• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

wflkurt

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus

• Members
  • 8,729 posts
  • LocationChichester NH

So my gig schedule has been the worst it has been in years this year and it's starting to pick up. My current band played last night for the first time in months as our male singer(we have a male and female lead singer) just became cancer free and is now getting back on his feet. We play Saturday as well but tinight is the odd one.

I'm filling in with a blues rock type band that I have never played with before doing a show in Lowell Massachusetts opening for big Head Todd and the Monsters. No rehearsal, meet most of the guys at the gig(I kind of know the leader guy), set up my kit, sound check and go... I have had two days to learn the set via YouTube so hopefully no surprises. It's not like I have to play a set of ELP tunes or crazy out there Frank Zappa stuff so I'm not too worried. Still it feels odd to just show up to a big open venue like this and go for it especially when I have had such a slow year. Nothing like a little pressure to get things moving again.

If that wasn't enough I think I'm going to throw caution to the wind and change my set up from last night for this band. I'm going to bring my 68 Oyster Black super classic Ludwigs tonight to get the vintage vibe going. Fortunately most of my hardware and cymbals will stay the same. I just have to remember to bring that stupid 60's hex wrench so I can put up the rail, add the tom and cymbal off the bass drum. I will be up a creek without that. I also have longer gull wing spur reproductions on the bass drum so there is plenty of room to get the kick settled. My 66 supra that I have owned since I was 12 will be my snare tonight too. 

The weather looks beautiful today and I'm pretty excited. 

Edited by wflkurt, 13 July 2018 - 09:16 AM.

PressRoll

PressRoll

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 670 posts
  • LocationCentral PA

I'm sure you will do great.  Just relax and have a great time!

Castnblast

Castnblast

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 723 posts
  • LocationOntario Canada

- anytime I've walked into a quasi unknown gig (smaller clubs not big open venues) I've always been stressed prior. Usually, it turns out to be more fun that slugging through the same 30ish tunes that I would play with my regular cover gig.

Everyones ears are open and lots of times the first time you play a tune with new guys is the freshest it will ever be.

Maybe you can get 30 minutes together prior to the gig and talk trhough endings or any weird breaks or bridges.

Have fun, and ya those hex wrenchs are thee worst!

Topsy Turvy

Topsy Turvy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • LocationNOLA
Sounds like a fun night! Be sure to post pics.

Tigerdrummer

Tigerdrummer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationOhio

Clearly you are experienced and wouldn't be there if you werent more than qualified.  You've seen the stuff and gone through it no doubt.  Play relaxed and enjoy meeting the band and the new experience.  These are the challenges we grow from.  Also most likely if there is a rough spot you all will power through it an the audience wont notice anyway.  We always are more critical of our performance than others are.

wflkurt

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus

• Members
  • 8,729 posts
  • LocationChichester NH

Thanks guys. Isn't the best part of being the drummer the ability to power through a mistake and make it look like it was someone else's fault?? Lol

I definitely looking forward to it. Sometime a little pressure and the unknown is a good healthy thing. If I get any pics or there is video I will post it. 

Thanks again!

fishaa

fishaa

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 523 posts
I’d like to see those drums!

JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Potentate

• Platinum
  • 4,605 posts
  • LocationPebble Beach, CA

Sound like an awesome gig!  And an awesome kit!  Yes, a pic would be great......and BHTodd rocks, too!  Good luck.....

RickP

RickP

Dan RH Jr.

• Platinum
  • 12,652 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

You will do fine Kurt, just keep your ears and eyes open for changes, you know the drill. Keep the fills to a minimum and groove your butt off. 

drummertom

drummertom

Drum Czar

• Gold
  • 2,082 posts
  • LocationBoston

Boarding House Park in Lowell?  Looks like a nice venue.  Wish I could make it up there tonight.  

I'm sure you'll kill it.  Have a great gig!

drummerbill

drummerbill

Percussionist Maximus

• Gold
  • 5,161 posts
  • LocationNY-NJ Tri-state Area

Sounds like a great gig, have fun !!   {I just got a call a few hours ago, subbing for Luther Rix tomorrow eve.  I know all the tunes band is doing, but always interesting showing up and gigging with new bandmates !!}  ;-)  :-)

Have fun, and "kill  it " !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bellbrass

bellbrass

Percussionist Maximus

• Gold
  • 5,870 posts
  • LocationBluegrass of Kentucky

Keep us posted (and pics would be nice)!

Rockin' Billy

Rockin' Billy

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,349 posts
  • LocationWoodstock N.Y.

Enjoy, be 'one' with the music, and get paid and have fun!

DanRH

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger

• Double Platinum
  • 20,593 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area
Have a blast and yes, pics are mandatory! ;-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users