• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Potentate

• Platinum
  • 4,605 posts
  • LocationPebble Beach, CA

I am contemplating buying a snare with these hoops - 14", 10 hole, in chrome.

How much different are they than regular die cast hoops?  Anything different than any other type of hoop?  I think they cost $170 just for the hoops so that's crazy - there must be some benefit...thanks....

chris_dw_drums

chris_dw_drums

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,900 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

I sent a p.m.

bongomania

bongomania

DFO Potentate

• Platinum
  • 3,054 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

I have a set of their original version, 3mm stainless (not chrome). They have a similar feel to die cast, but they resonate better. I got them used for half price, and at that rate, I like them pretty well, but not enough to buy a second set. If you're a hard hitter then they could dent sticks just like a die cast or stick chopper.

They now have different mm thicknesses available, as well as aluminum and iron, last I looked. So those may sound or feel different, worth a try.

As far as buying a used drum that already has them installed, go for it--there are no real down sides unless you generally prefer a really open sounding hoop.

clowndog

clowndog

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationMelbourne Australia (can't believe I left Cali)

The hoops are bad a** and different enough from anything out there. I really like them!

Markkuliini

Markkuliini

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,217 posts
  • LocationSweden/Finland
I absolutely love them! I have just one pair (too bad they cost so much), and they sound quite a bit different compared to triple flanged and die casts, they have really nice and focused bottom end and they lack that annoying ultrahigh whistle that die casts have. I did comparison video on my Pearl COB that really seemed to benefit from these hoops. On some snares the difference was not as big for instance on Craviotto maple, but Angel hoops sounded better on pretty much all the snares I tried them on.

Here's the video I did.

Buffalo_drummer

Buffalo_drummer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY

I assume for the Angel rims [or die cast for that matter] you only want to replace the batter hoop? I also assume that the Angel hoops are hand made and the reason the crazy high pricing?

JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Potentate

• Platinum
  • 4,605 posts
  • LocationPebble Beach, CA

The hoops are on a "custom" snare, the brand of which I've never heard of.  The price is slightly more than the cost of the hoops new, so I figured at least I could swap the hoops out and unload the snare.  They look a little funky, though, and my concern would be cranking them tight and one of the rod holes snaps off (and a DFO member PM'ed me with that exact scenario!).......

I don't play hard so that's not an issue.......I was just curious.

clowndog

clowndog

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationMelbourne Australia (can't believe I left Cali)
Lifetime warranty on hoops. Not sure if it transfers on used purchases though.

bbunks

bbunks

Drum Czar

• Platinum
  • 2,800 posts
  • LocationChicago

I have the stainless hoops. Bought them about 3 years ago. From my experience:

• they're very well made
  • they open the drum up more than flange hoops, wood hoops, and certainly more than die cast
  • they sit lower on the drum and as a result, I've had to buy shorter tension rods

t

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users