• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

drummerbill

drummerbill

Percussionist Maximus

• Gold
  • 5,212 posts
  • LocationNY-NJ Tri-state Area

Letting my true "dork" shine here !  I am also a DFO snare drum collector maniac !!  OCD strikes again !!!   ;-)

Any Hot Wheels collectors here, especially since this is the 50th anniversarry and so many unique collections came out ?

This is one of 4 display racks I am building, this one featuring a lot of 2018 Mystery Models:

Attached Files

the_dude

the_dude

Possibly DFO's Worst Drummer

• Members
  • 2,215 posts
  • LocationRenton WA

I used to have mine on shelves in my drum room but the shelves had to come down to make way for drum related stuff. I now have them in a display that hangs off the back of my drum room door.

I only have three on my desk at work where I happen to be now.

Attached Files

• Attached File  hw.jpg   108.11KB   0 downloads

TheBeachBoy

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire

• Platinum
  • 7,220 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

I have about 100 between Hot Wheels and Matchbox, but they're from when I was a kid. Even when I was young I made sure to take care of them. They're in storage now, but when my future child is old enough, I'll see if he/she will be interested in them.

dtk

dtk

Percussionist Maximus

• Gold
  • 7,313 posts
  • LocationNeedham MA...

Growing up my dad sold them in his pharmacy...I must have given a lot away because all I could find were a bunch that are beat up bad.

I did buy last year or maybe a year earlier a few Fairlady 2000s/Legends of Speed because I own a 1600 and you never see these cars represented at an affordable price.

K.O.

K.O.

DFO Drum Lord

• Members
  • 18,355 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Yikes! 50 years? I remember when they first came out. They were pretty awesome compared to the Matchbox cars that came before.I had most of the original ones, Probably still do somewhere although they are pretty beat up from extensive play. I had quite a few of the Johnny Lightning, Matchbox Superfast, and Corgi minis too. Plus I had a lot of track and all the accessories as well but that stuff is long gone.

Not a Hot Wheels collector today but I do have a small collection of Porsche vehicles in various scales (including a 1:1 Boxster) so I will still snag the occasional Hot Wheels Porsche when I happen to see one.

CSR

CSR

Member since May 2000

• Platinum
  • 6,086 posts
  • Location- Snow Belt, New York State, USA, Earth

Growing up my dad sold them in his pharmacy...I must have given a lot away because all I could find were a bunch that are beat up bad.

I did buy last year or maybe a year earlier a few Fairlady 2000s/Legends of Speed because I own a 1600 and you never see these cars represented at an affordable price.

I had a ‘67 Spanish Red SRL 2000 with the Solex carbs and 15O hp. The vin showed it was the 7th one. We bought it used as my first car(!). Wish I had never sold it, but it wasn’t practical in our snow belt climate. The guy we sold it to put it sideways into a tree. Maybe not the best first car?

bellbrass

bellbrass

Percussionist Maximus

• Gold
  • 5,932 posts
  • LocationBluegrass of Kentucky

I collected for years and years. In the late 90s, I was at a die-cast show, and saw a girl sell a Christmas Hot Wheels, only a year old at the time, in the box, for $75 to a dealer. 5 minutes later, I saw a guy sell an original 1969 Camaro in the pack for $300 to a dealer.

I remember going to Target and Wal-Mart when they opened in the morning and rushing back to try to find a Treasure Hunt. There were never any to be had, because the night stock guys pulled them from the boxes and sold them on the new website called eBay. Some of them got fired; some made a killing before management caught on.

Those were the days.

Edited by bellbrass, 07 August 2018 - 12:00 PM.

bellbrass

bellbrass

Percussionist Maximus

• Gold
  • 5,932 posts

I still have some of my original Corgi cars, including the Batmobile.

K.O.

K.O.

DFO Drum Lord

• Members
  • 18,355 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I collected for years and years. In the late 90s, I was at a die-cast show, and saw a girl sell a Christmas Hot Wheels, only a year old at the time, in the box, for $75 to a dealer. 5 minutes later, I saw a guy sell an original 1969 Camaro in the pack for $300 to a dealer.

I remember going to Target and Wal-Mart when they opened in the morning and rushing back to try to find a Treasure Hunt. There were never any to be had, because the night stock guys pulled them from the boxes and sold them on the new website called eBay. Some of them got fired; some made a killing before management caught on.

Those were the days.

My wife works at Wal Mart (she's one of the full time people that trains the new hires). A few years back when Hot Wheels brought out a version of the TV Batmobile (another childhood favorite) I wanted to get one and I asked her to keep her eyes peeled  for when they put some out. Yet none ever surfaced. Turns out there is a guy showing up early almost every day to snag anything out of the ordinary off the Hot Wheels display, to (I assume) put on ebay (and on ebay these $1 Batmobiles were selling for upwards of $20 at the time). They called this person "Stinky Sweatpants guy" for reasons that are apparently self explanatory. Finally one day I happened to be in the store at the right time and there were six Batmobiles hanging there...so of course I bought them all. Score one over Mr. Sweatpants!

