• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Mr B

Mr B

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,719 posts
  • LocationMississippi River Valley

Somewhere in my stuff i still have a few pieces of track, the purple plastic c-clamp & yellow push button drag race launcher, a Corvette and a Mustang i received for Christmas in 1968. 

I was 8 years old and they were just very cool toys to be played with. Needless to say they are beat to hell.

No regrets.

Fat Drummer

Fat Drummer

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,002 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Been playing with toy cars for over 50 years (like many, I started in the mid 60's Matchbox era) and would consider myself a collector for at least 35 years. I have bought and sold all the brands with Hot Wheels being the biggest part of that collection at my peak in the late 90's and early 2000. After selling a large part of the Hot Wheels (around 15,000 in that transaction and taking the family to Disney for a week) I decided to fall back and concentrate on what I really enjoyed and pair back a bit.

SO I focused on what I still maintain to this day... racing replicas only. I display around 350 cars in my den and garage with the majority of them being grouped into sub themes and mostly based on sports car endurance and road racing  (Sebring, Daytona 24 Hours, 24 Hours of Le Mans, Trans AM Series, Can Am Series etc) in both 1:64 and 1:43 scales.

I also started customize 1:64 cars years ago to recreate racing replicas and I still continue that to this day. For me it is my version of miniature modeling and I still find it very relaxing. I'm just glad to see that I'm not the only one that still likes to play with toy cars!

An example of the restoration's I enjoy doing... A set of  old 1969 Hot Wheel  McLaren MA Can AM cars before and after....

Attached File  DSCN5850 copy.jpg   131.73KB   0 downloads  Attached File  DSC00883 copy.jpg   138.82KB   0 downloads

And I enjoy doing small dioramas for 1:64 as well...

Attached File  DSCN6136 copy.jpg   128.89KB   0 downloads  Attached File  DSCN6158 copy.jpg   133.37KB   0 downloads 

Rik_Everglade

Rik_Everglade

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,045 posts
  • LocationSilver Creek, NY

Fat Drummer: Cool! I tried some restorations, enjoyed it, but I didn't do them to the level that you did. Good job.

I stupidly sold my Snake and Mongoose sets, funny and drag...and a pristine Chapparel with wing.

Anyway, everything else HotWheels, Johnny Lightning and Matchbox that I had was saved. Always waiting for the time when I had my own son to play with them. I had kids late in life, my boy is now four, and he loves HotWheels and Matchbox cars. I saved these for him, and what a joy to play with them. Some of these are in excellent condition, and several Matchbox MIB! So we race and crash them. I've bought him many of the playsets, but our favorite is the Super Ultimate Garage.

tempobob

tempobob

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,823 posts
  • LocationN.J. USA

Been playing with toy cars for over 50 years (like many, I started in the mid 60's Matchbox era) and would consider myself a collector for at least 35 years. I have bought and sold all the brands with Hot Wheels being the biggest part of that collection at my peak in the late 90's and early 2000. After selling a large part of the Hot Wheels (around 15,000 in that transaction and taking the family to Disney for a week) I decided to fall back and concentrate on what I really enjoyed and pair back a bit.

SO I focused on what I still maintain to this day... racing replicas only. I display around 350 cars in my den and garage with the majority of them being grouped into sub themes and mostly based on sports car endurance and road racing  (Sebring, Daytona 24 Hours, 24 Hours of Le Mans, Trans AM Series, Can Am Series etc) in both 1:64 and 1:43 scales.

I also started customize 1:64 cars years ago to recreate racing replicas and I still continue that to this day. For me it is my version of miniature modeling and I still find it very relaxing. I'm just glad to see that I'm not the only one that still likes to play with toy cars!

An example of the restoration's I enjoy doing... A set of  old 1969 Hot Wheel  McLaren MA Can AM cars before and after....

attachicon.gif DSCN5850 copy.jpg  attachicon.gif DSC00883 copy.jpg

And I enjoy doing small dioramas for 1:64 as well...

attachicon.gif DSCN6136 copy.jpg  attachicon.gif DSCN6158 copy.jpg

Excellent work!
I still have mine. When I was a kid I painted a lot of them up though. I have what I think they called The Boss Hoss" a special chrome Mustang. By brother got the chrome Camaro. I rememeber seeing the real Red Baron at a car show once.
I have my Jihnny Lightnings, my favorite being the "Triple Threat".
Remember the Hot Wheels cartoon?

bellbrass

bellbrass

Percussionist Maximus

• Gold
  • 5,938 posts
  • LocationBluegrass of Kentucky

That is really cool, Fatdrummer. Nice work!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users