hand injuries requiring wrist surgery and since then, my R. hand is weaker so I switched to this fatter stick and I love it, plus I drop sticks much less.  I may be needing a nylon tip, though, for a project (this stick is wood with a pea-type tip that is very woody for jazz).

Anyway, does anyone know if the Bolero comes in a nylon tip?  I didn't see it on VF's site.  If not, any similar stick (thick, but with a plastic pea tip)???  Thank you.....

dale w miller

dale w miller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • LocationOcean, NJ
I’ve played that stick for twenty years now. Sorry, but I don’t know an alternative, but if you think about what it was intended for, you wouldn’t be surprised there isn’t one.

I personally would love a longer version.

Doubleroll

Doubleroll

Forum Guru

• Gold
  • 1,163 posts
  • LocationNY
Yeah I really like the SD2 but wanted just a bit more. So I ordered the SD1 but haven’t tried it yet...I haven’t seen a similar stick in nylon tip. Love the weight and thickness!

JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Potentate

• Platinum
  • 4,633 posts

Hmmm....I plays the SD4 combo for nearly 20 years.  After surgery, I had to switch to a thicker stick.  I love, love, LOVE the Bolero (don't know the intended use!), but my worry is I need to project over a band (not a jazz gig) so I want something similar but in nylon, which I normally dislike....oh well, maybe a standard 5A or something......thank you.

Elvis

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll

• Members
  • 10,066 posts
  • LocationPoulsbo, Wa.

I had hand injuries requiring wrist surgery and since then, my R. hand is weaker so I switched to this fatter stick and I love it, plus I drop sticks much less.  I may be needing a nylon tip, though, for a project (this stick is wood with a pea-type tip that is very woody for jazz).

Anyway, does anyone know if the Bolero comes in a nylon tip?  I didn't see it on VF's site.  If not, any similar stick (thick, but with a plastic pea tip)???  Thank you.....

The only stick I'm aware of with a ball shaped nylon tip is Regal Tip''s Quantum series.

There's a 1000 and a 3000, but they're both 16" long.

I don't know, check it out....might work for you anyway.

Elvis

JDA

JDA

Drummer Excelsior

• Members
  • 9,353 posts
  • LocationJeannette, Pa.

You can try a SD7 Whacker which is nylon tip only; in the same maple VF line (as is SD2)  not quite as thick not quite it seems as light.

Other than that. Maybe something Promark.

mesazoo

mesazoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

In the 80's Rod Morgentein used those as does Brian Blade.  Maybe apply some poly urethane on the tips for a little harder surface.

publius

publius

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 610 posts

Yeah I really like the SD2 but wanted just a bit more. So I ordered the SD1 but haven’t tried it yet...I haven’t seen a similar stick in nylon tip. Love the weight and thickness!

The SD1 ("General") is a beast.  It's a great stick, lighter because it's maple, but it's still a beast.  

cworrick

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  • LocationNortheast Indiana

Maybe apply some poly urethane on the tips for a little harder surface.

Maybe try a couple coats of Clear Nail Polish as well for a bit more attack.

CLMacPherson

CLMacPherson

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 675 posts
  • LocationCDA, Idaho
Possibly an sd9 Driver. Still maple and thick, but a larger tip.

XVIII Airborne

XVIII Airborne

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,135 posts
The VF Omar Hakim model has a small nylon tip, but it's hickory so it will be heavier than the SD2's. The OH has the same basic design though, short taper, pea size tip.

bernard

bernard

• Members
  • 385 posts
  • LocationJönköping, Sweden

Possibly an sd9 Driver. Still maple and thick, but a larger tip.

That is what I'd recommend as well. If you don't want _that_ cymbal sound, which you obviously don't if you are looking for a nylon tip, that would be the closest alternative.

I really like the Boleros, have been playing them since 84-85 something!

TheElectricCompany

TheElectricCompany

• Members
  • 396 posts
  • LocationHouston

Hmmm....I plays the SD4 combo for nearly 20 years.  After surgery, I had to switch to a thicker stick.  I love, love, LOVE the Bolero (don't know the intended use!), but my worry is I need to project over a band (not a jazz gig) so I want something similar but in nylon, which I normally dislike....oh well, maybe a standard 5A or something......thank you.

The Bolero was designed for orchestral snare drum.  They're incredibly comfortable sticks but I don't believe I could use them on a drum set.

JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Potentate

• Platinum
  • 4,633 posts

Thank you for the suggestions - will try clear nail polish and poly!

They are nice snare drum sticks.  I can totally see that.  They seem heavy because they're fat but they are pretty light too.  I do wish theyc came in hickory because I go thru a right stick per month with all the jazz ding-a-linging.......

Seb77

Seb77

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,210 posts
  • LocationGermany

I 'd think there's a minimu size for nylone tips? The Omar Hakim stick is arleady a bit larger. The Erekine ride stick used to come with nylon tip as well, that's be tha really small tip I'd say. DIscontiuend, though.

Why nylon? For durability? I'd try some larger maple tips, they just get smaller over time.

I had a pair of SD9 for along time and when I finally went back to the shop to get a new pair I thought they had changed the tip shape, my old pair was sanded down so much just by playing.

rondrums51

rondrums51

rondrums51

• Members
  • 9,128 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Florida

Zildjian Kozo sticks have a small barrel shaped nylon tip. They absolutely kill on cymbals. They also have great balance, and they're a tad longer--16 1/4".  I'm using these sticks pretty much exclusively. I'm primarily a jazz player, but I did a pretty loud rock gig last New Year's eve, and the sticks cut right through the volume. The diameter is .550", smaller than Vic Firth Boleros, but they feel quite hefty. They're also hickory. The Bolero sticks are maple, which is softer and doesn't last as long as hickory. 

https://zildjian.com...eries-drumstick

Elvis

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll

• Members
  • 10,066 posts
  • LocationPoulsbo, Wa.

The VF Omar Hakim model has a small nylon tip, but it's hickory so it will be heavier than the SD2's. The OH has the same basic design though, short taper, pea size tip.

Hey! you might be onto something! Appears to be basically the Hickory version of the Bolero.

http://vicfirth.com/...cks/omar-hakim/

mesazoo

mesazoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Hey! you might be onto something! Appears to be basically the Hickory version of the Bolero.

http://vicfirth.com/...cks/omar-hakim/

The Bolero is .635 diameter and the Omar is .585. Taper looks similar though.

jaymandude

jaymandude

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,298 posts
  • Locationouter limits

That Omar will feel nothing like a bolero, at least to me...

Sinclair

Sinclair

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 538 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

The Firth Boleros were made with a nylon tip. I have a pair. Possibly discontinued as a quick search turned up nothing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users