• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

Castnblast

Castnblast

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 723 posts
  • LocationOntario Canada
Have been playing a DW 5000 single for the last 20 years. It’s been good but it’s done.
Need a new one and have not paid any attention to what new or cool or worth checking out.

Could get another 5000 any be happy. The only thing I know is I don’t want an axis.
Any great new pedals to look into?

Appreciate it

RogersLudwig

RogersLudwig

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,389 posts
  • LocationFort Stinkindesert, NM
The new Rogers pedal will be the next one I buy.

DrummerJustLikeDad

DrummerJustLikeDad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Ha, I'm at a loss.  Having just come off one of my best practice days in a long time, where I saw a responsiveness in my foot I once thought I'd never see, I was all set to recommend you the Axis Long Board. 

Obviously we all have our preferences for the gear that suits us personally, but may I ask if you're sure you don't want to consider Axis?

EvEnStEvEn

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~

• Members
  • 16,042 posts
  • LocationRed River

I've been using lightweight no-frills single pedals for the past several years and they feel perfect to me,  my 2 favorites are:

Pearl P-930 "Demonator"

Tama HP-200 "Iron Cobra Jr"

You'll find either one for about $50-70

They pop up used on ebay every week.

For heavy duty performance I like the Gibraltar Intruder chain & direct drive models

Tama CW

Tama CW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • LocationSE Connecticut

I've started using Yamaha's 1980's Recording Custom belt drive pedals.  They're easily found for $50-$65 and rather fast/responsive imo.   I love vintage stuff. If the pros could do it back then with these....then so can we.    On my Tama kit I'm still using the pair of Tama Pro Beat double pedals I bought in the mid-1990's.  Still plenty good for me. 

gwbasley

gwbasley

Drum Czar

• Platinum
  • 2,385 posts
  • LocationHoliday, Florida

If you liked you DW 5K then buy a good used one online.  I say "stick with what works for you"...and not what works for me or anyone else!

kb

kb

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,272 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

I've been using lightweight no-frills single pedals for the past several years and they feel perfect to me,  my 2 favorites are:

Pearl P-930 "Demonator"

Tama HP-200 "Iron Cobra Jr"

Yes, and Yamaha and Gibraltar make them too....I just wish they all had spikes on 'em, that's the only thing I want in the way of frills....

I think if you look at the current DW you might be surprised, unpleasantly.....bigger, heavier and as far as I can tell, they all have plates instead of the old radius rod....

Good luck!

edge

edge

• Members
  • 370 posts

I have an Axis A Longboard for $125. it is almost like new. very light use. I too like vintage strap pedals

RickP

RickP

Dan RH Jr.

• Platinum
  • 12,652 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North
Pedals are such a personal thing for drummers . I really dislike DW pedals and love Axis pedals . Most people Au have chatted to that are DW pedal owners are looking for different characteristics in their pedal than I do . I find DE pedals feel too heavy and are bereft of nuance and subtlety , then I mostly play heel down and lower to mid volume gigs .

One pedal that I ha e found that is a happy medium between the smooth light feel of the Axis and the heavier more solid feel of the DW pedals is the Tama Speed Cobra. It is very adjustable and I am sure you can find an action you will like . It is also built very well too .

icetech

icetech

• Members
  • 430 posts
  • LocationDetroit

Drumnetics... have had one for 4 years, still in love with it. 

http://drumnetics.com/

Edited by icetech, 12 July 2018 - 06:44 AM.

douglasfir

douglasfir

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 896 posts
Tama Classic
JoJo

Buffalo_drummer

Buffalo_drummer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY

DW Direct Drive

cplueard

cplueard

• Members
  • 254 posts
  • LocationAZ

I've been a DW user my whole life (5000, 8000, and 9000) and while I've owned other pedals I keep coming back to DW's as my main. That being said I've been gigging with either a PDP Concept long board or a Gibraltar 6700 for the past few years now and they both feel good to me and I don't want to pull my double pedals off my home kit to take to gigs where I don't need doublebass. They both come in chain or direct drive, it's really a matter of if you want longboard footboards or not. The only pain with the gibraltar is it needs a key to tighten on the bass hoop.

DanRH

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger

• Double Platinum
  • 20,593 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area
For me, Speed Cobra.

Doubleroll

Doubleroll

Forum Guru

• Gold
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationNY
Been using DW pedals ever since I traded in my speed kings. Have a DW 9000 on the home studio kit and a single 5000 for gigs. For an all around solid pedal I would go with the DW 5000 series. A bit heavy feeling but built like a tank. Tried various pedals, Pearl, etc, but went back to DW.

Ickybaby

Ickybaby

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,114 posts
  • LocationNormal, IL

I've been a Camco, DW 5000, chain and sprocket player forever. I love that feel.

I bought a new Tama classic in March......I'm absolutely in love with it. I can really control it and it has adjustment options that are easy to make on the fly.

Ludwig1

Ludwig1

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 575 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

I've stuck with the DW 5000.  That's the one that continually feels the best to me and is as solid as any pedal out there.

rummy

rummy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • LocationLombard IL

I'm loving my Yamaha direct drive.  It's every bit as good as my buddy's Trick, but for half the cost.

Hanover Fiste

Hanover Fiste

• Members
  • 284 posts
  • LocationUnder The Loc-Nar
The Vector is really good.

Tmcfour

Tmcfour

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,519 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia
If you don't want another DW look in to the Iron Cobras. Great pedals. The 900 series has a super smooth feel to it. Ypu can usually find them used at decent price.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users