• LocationGrew up in NY.. now, Georgia

New video...

bellbrass

bellbrass

Percussionist Maximus

• Gold
  • 5,870 posts
  • LocationBluegrass of Kentucky

That was great - always love to see Buddy with The Tonight Show Orchestra. That may be the second-best orchestra he ever played with, after Harry James. By the way, the sound on his kit wasn't too bad for three microphones - bass, right around the toms, and overhead.

icetech

icetech

• Members
  • 430 posts
  • LocationDetroit

Most of the videos i have seen of him were in the 70's or so.. i ran into one that looks like mid 50's black and white ( i can't seem to find it again) but OMG... just insane how he was as a young man.. really shocking to see. 

Pocketplayer

Pocketplayer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • LocationCA

Agreed...Buddy was a beast...and Tommy Aldridge is breaking new ground.

Dude is SIXTY-EIGHT years old here...this is crazy physical demanding

drumming of a 25 year old!  I was just thinking of Buddy this morning

before I saw this thread and Tommy, trying to grasp what other drummer

plays like Tommy at his age???  

piccupstix

piccupstix

• Members
  • 422 posts
  • Locationpasadena, ca

And nature is still trying to recover!

Scott K Fish

Scott K Fish

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,266 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Anyone know what became of Buddy's autograph book(s)?

rpludwig

rpludwig

• Members
  • 485 posts
  • LocationNew Bern, NC

maybe my age kickin in, and no offense meant, but I see no comparison of Tommy to Buddy, other than perhaps stamina!...jmho.

trappemann

trappemann

Advanced Snr. Member

• Gold
  • 907 posts
  • LocationMaryland

"We will NEVER see another Buddy."

When Dennis Chambers tells you that, I am pretty sure it is true.

CLMacPherson

CLMacPherson

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 675 posts
  • LocationCDA, Idaho
The commercials...haha

rondrums51

rondrums51

rondrums51

• Members
  • 9,122 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Florida

When Buddy was on the Tonight show, he would typically bring in a chart for the band, but he almost never made the rehearsal. The band would rehearse the chart with their regular drummer. Buddy would show up at air time and play the s*** out of it. 

The guys in that band were monster players. They could read fly s***. Not to mention the amazing soloists like Ernie Watts, et al. 

Now, somebody please explain to me how the so-called music business is better than it was in those days. Today, we have no talent singers who have no idea what key they're in, pop bands that know five chords, making millions. 

If somebody would invent a time travel machine, I would go back to that time when the music business actually required knowledge and talent. 

icetech

icetech

• Members
  • 430 posts
  • LocationDetroit

When Buddy was on the Tonight show, he would typically bring in a chart for the band, but he almost never made the rehearsal. The band would rehearse the chart with their regular drummer. Buddy would show up at air time and play the s*** out of it. 

The guys in that band were monster players. They could read fly s***. Not to mention the amazing soloists like Ernie Watts, et al. 

Now, somebody please explain to me how the so-called music business is better than it was in those days. Today, we have no talent singers who have no idea what key they're in, pop bands that know five chords, making millions. 

If somebody would invent a time travel machine, I would go back to that time when the music business actually required knowledge and talent. 

That would be about 1780.... when gods had 60 instruments in their heads and made music that will stand for 1000 years :) But i do get what you mean for sure.. 

singleordoubleheads

singleordoubleheads

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,387 posts
  • Locationsouth of the 'burgh

Ron you are 1000% on the Money!!!!

Tama CW

Tama CW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • LocationSE Connecticut

I was blown away when I saw this Marvin "Smitty" Smith vs. Steve Smith drum battle from 1991 just a few months ago.   Watch Smitty at 1:35.  That speed and precision defies belief....in his early 20's then.  That guy could have been the next Buddy.  You'd swear someone sped up the footage...almost robotic.   Incredible. 

https://www.youtube....h?v=DctHXrLYG8M

Edited by Tama CW, 14 July 2018 - 04:44 PM.

icetech

icetech

• Members
  • 430 posts
  • LocationDetroit

Wow, i have never heard of Smitty, but i think the smile on steve's face just says it all. that's crazy. And the size of those toms :)

P.S. at 5:10 it looks like sped up video.. that is just insane 

Edited by icetech, 14 July 2018 - 06:28 AM.

spelman

spelman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationSweden

I was blown away when I saw this Marvin "Smitty" Smith vs. Steve Smith drum battle from 1991 a few months back.   Watch Smitty at 1:35.  That speed and precision defies belief....in his early 20's then.  That guy could have been the next Buddy.  You'd swear someone sped up the footage...almost robotic.   Incredible. 

He was born in 1961, so he was actually 30 yo at that time. Still amazing, though!

rondrums51

rondrums51

rondrums51

• Members
  • 9,122 posts

That would be about 1780.... when gods had 60 instruments in their heads and made music that will stand for 1000 years :) But i do get what you mean for sure.. 

Absolutely agree. But even in the 20th century, there was a time when the standards were very high for professional musicians. I've been in the music biz for nearly 50 years, and I've watched the bar get lower and lower. There are still great players out there, but you won't hear them in the mainstream media. And I don't imagine that they're making much money. 

Great art persists in spite of the economy. But what a shame that the mainstream media ignores it. 

rhythmace

rhythmace

Rhythmace

• Gold
  • 10,604 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Texas

The Buddy "West Side Story" solo and playing is about as good as it gets. Ace

GeneZ

GeneZ

DFO Potentate

• Gold
  • 4,231 posts
  • LocationGrew up in NY.. now, Georgia

The better you get the more you will be able to understand what Buddy was doing all along... 

Many things he did goes right by us when we had no way to grasp what he was doing.

rondrums51

rondrums51

rondrums51

• Members
  • 9,122 posts

The better you get the more you will be able to understand what Buddy was doing all along... 

Many things he did goes right by us when we had no way to grasp what he was doing.

Yeah, you're trying to analyze what he's doing, but at some point, you just give up. 

He was supernatural. And he kept on keeping on in spite of his heart problems, lower back problems, etc. He never gave less than 110 percent. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users