- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

aparker2005

aparker2005

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,201 posts
Hey guys. I've been back and forth between my DW 9002 double and hi hat stand, and my DW MCD and Direct Drive hi hat stand on my bigger kit.

It seems lately I've felt I've had to work a little more to get the MCD to react as well as the 9ks with the shorter foot board. May be a mind thing, but the long board lately just hasn't felt as good.

So today, I added the 9k pedals back to my bigger kit and also put the DW MCD Driveshaft on the 9ks. The 9ks felt immediately better. The 9k driveshaft had gotten a lot of lag in it and was a huge change with the mcd driveshaft. I'm far happier with the 9ks now. All my speed is back.

For the mcd, I put the old 9k linkage on them to try. Oddly enough, there wasn't nearly the lag as on the 9ks. I use heavier beaters which may give it a bit more swing? But for my smaller setup, the pedal swap seems to have worked great.

Anyone tried the Machined pedals and preferred the 9ks more?

Edited by aparker2005, 15 August 2018 - 01:59 PM.

dwdave

dwdave

Groovinator

• Platinum
  • 2,210 posts
  • LocationDavis, Ca

I haven't tried those out yet but I really like the upgraded Trick linkage on my 9k. definitely makes a difference. 

aparker2005

aparker2005

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,201 posts
Just wish the 9ks had the much better adjustments like my mcd. That's one thing I absolutely love between the 2. Had the mcd been normal footboard length, I think they'd be the perfect pedal.

aparker2005

aparker2005

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,201 posts
I think I should have named this thread long vs short board pedals and which do you prefer?

I'm finding I love the adjustments of my mcd, but play better on my shorter 9k.

So what's the preference of most, or does it not matter much to you?

RickP

RickP

Dan RH Jr.

• Platinum
  • 12,742 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North
I prefer longboard pedals , I prefer not to have the hinges heel plate that short boards have . I play a combination of heel up and or heel down depending on the genre and volume levels I am playing at .

I am a big fan of Axis Longboard pedals and they do most of my gigs these days . Great pedals , very reliable and very smooth . They have held up well for me with lots of gig time on them .

The only non longboard I use is a Sonor Perfect Balance and the way the footboard design is, it is similar to a longboard in action . A super smooth pedal with a nice light action , very quick . I really appreciate the folding feature as well .

cplueard

cplueard

• Members
  • 283 posts
  • LocationAZ

I have a preference for the longboard. I started doublebass with a DW 5000 and now have a 9000XF. Played the 9000 for awhile but becasue of a setup change I'm back on a 5000 for now and using my 9000 at my bands practice space. I think the longer boards feel better, smoother, and equally light to the shorter boards for me. My biggest issue is I'm used to a bit of heel hanging off on the short boards and unconsciously looking for that feeling makes me play too far back on the longboards and makes them feel heavier. Overall when I'm playing each the proper way the longboards just feel like they respond to my feet and control better.

VintageUSA

VintageUSA

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 738 posts
  • LocationThe South

To me, longboards is simply a preference for the feel.

I found a pair of Yamaha longboard strap-drive single pedals in 1988 and used them on a double-bass kit for the next 13 years.

And BTW, direct drive has never felt as good IMO.

When I decided to play a double-pedal on a single bass drum, I wound up choosing the TAMA Speed Cobra because the longboards natuarally felt "right" to me.

I bought the (superior) slave driveshaft from TRICK and swapped out the Tama beaters for conventional felt beaters..............this customization of the pedal is perfect for my muscle memory.

aparker2005

aparker2005

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,201 posts
Wow. Mostly preference for long boards so far. Very interesting!

jtpaistegeist

jtpaistegeist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • LocationKentucky USA

Same here..  I sold my regular pedals and recently picked up the 9002XF, and replaced the shaft with the Trick, and added Cobra felt beaters.  Perfect for me. 

Hop

Hop

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,294 posts
  • LocationL.A., CA
Long live the long-board!

aparker2005

aparker2005

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,201 posts
It seems I can play faster on the regular length, but get more power on the long board

aparker2005

aparker2005

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,201 posts
Funny how when you start over with some gear you find out more about it than you previously thought.

I took the mcd pedals home yesterday and started tinkering with the seemingly endless amounts of adjustments.

I thought I had the spring tension as loose as it would go on factory settings, but it was actually the notch above that. That was my first big help.

2nd, I've always kept my cams at the normal playing setting. I turned them all the way over to the speed setting today and that solidified it for me.

The mcd long boards now work perfectly for me. There's more room on these pedals to work with and after a long practice today my legs are much less fatigued.

9ks have went back to my small kit. Glad I took a look over the settings now!

flamthrower

flamthrower

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

I'm liking my Falcon which is in between a short and long board.

Buffalo_drummer

Buffalo_drummer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY

Funny how when you start over with some gear you find out more about it than you previously thought.

I took the mcd pedals home yesterday and started tinkering with the seemingly endless amounts of adjustments.

I thought I had the spring tension as loose as it would go on factory settings, but it was actually the notch above that. That was my first big help.

2nd, I've always kept my cams at the normal playing setting. I turned them all the way over to the speed setting today and that solidified it for me.

The mcd long boards now work perfectly for me. There's more room on these pedals to work with and after a long practice today my legs are much less fatigued.

I'm in kinda the same situation you are with my MDD pedal vs. 9000. Is this the cam adjustment you did? you moved it all the way forward?

Attached Files

aparker2005

aparker2005

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,201 posts

I'm in kinda the same situation you are with my MDD pedal vs. 9000. Is this the cam adjustment you did? you moved it all the way forward?

I think I moved it the other direction.... The speed setting which ever that is. Just did a 2 hour practice and the pedals worked flawlessly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users