Photo

So, like I thought, I am not a fan of small bass drums.

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

DanRH

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger

• Double Platinum
  • 20,708 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area
I recently purchased a really nice Gretsch New Classic Maple kit with a 20/10/12/14. Beautiful kit, no question. But I have decided, like I already knew, for the music I play, small bass drums don’t cut it for me. My original purpose for getting this kit was to use it in my studio which is where it is going. But of course I had to gig with it at least once. So I did.

On Friday I played my Holiday kit with it’s fabulous 22” at an outdoor gig and that my friends is a fantastic bass drum. Last night I played the NC kit with the 20” and sorry...it just felt “small” to me. Out front it sounded fine based on my recording, but behind the kit, nothing like the Rogers.

So, for me, live, it will only be 22’s or 24’s. As it should be.

Attached Files

Edited by DanRH, 12 August 2018 - 01:04 PM.

Bri6366

Bri6366

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 571 posts
  • LocationLevittown, PA

My buddy had a nice old Premier kit with a 20" Kick. At the time I was playing 24"x16" Tama Superstar kicks. His kit and the kick in particular always sounded way underpowered compared to what I was used to. That little 20" did sound pretty good  out front though. 

supershifter2

supershifter2

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 5,489 posts
  • LocationLost Angeles , Ca.

20" is good for floor toms. 22" is just right for bass drums.

Attached Files

pedro navahas

pedro navahas

Drum Czar

• Platinum
  • 2,469 posts
How did you feel about the other drums?
10, 12, 14??
I have a friend who can’t play anything smaller than a 22” bass drum, no matter how they sound.

jptrickster

jptrickster

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 7,237 posts
  • LocationFairfield County
Hard to beat the depth and richness of a 22 Rogers.

DanRH

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger

• Double Platinum
  • 20,708 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Hard to beat the depth and richness of a 22 Rogers.

This is true. Even my 24” Fullerton can’t match the 22”.

Edited by DanRH, 12 August 2018 - 03:00 PM.

FunkyCrime

FunkyCrime

Advanced Snr. Member

• Platinum
  • 849 posts
  • LocationNJ
I’m right there with you, for the most part only play 22” or larger out. BUT have you ever tried a Rogers Holiday 20”?!

DanRH

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger

• Double Platinum
  • 20,708 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

I’m right there with you, for the most part only play 22” or larger out. BUT have you ever tried a Rogers Holiday 20”?!

No but my friend one in Blue onyx which is my color. Maybe I’ll trade my 22 for 20 for one night.

Skyrm

Skyrm

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,366 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

The Roger's 20's are MAGIC!  :)

AtlantaDrumGuy

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,602 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA
I like 18 up to 24 for different things. For rock or pop, it’s tough to beat 22 and 24.

AtlantaDrumGuy

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,602 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA
But my all time favorite kit is my Camco with a 24.

cribbon

cribbon

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 827 posts

Smaller bass drums have surprised me over the years. Probably like many here, my first real drum set (a used Ludwig Super Classic) was anchored with a 22" bass drum - essentially the default standard size for drum sets since the 60s. Every time I saw a jazz kit with a 20 or an 18 bass drum, they looked like toys to me (at the time I also thought an 8x12 tom didn't have enough balls to it). This, of course, was a time when your only options for drum heads were coated Ambassadors or coated Ambassadors. In order to get a big, fat sound you needed a big, fat drum, be it bass drum, tom-tom or snare.

My first surprise with the 20" bass drum was on an old beater kit I bought. It sounded tremendous. I liked it s much I later bought another kit with a 20; they both gave me all the bottom I could want (using Super Kick 1 batters). I got a Tama Metro Jam (14x16" bass drum) a while ago, and with a Remo PS4 on the batter and mic'ed up (wtih the low end boosted), I've actually been using it very successfully with a classic rock band. The fact that it's birch instead of a soft wood probably plays a big part in its ability to punch far above its weight.

I still have a kit with a 22, but since I don't really feel the need for it anymore, I'm probably going to sell it.

