• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

singleordoubleheads

singleordoubleheads

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,387 posts
  • Locationsouth of the 'burgh

Dan, I always wish I could play in a band like the Big Jangle and wish you all the success in the world,BUT...

Everytime I hear you talk about it, I always wonder--do you prefer the Stan Lynch or Steve Ferrone era?  I assume they are both enjoyable, but I am a HUGE Stan guy (no knock on Steve at all) and know I would LOVE playing the "Stan tunes" much more than the Steve.  

Where do you come down on this?  Just curious....Thanks!

JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Potentate

• Platinum
  • 4,605 posts
  • LocationPebble Beach, CA

You know, there a few of us out there that love Petty (RIP!) and also dream of a gig with a TP cover band......

I saw TP in the 90's with Ferrone.  It was fantastic but the drums were not 100% exactly off the record bit-for-bit.  As a drum nerd, I could tell the difference, but it was still an awesome show.  He was quite a performer and had great stage presence (TP that is)........

As for Lynch, I don't really listen to any TP after the 90's so all the songs I like have Lynch on them.......I think they both sound great.  For me it's more the songs versus the playing......

Bonzoholic

Bonzoholic

Helluva Nice Guy

• Members
  • 8,708 posts
  • LocationPrescott, AZ.

I'm a Stan fan also. He had a certain loose swagger in his playing that I really enjoyed. The fact that he did a lot of the backing vocals was a bonus also. Don't get me wrong. I love me some Ferrone, but I prefer Stan's playing overall.

Hemant*

Hemant*

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,506 posts
  • LocationDC/Baltimore

There seemed to be just a little organic "dirt" or "grit" to Stan's feel and playing that fit that band a little better.  He made them sound like a really tremendous bar band.  Steve is a monster player for sure with his own unique feel - technically more proficient -  but I prefer Stan. 

It is akin to when I saw The Who in 1989 and Simon Phillips was in the throne.  He was amazing - for sure - but even as a budding drummer I could tell it did not have that dirt/grit that Moon provided to the band. 

DanRH

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger

• Double Platinum
  • 20,593 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area
I love all versions of TP so for me it’s both. Two totally different players as we all know. Listen to any of the hits before ‘94 and it’s Stan all the way. But listen to You don’t Know How it Feels or You Wreck Me and it’s SF for me.

Stan was also a rusher (as I am) but it worked! SF? The man is as solid as it gets.

I’m so lucky to be playing songs from both eras!!!

One of my favorites with Steve!

Edited by DanRH, 13 July 2018 - 01:04 PM.

singleordoubleheads

singleordoubleheads

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,387 posts
  • Locationsouth of the 'burgh

I love all versions of TP so for me it’s both. Two totally different players as we all know. Listen to any of the hits before ‘94 and it’s Stan all the way. But listen to You don’t Know How it Feels or You Wreck Me and it’s SF for me.

Stan was also a rusher (as I am) but it worked! SF? The man is as solid as it gets.

I’m so lucky to be playing songs from both eras!!!

One of my favorites with Steve!

Right on Dan.  I wondered how you approached this.  I sure love Steve who is obviously a beast, but Stan was almost irreplaceable to me, except maybe for the fact that Tom's writing style changed a LOT between say 1979-89, esp when the Jeff Lynne influence really took over--it didn't seem to be a good fit for Stan's loose, rubbery feel.  

Steve has perfect time and his playing feels more "squared off" for lack of a better term vs Stan who was tight-but-loose.  I like to compare it to James Taylor---even tho he has had the best of the best drummers for decades, to me at least, Carlos was THE perfect drummer for JT.  That's how I view Stan.  

I imagine it would be a blast to get to play BOTH styles with a great band like TBJ.  I had to practically beg my old band to learn Don't Do Me Like That, but it quickly became an audience fave (plus I got to play "that" fill!!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users