Photo

Ever have someone audition a kit for you?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Tigerdrummer

Tigerdrummer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • LocationOhio

Many of you say it isnt how it sounds to the drummer but how it sounds to the audience.  So did any of you use a buddy playing a kit for you to listen to before you bought the drums.  If you did I have two questions.  What did you buY?  Did this method help you?

cworrick

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block

• Members
  • 6,267 posts
  • LocationNortheast Indiana
I did with a snare years ago.

Drum Center of Indianapolis.

Worked great hearing it from a different perspective. Still have and use it.

AustinFitz

AustinFitz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationBush, LA
I've never used that method when buying a kit, but when tuning once I think I have them where I want them I usually have my brother get behind the kit and play them while I stand out front to make sure it sounds good from both behind the drums, and out in front. He's no drummer though, so it might not be the best representation of how they sound, but it's better than guessing lol.

kb

kb

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,279 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

I've had a few drum buddies; we'd play each others kits, tune together, listen together, etc....

By all means get a friend to help you.

Good luck!

bongomania

bongomania

DFO Potentate

• Platinum
  • 3,080 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

I've never intentionally asked someone to do that, but one of the guys working at Revival can't help himself. If someone seems interested in a kit, he gets on and rocks out while he talks about the kit. At first it annoyed me but then I saw the value of hearing it from a different place.

Drum Gear Review

Drum Gear Review

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Kind of indirectly, yeah. When I'm working on reviews for Drum!, I always try and have a friend stop by and play whatever I'm working on so I can hear it from the other side and from a bit of distance. I always hear something new that changes my thoughts on the instrument. 

I bought a Sakae Trilogy kit last year. I had reviewed one for my own site three or four years ago, and one of the things that stuck out the most was hearing it from the other side. I thought the drums sounded broad and a little tubby up top from the player's perspective - it was exactly what I wanted to hear in a 'vintage-style' kit or whatever. But from the listener's perspective, they were so much deeper and more powerful. They were moving so much air. They totally knocked me out, and it stuck with me for a couple of years until I had a little panic attack about them slowing down and though "Okay, I need to buy those drums right now before I won't be able to anymore."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users