Edited by cribbon, 12 August 2018 - 05:53 PM.

wayne

wayne

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 916 posts
  • Locationcanada

IMO, its the 14" depth that gives off the magic regardless what size bass drum you have. As a few have stated, it sounds great out front, so i guess it works....its all what you are used to, its like me with 12" toms.

I do recall having a 22" Rogers briefly many years ago, and it was special for sure.

VintageUSA

VintageUSA

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 738 posts
  • LocationThe South

For over 40 years..............I have palyed all sizes and various depths of all brands of bass drums.....................

For me...............the 14 x 24 is the clear winner.

DanRH

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger

• Double Platinum
  • 20,708 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

10, 12, 14??
I have a friend who can’t play anything smaller than a 22” bass drum, no matter how they sound.

For me, not for gigging. My preferred config is 13/16/22 or a 24. I even don't mind a 12 in place of the 13.

gbow

gbow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Locationmichigan

10, 12, 14??

For me, not for gigging. My preferred config is 13/16/22 or a 24. I even don't mind a 12 in place of the 13.

Spot on! Although I would add the 12 instead of "in place of" the 13!

gabo

RickP

RickP

Dan RH Jr.

• Platinum
  • 12,742 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North
I have been a long time 20” (first Choice) and 18” ( close runner up) player for a long time. The charm for me is they work for all the different genres I am asked to play ( Acoustic Jazz trios, Quartets, Big Bands , Acoustic pop and Amplified Pop/ Country/ Rock). I picked up a kit with a 22” bass drum kit ( 70’s 5 ply Slingerland ) and a 24” Bass Drum kit ( Ludwig Legacy Classic ) and it has really opened my ears to the great qualities of these size bass drums to the point that it might change my former size preferences when looking for new kits.

spctomlin

spctomlin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • LocationDFW

The Roger's 20's are MAGIC! :)

Whether this is true or not, my 20” Clevelanand era Holiday is an absolute beast and easily plays in the same league as the best 22’s I’ve owned.

jaymandude

jaymandude

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,343 posts
  • Locationouter limits

I recently purchased a really nice Gretsch New Classic Maple kit with a 20/10/12/14. Beautiful kit, no question. But I have decided, like I already knew, for the music I play, small bass drums don’t cut it for me. My original purpose for getting this kit was to use it in my studio which is where it is going. But of course I had to gig with it at least once. So I did.

On Friday I played my Holiday kit with it’s fabulous 22” at an outdoor gig and that my friends is a fantastic bass drum. Last night I played the NC kit with the 20” and sorry...it just felt “small” to me. Out front it sounded fine based on my recording, but behind the kit, nothing like the Rogers.

So, for me, live, it will only be 22’s or 24’s. As it should be.

I'm with you on this, but I want to add.  My experience is you simply cannot port 18's and 20's and get a good sound.   I've tried with many 20's, 18's were always jazz drums.   The 20 " kind of " works with both heads.  But I never do that.   18's for jazz and quiet.  22 for everything else..

supershifter2

supershifter2

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 5,489 posts
  • LocationLost Angeles , Ca.

10, 12, 14??

My first kit was 8x12 14x14 14x20 bass. When i got a 9x13 tom in never used a 12" again. When I got a 10x14 tom I never used a 13" again. I played 10x14,12x15,16x18,18x20 toms for many years. Then I removed the 12x15 and put a 12x16 in its place. When I decided to tune a little higher the 10x14 didnt fit. The 10x14 didnt have enough low frequency range to go with the 12x16. I took the 12x15 out of retirement and replaced the 10x14 with it. The 12x15 sounds great tuned higher and has a wider frequency range than the 10x14. For about the last 6 years my tom sizes have been 12x15,12x16,16x18,18x20. Now for bass drums. When I got a 14x22 bass I never used a 20" again. When I got a 16x22 bass that was the sound for me. I owned a 16x24 for a few days and hated it. I have played other drummers 14x24,14x26, 14x28 bass drums and dont like the sound.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users