18 replies to this topic

ludwig402

ludwig402

Forum Guru

• Platinum
  • 1,328 posts
  • LocationNJ

Hey all,

On my current project, I've got an 8x12 and a 14x22 ready for re-wrap. I've also got 12x15 and 14x16 shells but only enough lugs and legs  to complete one of the two. I'm partial to the 15, but I won't be keeping the kit.

So, which configuration do you think would attract more potential buyers, 12, 15, 22 or 12, 16, 22?  Finishing both FTs at this time is not an option.

In case it makes a difference, all shells are Ludwig 3-ply and the FTs were once concert toms.

Thanks

Edited by ludwig402, 14 September 2018 - 07:50 PM.

cworrick

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block

• Members
  • 6,318 posts
  • LocationNortheast Indiana

More common.
Heads are easier to find.
Easier for resale if that's what you sre planning. 15s are more of a specialty.

idrum4fun

idrum4fun

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  • Locationsouthern California

I love my custom 12x15 Rogers floor tom, but will also have to say go with the 16 for the same reasons listed above.

-Mark

stretch33

stretch33

Drum Czar

• Platinum
  • 2,782 posts
  • LocationSanta Cruz, California

More desirable if selling it.

Hop

Hop

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,345 posts
  • LocationL.A., CA
Ditto on the 16" for the more traditional configuration, that will likely appeal to a greater number of potential buyers.

RickP

RickP

Dan RH Jr.

• Platinum
  • 12,954 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

Another vote for the 16", especially since it is a 16 x 14. I far prefer the 16 x 14 to the standard 16 x 16. 

Elvis

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll

• Members
  • 10,179 posts
  • LocationPoulsbo, Wa.

Hey all,

On my current project, I've got an 8x12 and a 14x22 ready for re-wrap. I've also got 12x15 and 14x16 shells but only enough lugs and legs  to complete one of the two. I'm partial to the 15, but I won't be keeping the kit.

So, which configuration do you think would attract more potential buyers, 12, 15, 22 or 12, 16, 22?  Finishing both FTs at this time is not an option.

In case it makes a difference, all shells are Ludwig 3-ply and the FTs were once concert toms.

Thanks

My preference would actually be 14x14, because that's my World-Tour-On-A-Budget Kit, but since that is not an option, I would vote for 16x14.

I used to have a 20/12/16 kit and those sizes all worked together really well.

In addition, if you can find a 14" rack tom, that would make it (what I call) a Convertible kit, since the toms (12/14/16) can be assembled into a smaller second kit for more intimate settings.

...anyway, who wouldn't want to R-O-C-K on a 22/14/16 kit! That's approaching Bonzo territory.  :headbang:

Elvis

P.S. Another way to look at this - since you're partial to the 15, build this kit with the 16 and sell it all off. Then you have a drum leftover that you actually want and build a drumkit that you would keep for yourself (hopefully funded by the sale of the kit you're currently building) and be happier with the end product, since you prefer the sizes you used to build it. Your own personal Favourite kit.  :thumbup:

Edited by Elvis, 14 September 2018 - 08:53 PM.

ThomFloor

ThomFloor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

I would say the 15 ....just to be different.... but its only 12 deep. Not good in that respect. The real oomph comes from the depth in a floor tom.

15 is actually a great size fitting between 16 and 14, but the world was just not ready to make enough 15 heads. That will be an issue, but you can order them.

Fat Drummer

Fat Drummer

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,076 posts
  • LocationTennessee
Same as the others, if it's for you... then the 15". But since it's for sale, I would go 16" as its more traditional.

dangermoney

dangermoney

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • LocationBaton Rouge, LA

If I was keeping the kit, I would go with the 12x15.  But if I was selling it, I agree that the lion's share of potential buyers would likely prefer the 14x16.

So, 14x16 would be my choice ...

supershifter2

supershifter2

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 5,525 posts
  • LocationLost Angeles , Ca.

I have 8 12x15 toms and never have a problem getting heads.

Elvis

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll

• Members
  • 10,179 posts
  • LocationPoulsbo, Wa.

Superhifter,

You wanna 9th?

PM me.

Elvis

supershifter2

supershifter2

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 5,525 posts
  • LocationLost Angeles , Ca.

Superhifter,

You wanna 9th?

PM me.

Elvis

PM sent

JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy

Percussionist Maximus

• Platinum
  • 5,193 posts
  • LocationPebble Beach, CA
Never seen or had a 15.....16 for me.

Tonly

Tonly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • LocationIndy
I agree with the 16 sentiment but damn 15” Toms are really nice.

idrum4fun

idrum4fun

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,360 posts

Never seen or had a 15.....16 for me.

Here you go, JDG! A real live 12x15 floor tom! Started life as a marching tenor drum and converted to a great sound floor tom, with 21" Rogers Swivo legs, that goes with the Rogers kit in my avatar (the pictured floor tom is the original 16x16)

Easy to order 15" heads online and some are easily found at my local Sam Ash and GC. Still, for the OP, it's a safer bet to go with the 14x16.

-Mark

Attached Files

• Attached File  4.jpg   241.06KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  3.jpg   213.39KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  1.jpg   180.26KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  2.jpg   169.44KB   0 downloads

ludwig402

ludwig402

Forum Guru

• Platinum
  • 1,328 posts
  • LocationNJ

Thank you all for the replies...16 it is!

Head fit on the 15 will be snug when wrapped, and I was bummed to find out that Remo does not make a 15" Classic Fit head. At least not the last time I looked.

I still love the sound of this tom though and I'll take Elvis's advice and hold on to the drum for a project I keep for myself.

BTW, didn't Ludwig offer a Club Date configuration with a 12x15" floor tom back in the day?

idrum4fun

idrum4fun

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,360 posts

Head fit on the 15 will be snug when wrapped, and I was bummed to find out that Remo does not make a 15" Classic Fit head. At least not the last time I looked.

I still love the sound of this tom though and I'll take Elvis's advice and hold on to the drum for a project I keep for myself.

BTW, didn't Ludwig offer a Club Date configuration with a 12x15" floor tom back in the day?

Yes, Ludwig did offer the Club Date with a 12x15" floor tom, but only in the very early 60's. Here's a link... http://www.vintagedr...0_club_date.jpg Slingerland did the same with their Stage Band configuration. In fact, for years, the cataloged Slingerland kit showed the 12x15, even though it had been replaced with the 14x14. I also wasn't aware that the Remo Classic fit doesn't yet come in a 15" size.

-Mark

ludwig402

ludwig402

Forum Guru

• Platinum
  • 1,328 posts
  • LocationNJ

Yes, Ludwig did offer the Club Date with a 12x15" floor tom, but only in the very early 60's. Here's a link... http://www.vintagedr...0_club_date.jpg Slingerland did the same with their Stage Band configuration. In fact, for years, the cataloged Slingerland kit showed the 12x15, even though it had been replaced with the 14x14. I also wasn't aware that the Remo Classic fit doesn't yet come in a 15" size.

-Mark

Thanks Mark, I didn't know Slingerland also did the same.

Love that Duco combination in the link!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users