Photo

Thoughts on Paiste Signature Traditional Crashes?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

sillypilot

sillypilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Anyone own these and have an opinion? I’ve got a couple of them, but having trouble getting used to them.

rculberson

rculberson

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationLebec, California

I use a 17" Trad Thin crash as my top hat in a Steve Jordan copycat hi-hat setup.  I also had a 20" Trad Thin crash that I really liked, but ended up trading it for a 20" Masters Thin, which I like even more.  I've found throughout the Traditional line that they are better at blending in with, rather than cutting through the sound of a band.  Not sure what your musical situation is, but anything much heavier than classic rock would probably bury the Trads in a stage mix.  I've also loved the soft feel of every Trad cymbal I've owned.  They give quite nicely when struck.  

RickP

RickP

Dan RH Jr.

• Platinum
  • 12,954 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North
I use a 17" Traditional thin crash on my Big Band gigs. It s very quick and has some trashiness to it. Very different from the 602 thin and Masters Dark Crashes I use for my Pop gigs. The Traditional thin crash I own is quick and doesn't have as much sustain as my other crashes , but it works well in the Big band context where I need a crash to get out of the way quickly and it does cymbal swells beautifully.

I bought mine from DCP and they had a few and this one I bought was really the special one. I was surprised at the differences between them. Nothing like a Zildjian or Sabian but still more than say between two 2002 crashes.

Edited by RickP, 20 August 2018 - 03:59 PM.

James Walker

James Walker

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 990 posts

having trouble getting used to them.

I love my Traditionals, including a 16" "thin crash" and 17" "thin."  They see use on my kit, and sometimes I'll use the crashes as suspended cymbals on my symphony gigs.

What cymbals are you comparing these to, to make it tough to get use to the Trads?

sillypilot

sillypilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

So I'm comparing them to Zildjian A series fast crashes and Paiste Giant Beats. I realize that they are for completely different purposes, but to my ears the Traditionals don't sounds that "gentle" if that makes sense. Again, this is all personal opinion on my part. While the A's and GBs are more classic rock sounding to me, they have this gentle quality that I can't find in the traditionals. Anyway, thanks for the opinions. 

tkillian

tkillian

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,247 posts

tkillian

tkillian

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,247 posts

Soulfinger

Soulfinger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationVienna, Austria

I have a set of Traditionals and like them a lot together but to my ears they don´t play too well with others. Their slightly harsh and trashy quality puts them apart from more middle-of-the-road cymbals and doesn´t make them ideal allround crashes IMHO. For that purpose I have A Fast crashes and Giant Beats, among others.

The Trads are mighty fine instruments, mind, but definitely an aquired taste.

JRF

JRF

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationNorway
Been playing and loving Trads as my main cymbals for ten years now. My set-up consists of 17" crashes as hats, 18" extra thin crash, 20" thin crash and a 22" light or extra-light ride.

Very musical and complex cymbals which I've gotten a lot of compliments for through the years.

equipmentdork

equipmentdork

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,348 posts
  • LocationNJ

Not to hijack, I'm looking for a used 18" thin crash, if anyone wants to part with theirs.

Dan

fishstix94

fishstix94

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
I have a trad 22" light ride and the steve Jordan hats which feature a thin 17 crash on top. I love the ride. But it probably isnt ideal for all situations. I have a pop gig that I know it doesnt have enough cut for, but I'm very picky with rides and I havent found another ride.

TrickRoll

TrickRoll

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • LocationWest Michigan
Wonderful instruments.

My only challenge has been getting a good spread in pitches.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users