- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

balishag

balishag

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • LocationUSA

Does Ludwig mini classic lugs have a spring inside them ?  I have a classic maple bonham set  2006 or 2008 ? the drums came with mini classic lugs but no spring inside them just a plastic inserts     .....are they suppose to be that  way?  anybody in the know about this topic?

drumtimejohn

drumtimejohn

Advanced Snr. Member

• Silver
  • 780 posts
  • LocationSLC
I can only contribute that the vintage 60-70s minis are spring loaded.

Hop

Hop

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,294 posts
  • LocationL.A., CA
Parts catalog (2012) shows springs, see 5b...

Attached File  Ludwig_Mini-Lug.JPG   134.94KB   0 downloads

bellbrass

bellbrass

Percussionist Maximus

• Gold
  • 5,938 posts
  • LocationBluegrass of Kentucky
I'd be willing to bet the farm Ludwig hasn't used springs in years...

atomicdave

atomicdave

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 6,053 posts
  • LocationDelphi, Indiana

I'd be willing to bet the farm Ludwig hasn't used springs in years...

yep...spring went over from Chicago to Monroe, but according to above 2012 springs were gone by then, maybe a few years earlier....like whenever full import of lugs from overseas got into full swing.   I wish they would have switched to unplated/machined lugs to keep production in US... 

balishag

balishag

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • LocationUSA
My kit does not have the springs in the mini lugs ...kinda sucks when just using a batter head ... on those rare ...just for a dfferent sound occasions .The plastic retainers inside doesnt keep nuff tension and rattle without a head on the drums

Hop

Hop

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,294 posts
  • LocationL.A., CA
Couldn't you swap the plastic piece out for a spring?

balishag

balishag

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • LocationUSA
Thats what Im not sure of ....I dont want to order a bunch of springs and not have em fit Was hoping some of you Ludwig gurus would be in the know??

INDeDrum

INDeDrum

DFO Sponsor

• Members
  • 771 posts

Ludwig switched from springs to plastic retainers when the lugs were tooled up in Taiwan (which was well before 2006).  The insert is how just about every lug made by Reliance is held together.  The interior geometry of the lugs is totally different- I don't think the spring would work in a non-spring lug.  

balishag

balishag

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • LocationUSA
Really appreciate the info ! Thanks

bellbrass

bellbrass

Percussionist Maximus

• Gold
  • 5,938 posts
  • LocationBluegrass of Kentucky

Ludwig switched from springs to plastic retainers when the lugs were tooled up in Taiwan (which was well before 2006).  The insert is how just about every lug made by Reliance is held together.  The interior geometry of the lugs is totally different- I don't think the spring would work in a non-spring lug.  

I would agree with this. If JR Frondelli was still here, he could tell us for sure. I think we've run off all the Ludwig dealers who post here as well, so we may not get a definite answer...but I'd bet that springs cannot be put inside modern lugs.

Stone Wilcoxon

Stone Wilcoxon

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 567 posts
  • LocationThe Great Midwest

I have a 2013 Classic Maple kit, and my mini lugs have the plastic insert instead of the spring. For the most part, I find them functional. The big exception for me is that the hole in the insert that the tension rod passes through is small, creating friction on the rod. For some, this may be a "feature", since it would inhibit the tendency for that rod to de-tune. Personally, my process when I tune starts with taking tension down to completely slack, then bringing it up by touch before ear tuning. I was unable to do that with these lugs, so I did what any drum geek would do. I took them apart, and carefully drilled out each plastic insert until the tension rod would pass easily through it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users