• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

singleordoubleheads

singleordoubleheads

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,420 posts
  • Locationsouth of the 'burgh

Dan, I always wish I could play in a band like the Big Jangle and wish you all the success in the world,BUT...

Everytime I hear you talk about it, I always wonder--do you prefer the Stan Lynch or Steve Ferrone era?  I assume they are both enjoyable, but I am a HUGE Stan guy (no knock on Steve at all) and know I would LOVE playing the "Stan tunes" much more than the Steve.  

Where do you come down on this?  Just curious....Thanks!

JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy

Percussionist Maximus

• Platinum
  • 5,172 posts
  • LocationPebble Beach, CA

You know, there a few of us out there that love Petty (RIP!) and also dream of a gig with a TP cover band......

I saw TP in the 90's with Ferrone.  It was fantastic but the drums were not 100% exactly off the record bit-for-bit.  As a drum nerd, I could tell the difference, but it was still an awesome show.  He was quite a performer and had great stage presence (TP that is)........

As for Lynch, I don't really listen to any TP after the 90's so all the songs I like have Lynch on them.......I think they both sound great.  For me it's more the songs versus the playing......

Bonzoholic

Bonzoholic

Helluva Nice Guy

• Members
  • 8,767 posts
  • LocationPrescott, AZ.

I'm a Stan fan also. He had a certain loose swagger in his playing that I really enjoyed. The fact that he did a lot of the backing vocals was a bonus also. Don't get me wrong. I love me some Ferrone, but I prefer Stan's playing overall.

Hemant*

Hemant*

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,513 posts
  • LocationDC/Baltimore

There seemed to be just a little organic "dirt" or "grit" to Stan's feel and playing that fit that band a little better.  He made them sound like a really tremendous bar band.  Steve is a monster player for sure with his own unique feel - technically more proficient -  but I prefer Stan. 

It is akin to when I saw The Who in 1989 and Simon Phillips was in the throne.  He was amazing - for sure - but even as a budding drummer I could tell it did not have that dirt/grit that Moon provided to the band. 

DanRH

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger

• Double Platinum
  • 20,879 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area
I love all versions of TP so for me it’s both. Two totally different players as we all know. Listen to any of the hits before ‘94 and it’s Stan all the way. But listen to You don’t Know How it Feels or You Wreck Me and it’s SF for me.

Stan was also a rusher (as I am) but it worked! SF? The man is as solid as it gets.

I’m so lucky to be playing songs from both eras!!!

One of my favorites with Steve!

Edited by DanRH, 13 July 2018 - 01:04 PM.

singleordoubleheads

singleordoubleheads

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,420 posts
  • Locationsouth of the 'burgh

I love all versions of TP so for me it’s both. Two totally different players as we all know. Listen to any of the hits before ‘94 and it’s Stan all the way. But listen to You don’t Know How it Feels or You Wreck Me and it’s SF for me.

Stan was also a rusher (as I am) but it worked! SF? The man is as solid as it gets.

One of my favorites with Steve!

Right on Dan.  I wondered how you approached this.  I sure love Steve who is obviously a beast, but Stan was almost irreplaceable to me, except maybe for the fact that Tom's writing style changed a LOT between say 1979-89, esp when the Jeff Lynne influence really took over--it didn't seem to be a good fit for Stan's loose, rubbery feel.  

Steve has perfect time and his playing feels more "squared off" for lack of a better term vs Stan who was tight-but-loose.  I like to compare it to James Taylor---even tho he has had the best of the best drummers for decades, to me at least, Carlos was THE perfect drummer for JT.  That's how I view Stan.  

I imagine it would be a blast to get to play BOTH styles with a great band like TBJ.  I had to practically beg my old band to learn Don't Do Me Like That, but it quickly became an audience fave (plus I got to play "that" fill!!)

wflkurt

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus

• Members
  • 8,832 posts
  • LocationChichester NH

I saw TP back in 1988 with Stan on drums and again in the 200's with Steve on drums. I also saw Steve around 1990 with Eric Clapton. Steve is a great drummer and could probably play circles around Stan but I actually prefer Stan with Petty. I used to HATE that fat back snare sound when I was a kid as all the guys I liked had a cracking higher pitched sound but I realized years ago that Stan's sound was perfect for that music. 

Paradiddle

Paradiddle

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,318 posts

I'm a rare bird in that I both like Petty's albums and the Ferrone's drumming far more beginning at Wildflowers.  Ferrone is the "steam locomotive" as Tom puts his.  Powerful and solid.  He can swing his ass off if he wants, but lays a perfect foundation for the band to build on. 

Stan's playing can be described as more distinct or styleish, but almost felt to dainty and floopy at times for me.  Obviously he benefits from playing on the biggest radio hits so his "style" is identified with the Petty canon that most of us grew up with.