On a related note, just this past weekend I made a trip to Peoria (about 80 miles south) and stopped into a very cool store there that has lots of neat stuff, mid-century furniture and assorted baby boomer collectibles. There I found a Corgi Batboat with trailer for $25. I had literally been wanting one of those for a half century...ever since first seeing one in a Sears catalog in 1968. It, along with the matching Batmobile, were on my Christmas list for the next few years but never materialized under the tree. I did get a Batmobile about 20 years ago but never found the matching boat (yes, they are on ebay all the time but I didn't go that route). Weird to suddenly realize this was the culmination of a 50 year quest. Makes the 30 year quest for an Oyster Black Jazz Festival seem like nothing.

hardbat

hardbat

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 669 posts
  • LocationSacramento CA, USA
I have almost all of the redlines, I'm about 5 short (no, not all the colors, just one of each car). I actually still run them about once every 2 or 3 years. My grandfather got them for me when I was a kid, when they first came out. I think he liked them as much as I did. A couple of them have turned out to be rare colors, but most are common.

Actually went to a hot wheels convention once in Colorado.

There is a great redlines online forum that I watched for a while. Even contributed some photos.

Also have a few Johnny Lightnings but nowhere near completing the set.

JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Potentate

• Platinum
  • 4,803 posts
  • LocationPebble Beach, CA

Big time!  I've always been a huge car guy.  Both HW and Matchbox and pretty much any brand of smaller (5" or less) die cast cars.  Probably 100+ cars.  Most are from my youth, too, although I do love going to the toy aisle with my boys pretty much every store we go to, and as long as I buy each of them one, then I can get another one.  90% of my collection is regular sized cars but only Ferrari's, Porsche, Lambos, Benz, and/or muscle cars (Mustangs, Vettes, etc.).  I don't do the Batmobiles, the crazy one-offs that seem to be more and more in production (lizard cars, HW's weird original designs, the fat wheel types, etc.).  I have a red 911 GTS3 on my desk as we speak.

A cool thing I've been into lately is getting people the car they drive.  My coworker had a 2013 black Vette so I got him one and he loved it.  Another has a black Tesla and I got him one.  Another has a gold Range Rover - I only found silver.  My kid's 4th grade teacher has a Toyota FJ in special edition dark blue and I found the regular blue one - he was still pretty stoked!  That one was from Michael's - they actually have a nice selection of super cars, etc.  So does Rite Aid and CVS.....they are about $5-7 and you can pull them back and they run.  They are about 4" long and a little wider than HW/Matchbox, but still are very cool.

Also, when I was a kid, I dreamed of being an auto designer.  I used to buy a car, take the body off the chassis, sand down the paint if needed, and then modify the car by adding new paint (nail polish!), white out for the lights, red sharpie for the rear lights, and would tinker with front and rear spoilers.  Now that was cool!  My older boy had the Scout Pinewood derby recently and my car was a red 911, his was a blue Lambo Miura, and my little guy had a yellow Spongebob modeled after a Hummer design (loosely!)......

The best part is the annual car week in my area....which is in 2 weeks!!.....cars from all over the world come and there are every kind of luxury, sport, exotic, antique and muscle car you can imagine.......truly amazing!

Oh, and yes, NONE of them are in boxes - that is so weird!  I want to "drive" them on tables and my desk...vroom!!

Edited by JazzDrumGuy, 07 August 2018 - 05:59 PM.

drummerbill

drummerbill

Percussionist Maximus

• Gold
  • 5,212 posts
  • LocationNY-NJ Tri-state Area

For you Beatles fans, Ringo even has one !!!!  ;-)

Attached Files

JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Potentate

• Platinum
  • 4,803 posts
  • LocationPebble Beach, CA

I stand corrected, Bill....those are awesome!

bellbrass

bellbrass

Percussionist Maximus

• Gold
  • 5,932 posts

Wow, HW has really gone all out for their 50th. I might have to pick some up.

hardbat

hardbat

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 669 posts
  • LocationSacramento CA, USA
Oh man, I'd love to enter that yellow sub in my race.

Christopher

Christopher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA
I had both Matchbox and Hot Wheels.

The Christmas after my uncle Jimmy came back from Vietnam, he was so happy to be home (and alive) that he told my brothers and me to pick out anything we wanted out of the Sears catalog. I picked the big Matchbox case. I think it had 75 cars in it. I wish I still had them.

bigbonzo

bigbonzo

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 5,840 posts
  • LocationNorth Coast of Ohio

I have a few Ford Mustang ones.  That is all.

kip

kip

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 5,358 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh Pa USA

my son has my collection from the early 70s of Hot Wheels and Matchbox, which included some of my sisters from the 60s!

Ickybaby

Ickybaby

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,128 posts
  • LocationNormal, IL

I still have my Red Baron and Double Trouble cars.

Anyone here ever get smacked with a piece of that track? I still got welts!

shilohjim

shilohjim

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,418 posts
  • Locationshiloh, nj

I collect Matchbox (1968-83 Superfast era), but appreciate the fact that Hot Wheels forced Matchbox to up their game and improve their product. The guy with the largest Matchbox collection in the world is a friend and lives 20 minutes from here. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users