• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

joshvibert

joshvibert

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 553 posts
  • LocationBraselton, GA
The 30-somethings and kids have limited my gigging to Thursday nights and Sunday mornings at our church. However, our company sales meeting is this coming Thursday and some of the employees have been asked to form a band to play some covers for the dinner and drinks portion. I was asked to participate and am excited to do so. The “band” is a 3pc, Guitar, bass, and me. List includes a mix of country and classic rock (Proud Mary, Honkeytonk Women, Working man’s blues, Folsom prison). I’ll be playing my DW Collectors Broken Glass kit as a 4pc with 9x12, 14x16, 18x22 and 6.5 Black Beauty snare. My main question/concern is the 12” tom mount. I’ve never gigged this kit before, but now it’s the only one available. Debating whether to fly the 12” off a cymbal stand or use a snare stand. At home it’s in a snare stand. I like being able to move the cymbal stand and tom independently of one another. However, I’m going to need to transport the kit from the building to the parking lot after the meeting and get set up to play pretty quickly.

Wondering if flying it may be quicker. Clamp weighs less than snare stand in hardware bag, but requires heavier cymbal stand, so probably a wash.

Thoughts?

Skyrm

Skyrm

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,366 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  If you are used to the snare stand for the tom, you may have issues getting just right flying it.  No sense causing stress on a gig like this.  Enjoy!!

phoster

phoster

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 645 posts
^
Agreed, you don’t need to add potential stress to the situation. I wouldn’t overthink it...

Doubleroll

Doubleroll

Forum Guru

• Gold
  • 1,204 posts
  • LocationNY
I wouldn’t deviate from the norm at this point...keep it as is for this one. That being said, I always fly my Tom off a cymbal stand. One less stand...

Tmcfour

Tmcfour

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia
Yep, although I fly mine off a cymbal stand, if you already are used to putting it in a snare basket I wouldn't change it right before the gig.

EyeByTwoMuchGeer

EyeByTwoMuchGeer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationMaryland
Do you even need the rack tom for those types of tunes? I'd ditch the rack tom all together and make the load in/setup easier!

paul

paul

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,387 posts
  • LocationLewisville, TX

Even better, why not just buy a new set to use? You could even unpack it at the gig. Lots more good stress that way.

Like the man said, don't overthink. Use what you're used to. The difference is minimal, and not worth stressing about.

Or, measure. Weigh everything involved and enter the numbers into a spreadsheet for comparison purposes. Then time yourself setting it up both ways. Which is faster? Which is lighter? Is one more of a pain than the other? What's that worth?

More than a decade ago I was using a two-sided rack with a four piece kit. To satisfy my own curiosity and accurately answer questions I got about it (often here), I set the kit up with rack and with stands, and measured the footprint with a tape. Then I weighed the hardware involved on both. Didn't change my mind, but it was good information to have.

What It Is

What It Is

• Members
  • 283 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Fly it in because you know that tom will sound different in the snare basket at the gig then it does at your house.  Always happens!  I like the early post of not even bringing the tom.  Bass, snare, floor tom?  Too cool to pass up!

TheBeachBoy

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire

• Platinum
  • 7,221 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

It'll be quicker to set up what you're already used to, so I'd go with the snare stand.

joshvibert

joshvibert

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 553 posts
  • LocationBraselton, GA
I’ve been thinking about it switching to the suspension mount anyway, so I guess that’s why I was considering using this as the excuse to make the change. That said, staying as-is is probably the best bet.

Skyrm

Skyrm

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,366 posts

And just to prove that I don't take my advice...I was in a jazz/funk band years ago, and had "one last gig" with them before my family moved 2,200 miles away to Edmonton.  I had been playing my Gretsch kit as a 4-piece, but in the early days of the band I used to play it as a 3-up, 2-down - with up to 15 cymbals!  In those days I had a Pearl rack.

Cut to this final gig - it's a picnic outdoors, but I'm told that it will be under a covered pavilion.  So, I bring EVERYTHING I own.  :)

Get there, and the covered pavilion is full of picnic tables.  Bolted to the floor!  So, we have to move to the lawn. No stage, no riser, not even a piece of plywood.  Here I am, with a 3-up, 1 down plus a timbale, and every cymbal I own.  I had to use every clamp I had to figure out how to get it all to fit.  Had to really angle some of the stands to stay upright.  That was quite a setup nightmare!  

[attachment=362915:Equinox Front.jpg]

[attachment=362916:Equinox Rear.jpg]

fishaa

fishaa

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 565 posts
^ hilarious on so many levels.

CherryClassic

CherryClassic

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,820 posts
  • LocationBuda, Texas

Always make changes at home then practice with it because the sound will be different and that can be stressful like me using new drum heads and a different tuning last night; that was a bummer.  Although I was the only one that noticed.

Personally I fly my toms from a cymbal stand.  It's just quicker and easier to set up.

NOTE:  Setting up drums is part of your tuning process.

I like drums that sing with a musical like sound.  Flying toms from stands is a learning process.  Mounting toms at multiple angles tend to kill the sound so:  Picture in your mind where you want the tom; setup the stand and "L" arm in a position so the tom can hang straight off the "L" arm as much as possible.  My toms sound the best mounted at the top of the "L" arm.  Them make minor adjustments as needed.  ALL SO, tighten the hardware only as much as needed.  Like the shell of the drum I believe the stand should be part of the vibration process that allows your drum to sing.

sherm

Edited by CherryClassic, 12 August 2018 - 08:12 AM.

Skyrm

Skyrm

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,366 posts

^ hilarious on so many levels.

But it was actually a great gig!!  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users