My favorite Petty albums are Wildflowers, Echo, Last DJ, She's the One soundtrack (with Bisquera) and Highway Companion.  Then all the old stuff.  This could be just because I got burned out on hearing The Waiting a million times on the radio in So Cal growing up.  

I Should Have Known It is a KILLER song and Ferrone's drumming is perfect.  Plus Steve is a super humble and nice guy.

He was Tom's favorite drummer.  That's a pretty bold statement considering who he's played with.

I miss Tom every day.  Our band opened for the Dirty Knobs last week (Campbell's band) and it brought a bunch of emotions up as I'll never hear another new Petty song or see them live again.  Man this getting old stuff sucks.

One of my favorite Petty songs to hear and play.  Listen how relaxed and solid that grove is, unique fills, perfect.  I'd say he's got style.  :)

drummerbill

drummerbill

Percussionist Maximus

• Gold
  • 5,241 posts
  • LocationNY-NJ Tri-state Area

Geeze, I thought this thread would be questioning what new tubs he scored this month !!  ;-)   :-)  {Ha Ha !}

High on Stress

High on Stress

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,812 posts
  • LocationMPLS

Geeze, I thought this thread would be questioning what new tubs he scored this month !!  :wink:   :icon_smile:  {Ha Ha !}

Ha!  Yes, that's what I thought as well.

tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 858 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Geeze, I thought this thread would be questioning what new tubs he scored this month !!  :wink:   :icon_smile:  {Ha Ha !}

Ha!  Yes, that's what I thought as well.

Isn't that a pinned topic? :laughing6:

AtlantaDrumGuy

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,610 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA
I like both, but SF sounds like the studio guy. Stan sounded like a band drummer, if that makes sense. I think the magic happened with Stan...imperfections and all. And that, in a way, might contribute to that vibe in a way. It’s sort of like Liberty D with Billy Joel...you just can’t replace that sound...such a big part of that band’s sound. The older I get, the more I’m becoming a band guy vs studio guys making up bands.

Although there are several studio guys that I’m a big fan of...that manage to sound great in all settings.

Edited by AtlantaDrumGuy, 19 July 2018 - 08:51 PM.

Houndog

Houndog

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,010 posts
  • LocationOklahoma City

One of my favorites with Steve 

I'm curious as to the rusher comment . please elaborate .

DanRH

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger

• Double Platinum
  • 20,879 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

One of my favorites with Steve 

I'm curious as to the rusher comment . please elaborate .

Rusher was meant as playing on top.  That's the way I heard it anyway. It's not meant as a criticism BTW, just as a description. I'm the same way. 

Edited by DanRH, 20 July 2018 - 11:06 AM.

jaymandude

jaymandude

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,393 posts
  • Locationouter limits

who would you rather listen to ?  vs who would you rather be in a band with ?

it's been said 100,00 times, the guy who is easier to get along with gets the gig. 

AtlantaDrumGuy

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,610 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA
No doubt that relationships play a huge role (and being a good guy to be around), but you still gotta show up and play. A little while back, I got a call to be a sub on a church gig. My friend who I’ve known (and played music with) for many years is the one who referred me...and he is in the band. But he isn’t the guy making the call on who to hire. I’m a nice guy, but if I did a poor job of playing, I can guarantee they wouldn’t keep calling back. For $150 a gig, there are about 100 other drummers in this city that would take that gig. That’s decent change for a gig at the local level. We have tons of drummers, so they can afford to be selective if they choose. But I do agree that being a cool guy has something to do with it all...I’m just saying, still need those skills to make it happen.

Edited by AtlantaDrumGuy, 20 July 2018 - 02:33 PM.

DanRH

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger

• Double Platinum
  • 20,879 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

No doubt that relationships play a huge role (and being a good guy to be around), but you still gotta show up and play. A little while back, I got a call to be a sub on a church gig. My friend who I’ve known (and played music with) for many years is the one who referred me...and he is in the band. But he isn’t the guy making the call on who to hire. I’m a nice guy, but if I did a poor job of playing, I can guarantee they wouldn’t keep calling back. For $150 a gig, there are about 100 other drummers in this city that would take that gig. That’s decent change for a gig at the local level. We have tons of drummers, so they can afford to be selective if they choose. But I do agree that being a cool guy has something to do with it all...I’m just saying, still need those skills to make it happen.

True!

jaymandude

jaymandude

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,393 posts
  • Locationouter limits
Yes. Very true. My assumption is that there's a lot of guys who can play.

poppies77

poppies77

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,547 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles
Lynch compared to Ferrone is one of the more challenging thought experiments around. Ferrone is in my book one of the all-time greats, and terribly underappreciated even with as lauded as he is. Then you’ve got Lynch, one of the best fits in a band context ever. Dan is a lucky dude to cover what he does!

Olderschool

Olderschool

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,528 posts
  • LocationUsa

Damn....I had no idea there were so many people here with the name Dan....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users