• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

DanRH

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger

• Double Platinum
  • 20,890 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area
I know, apples and oranges. Still, this week I picked up a 5x14 PT and a 5x14 Supra. Played them on the gig last night and I preferred the PT. A little more bite and crispyness I was looking for. And this coming from a nonCOB Guy...

Attached Files

Edited by DanRH, 15 September 2018 - 02:29 PM.

Skyrm

Skyrm

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,413 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Can't go wrong with either, but there is really something about those old Rogers drums.

DanRH

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger

• Double Platinum
  • 20,890 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area
I’m going to put on some generic wires on the soup today. The wires that were in there seem like specialty wires. Gonna real dumb it down. BTW, I installed the wires thinking it would work. They didn’t.

DanRH

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger

• Double Platinum
  • 20,890 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Can't go wrong with either, but there is really something about those old Rogers drums.

You are correct sir.

rondrums51

rondrums51

rondrums51

• Members
  • 9,229 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Florida

Brass is "crispier" and has more attack than aluminum alloy. If that's what you want, Powertone wins. 

DanRH

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger

• Double Platinum
  • 20,890 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Brass is "crispier" and has more attack than aluminum alloy. If that's what you want, Powertone wins.

I hear you but My Oriollo aluminum’s provide me that perfect amount of crispness I need. To these old ears anyway.

Mongrel

Mongrel

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey, USA
Funny....my first real snare drum and the only one I had for years was a 5x14 '66 COB Powertone. I cracked the top hoop back around '79 and replaced it with a diecast Gretsch rim I had lying around. You wanna talk about "crack"?

Anyway...I honestly could not then, nor can I today, understand all the brew-ha-ha about the Ludwigs. To this day I have no need for any other metal shelled snares, no matter the material nor the make, but I do enjoy my Acrolites....

Edited by Mongrel, 17 September 2018 - 10:55 AM.

rondrums51

rondrums51

rondrums51

• Members
  • 9,229 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Florida

I hear you but My Oriollo aluminum’s provide me that perfect amount of crispness I need. To these old ears anyway.

I like aluminum, too. I think it has a prettier tone than brass.

jptrickster

jptrickster

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 7,313 posts
  • LocationFairfield County

The PT was a little bright and crisp for my liking although the overall performance was superb and the quality top shelf.

Honestly I never really got on with any brass snares. I'm more an aluminum alloy fan, dryer darker.

gwbasley

gwbasley

Drum Czar

• Platinum
  • 2,464 posts
  • LocationHoliday, Florida

Dan - My vote is for the Powertone.  I had a COB PT for many years and it was the best sounding snare I ever owned.

I ran a Fiberskyn batter on it, otherwise plain Jane snares and snare head... it had a studio sound.

trappemann

trappemann

Advanced Snr. Member

• Gold
  • 919 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Have you put a magnet to the Powertone?

Not all Powertones are brass.

I think the earliest models, contrary to common belief, are steel.  Brass followed.

rhythmace

rhythmace

Rhythmace

• Gold
  • 10,690 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Texas

I think the earliest models, contrary to common belief, are steel.  Brass followed.

Unless there is a prototype or some special order, all metal Powertones are COB. Cook got that wrong in his book. Ace

Prufrock

Prufrock

Advanced Snr. Member

• Gold
  • 886 posts
  • LocationUSA

I find this thread interesting since it is about a sound comparison of two quality drums, one aluminum and the other COB.  Price hasn't been mentioned.  While Supras are famous to the point of being over-priced, COB Powertones can be had for at least $100 less.  This alone makes the question of which one sounds "better" (or even if they are equally good options) relevant.  

If someone wants the Supra aluminum sound, a Rogers COB isn't going to cut it.  Saying this, a lot of people enthuse about COB Supras, and great premiums are asked (and paid) for vintage examples.  Part of this is due, apparently, to the amazing sound of the COB Supras (along with the relative scarcity).  As such, I think a comparison in sound between a very expensive vintage COB Supra and a COB Powertone would be worthy of discussion, as the price differential on comparable drums is even more extreme than that between a run-of-the-mill Supra and a Powertone.

Anyone able to do a comparison between like-for-like COB models?

dangermoney

dangermoney

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • LocationBaton Rouge, LA

I find this thread interesting since it is about a sound comparison of two quality drums, one aluminum and the other COB.  Price hasn't been mentioned.  While Supras are famous to the point of being over-priced, COB Powertones can be had for at least $100 less.  This alone makes the question of which one sounds "better" (or even if they are equally good options) relevant.  

If someone wants the Supra aluminum sound, a Rogers COB isn't going to cut it.  Saying this, a lot of people enthuse about COB Supras, and great premiums are asked (and paid) for vintage examples.  Part of this is due, apparently, to the amazing sound of the COB Supras (along with the relative scarcity).  As such, I think a comparison in sound between a very expensive vintage COB Supra and a COB Powertone would be worthy of discussion, as the price differential on comparable drums is even more extreme than that between a run-of-the-mill Supra and a Powertone.

If one was to undertake such a comparison between COB models, then the Slingerland Sound King should also be included as the price point on these snares is pretty close to the Powertone ...

jptrickster

jptrickster

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 7,313 posts
  • LocationFairfield County

Unless there is a prototype or some special order, all metal Powertones are COB. Cook got that wrong in his book. Ace

Wasn't it the Superten that was steel?

Prufrock

Prufrock

Advanced Snr. Member

• Gold
  • 886 posts
  • LocationUSA

If one was to undertake such a comparison between COB models, then the Slingerland Sound King should also be included as the price point on these snares is pretty close to the Powertone ...

Good point!  It seems like you can get a Sound King for even less than a Powertone these days.

I would add the Camco COB drums, but they are too difficult to find (and often a bit pricey) to be a reasonable bargain in the way the COB Powertones and Sound Kings are.  Saying this, a pre-serial Supra COB is pretty expensive, and I would think a Camco would be a reasonable competitor at a lower price (for one with the Tuxedo lugs, at any rate).  

Edited by Prufrock, 16 September 2018 - 10:42 AM.

Rich K.

Rich K.

A Piper at the Gates of Dawn

• Platinum
  • 10,109 posts
  • LocationSavannah, GA

I think the earliest models, contrary to common belief, are steel. Brass followed.

Wasn't it the Superten that was steel?
Yes, Supertens are steel.

Recently on the Rogers facebook page about the occasional aluminum powertones that exist.

DanC

DanC

"Get in, sit down, shut up, hold on"

• Silver
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Florida, behind a Rogers kit

Unless there is a prototype or some special order, all metal Powertones are COB. Cook got that wrong in his book. A

Indeed...

DanRH

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger

• Double Platinum
  • 20,890 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

As a side note, I paid $175 for the Supra and $250 for the PT.

Edited by DanRH, 16 September 2018 - 10:51 AM.

Prufrock

Prufrock

Advanced Snr. Member

• Gold
  • 886 posts
  • LocationUSA

As a side note, I paid $175 for the Supra and $250 for the PT.

That sounds spot on for the Powertone, and a good deal (based on the high prices people ask) for the Supra.  I would think you could turn a bit of a profit on the Supra if you flipped it.  Doesn't it seem that even really roached ones go for more than $175?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users