4 replies to this topic

Merlin5

Merlin5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • LocationLondon UK

As a musical hobby, I've gained an interest in the youtube phenomenon called mashups. As some may remember, I did some drumming ones a while ago with John Bonham and Jeff Porcaro but now I'm starting to create mixes of two or more songs, both audio and video. Normally, the mashup experts use something I think called elastic audio to analyse and pin point tempo changes in a given song that wasn't recorded with click, and then I believe it quantises everything. I need to learn how to do that in my DAW.

However, I've created a mashup of EW&F 'In The Stone', one of my favourite songs, with Rick Astley 'Never Gonna Give You Up' which was and still is a very popular song in the UK. Not sure how well known it is globally, but there's a few mashups with it. I've called it 'Never Gonna Get You Stoned' :D

Given that it's not quantised and that the Earth Wind and Fire song has quite varying tempos and generally gets a bit faster as it goes along, I've had to painstakingly edit the tempo of some of the Rick Astley bits that I chopped up to place where I wanted. I've also changed the pitches of some bits of vocals and some guitar. I took some random Ted Nugent solos and somehow they seem to fit in well. I've also edited lots of bits of video and again, I'm amazed how most of it seems to fit the audio.

I think it's come out pretty good. I've just uploaded it to youtube and am waiting to see if it's thumbs up thumbs down. So am interested in feedback from DFO, particularly as we're drummers where any glaring tempo issues will be more noticeable to us.

Let me know if anyone notices anything that's 'off' in timing or pitch.  But also, hopefully enjoy it?! :)

Hop

Hop

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,345 posts
  • LocationL.A., CA
Dang it.... I voluntarily Rick-Rolled myself ;-P

Doubleroll

Doubleroll

Forum Guru

• Gold
  • 1,261 posts
  • LocationNY
Nice work!

TheBeachBoy

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire

• Platinum
  • 7,294 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

A good mashup is hard to do. You have to find the right temp (or at least close enough), the right key (or close enough) and the right feel. You did all that. Great job!

Merlin5

Merlin5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • LocationLondon UK

Well that's a good sign I'm on the right track!  :happy11: 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users