• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

cochlea

cochlea

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,578 posts
  • LocationWestern New York

I don't know if this has already been discussed here but Drum Center of Portsmouth recently posted to YT a shootout they did with 6 different Ludwig metal snares. I really enjoy these comparisons, especially when they've made the effort to control for variables (e.g. size, heads, tuning) other than shell type. If you haven't seen it yet, I would encourage you to do so while not looking at your screen since I think seeing each drum as it's being played adds an element of bias.

There are 6 different snares (BB, COB, raw brass, regular Supraphonic, Supraphonic Bronze, Copperphonic), all 6.5x14, played in succession by the same drummer. Unfortunately, they didn't include an Acrolite.

https://www.youtube....h?v=0iFLrHercZU

I was really surprised by how all the brass shelled drums sounded so different. I didn't realize the plating (or lack thereof) had such a dramatic effect on a drum made of the same material. I liked the BB and regular Supraphonic over the others, with the Copperphonic coming in a distant 3rd). The raw brass sounded very harsh to me.

jtpaistegeist

jtpaistegeist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • LocationKentucky USA

I am a Copperphonoholic!

Redbeard77

Redbeard77

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 843 posts
  • LocationLouisiana

I've only had a chance to listen on crappy speakers, but the raw brass really stood out as different from the rest. I wish they had put it right next to the other two brass snares for a more direct comparison, but it seemed like the driest of the bunch.

ThomFloor

ThomFloor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Nice video thanks. BB and Raw Brass were my faves. Was surprise how lacklustre the COB was. 

Buffalo_drummer

Buffalo_drummer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY

BB and Copperphonic sound the best to me. I guess it just confirms why I own both.

Hater

Hater

Genuine GMS Junkie

• Members
  • 1,967 posts
  • LocationRoseville, Minnesota
As someone who really doesn’t like the sound of Ludwig snares at all, that video confirmed all of my previous experiences that I’ve had with their various products over the years.

I currently do not own any Ludwig snares and I probably never will again. If you guys get your sound out of a Ludwig snare, then I’m very happy for you.

Also…a warning for those of you ANTI GASKET people, every single drum in this video still has the gaskets installed. So clutch your pearls or do whatever you need to in order to make it through the video.   :laughing6:  :laughing5:

chris_dw_drums

chris_dw_drums

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,900 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Copper and Supra FTW.

JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Potentate

• Platinum
  • 4,605 posts
  • LocationPebble Beach, CA
Black Beauty in the first go-around and then the bronze in the second go-around. I have both those drums and they're awesome. However, the raw brass looks sick!

funkypoodle

funkypoodle

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,765 posts
  • LocationQuébec, Canada

My favourite looking one was actually my least favourite sounding, the Raw Brass. It seemed to want to generate a lower pitch than the others in the same tuning. My second least favourite was the Copper Phonic, which is basically as pretty as the Raw Brass. The Supra was my favourite, especially in the 2nd part, with a solid backbeat. I'm not a big wide-open snare overtone guy and would prefer to hear these beasts with a slightly beefier head or dab of moongel. This exercise made me feel better about my fugly old Pearl 4514 COB. 

K.O.

K.O.

DFO Drum Lord

• Members
  • 18,269 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Unfortunately, they didn't include an Acrolite.

Could that have been by design? The Acro is probably the least expensive of the bunch. if it came out on top, or even just held it's own against the rest, that might negatively effect the sales of the others.

Rich K.

Rich K.

Drummer Excelsior

• Platinum
  • 9,891 posts
  • LocationSavannah, GA

I was surprised that the BB and brass one sounded different.

I liked them all except for the regular chrome supra.

For me the bronze was 1 and the BB 2.

jaymandude

jaymandude

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,293 posts
  • Locationouter limits

random comments..

1) what the mikes hear ( their set up) vs. what your ears hear.

2) Does anyone here tune to that sound ? Just curious.   I'm generally tighter.

3) When the copper comes on it's noticably different

4) The Supra is  less "complex", and maybe easier to mix with a band ?

5) I've said it before, for modern drums I prefer bronze, but in this video the regular BB sounds great..

Edited by jaymandude, 13 July 2018 - 10:18 AM.

RickP

RickP

Dan RH Jr.

• Platinum
  • 12,652 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

I still like the Black Beauty best. 

I have owned a Copperphonic and found it to have a very small sweet spot compared to other Ludwig Metal shell snares.

The Bronze shell sounds thin to my ear.

The Ludaloy Supra and the COB Supras are neck and neck for runners up to he Black Beauty for me.

I really did not like the sound or aesthetics of the raw brass at all.

jtpaistegeist

jtpaistegeist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • LocationKentucky USA

I still like the Black Beauty best. 

I have owned a Copperphonic and found it to have a very small sweet spot compared to other Ludwig Metal shell snares.

The Bronze shell sounds thin to my ear.

The Ludaloy Supra and the COB Supras are neck and neck for runners up to he Black Beauty for me.

I really did not like the sound or aesthetics of the raw brass at all.

I have experienced this with the Copperphonic in the shallower depths.  I have a new one now 8x14 with cast hoops.  This thing will take any tuning I throw at it.  Even with the diplomat weighted stock head.  

stretch33

stretch33

Drum Czar

• Platinum
  • 2,730 posts
  • LocationSanta Cruz, California
Yep, they all sound like........snare drums.....

I'm a Ludwig [and Craviotto] guy when it comes to my snare drums.
I don't think the differences would be that noticeable in the situations I play in.
I also don't own any of them.

I own and use a 1929 Super Ludwig 6.5x14 (NOB) and a 100th anniversary 5x14 Black Magic laser etched.

Stretch

bolweevil

bolweevil

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,696 posts
  • LocationEau Claire, WI

How could I not click on a thread with this sort of title?

I thought the COB got shafted somehow...maybe it was the tuning or heads or something, but my 5" model has a lot more life than is evident in this video.  Here I like the BB.

cplueard

cplueard

• Members
  • 254 posts
  • LocationAZ

I liked the BB on the snare section but if sounded like it thinned out once they added a beat. That raw brass has heft for days though. Super thick and round with the beat on both regular hits and rim shots.

shuffle

shuffle

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 5,167 posts
  • LocationReno/Tahoe
The BB stole it but all of them have character!

bongomania

bongomania

DFO Potentate

• Platinum
  • 3,054 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Cool video, thanks for sharing. I liked the BB best by a notable margin, and the chromed ones least. The copper and raw brass are tied for second in my opinion, even though they don't sound the same, but they had qualities I like to the same degree. I might prefer the raw brass if I wanted that super fat hefty sound all the time.

DWSlingerland45

DWSlingerland45

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,158 posts
  • LocationMount Holly New Jersey

Unfortunately, they didn't include an Acrolite.

Could that have been by design? The Acro is probably the least expensive of the bunch. if it came out on top, or even just held it's own against the rest, that might negatively effect the sales of the others.

Exactly what I was thinking Kevin. I see alot of their high end snares sit for long periods of time in certain shops. But you can't seem to find an acro to play. Disclaimer I do own 2 Supras in 5 and 6.5 and one BB in 5" depth but all were bought second hand. Love them all... But I've always wanted a straight up comparison with a good Acrolite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users