• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Cauldronics

Cauldronics

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 4,944 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Going off the elm/maple snare in gezz' thread, I'm wondering what Mapex snare people would pick if they were to get one.  I sense that the drum community has lauded Mapex snares (and drums) for awhile now and I might be missing out, so I want to try one.

The Black Panther and Velvetone series are already contenders, but choosing which one can't be easy.  6.5 depth or more would be wanted.  Preferably wood.

theEZV

theEZV

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationUSA-MD

The 5.5x14 matching snare that came with my Saturns is a fantastic drum. I am looking for one in 7x14 or 8x14 (Big Cat) as well. 

Edited by theEZV, 14 September 2018 - 08:13 PM.

DrumWhipper

DrumWhipper

Advanced Snr. Member

• Gold
  • 514 posts
  • LocationArkansas
I have a Black Panther Blade 5.5x14 that I love. I also have a 5.5x14 Tomahawk snare that is nice and a bit of a change of pace from the Blade.

RickP

RickP

Dan RH Jr.

• Platinum
  • 12,954 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

The Cherry Bomb looks interesting. 

The best Mapex snare I have ever played was the Deep Forest Walnut. sadly discontinued. All walnut plies, fat and resonant sounding.

Bgood

Bgood

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • LocationNJ
My Exterminator is really good - cheap too.

EvEnStEvEn

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~

• Members
  • 16,237 posts
  • LocationOklur Homer

My choice would be the 6 x 14 Mahogany snare from the new Design Lab Series, I think they call it The Heartbreaker.
Full mahogany shell with reinforcement rings, 16 strand Puresound custom wires, Cylinder-Drive Strainer.
You'll rarely find a fatter sounding tonewood than mahogany exhibits.

http://mapexdrums.com/us/design-lab/

https://www.musicrad...ker-snare-drums

gezz

gezz

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 6,885 posts
  • LocationWest Coast Scotland
I am so lucky that I own 2 Mapex Snares I would never part with..
Both are 5.5x14".. The first is the limited edition Black Panther "Memphis edition" 7.8mm maple/walnut/maple construction with no re rings, straight sided shells with a Sharper edge than on most drums I own..
She sounds best at a mid to slightly higher tuning BUT is more than capable of a fat backbeat..
There is an articulate, sensitive crispness to me that are I inherent in Black Panthers..especially the older ones..
The die cast hoops and dual adjustable strainer and snappy wires are part of this..
The new "velvetone" is as close as you will get to a Memphis model in the current range.
The second is my absolutely Prized Elm/maple shell with re rings and flawlessly cut rounded edges..wow build quality is utterly stellar. Warm..Fat and low but again can easily take a higher tuning..
I am a huge fan as my pals on here know of puresound "concert" wires on most of my drums as they do not present any rattle probs and allow the shell to give more of the drums true character.. But the snare sound is just perfect.
I feel NO need to mess with either of my Black Panthers as the wires are just dialed in superbly..
Honesty have patience and seek out one of these rather than the newer offerings (which in my opinion are just not the same revenance)..oh and my little maple piccolo with gold hardware.. Amazing little drum

Just my opinion

Gerry

Attached Files

tomo221

tomo221

• Members
  • 357 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

This one.

DWSlingerland45

DWSlingerland45

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,248 posts
  • LocationMount Holly New Jersey
I really loved the Velvetone model I owned. It was the 5 incher. I traded it because I had a couple close seconds to the sound. A highly under rated drum in my opinion.

Drum Gear Review

Drum Gear Review

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,472 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Agreed. That Cherry bomb is a monster. I really loved it. 

Tickinaway

Tickinaway

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, PA
My only 2 snares are the Black Panther Retrosonic (6.5x14) and the Sledgehammer. I can do everything i need to do with them. Sold off 15 other (and most popular) snares.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users