• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

audiochurch

audiochurch

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,188 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey
just played a killer backyard party with a soul dance band. used the biggest kit ive set up in years! im normally a one-snare guy, but this cheap Tama stagestar sounds so good cranked. excellent color option when needed in a tune. of course, my main Ludwig Black Magic Stainless Steel was with me as the main snare. Tried a diecast hoop for kicks and it cut!

any cool backyard bashes this summer?

Attached Files

rculberson

rculberson

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,282 posts
  • LocationLebec, California

Aww man, I love the backyard parties too!  Nice rig you've got there.  Here's a nice backyard gig I played a few months back.

Attached Files

Edited by rculberson, 16 September 2018 - 03:02 AM.

pedro navahas

pedro navahas

Drum Czar

• Platinum
  • 2,491 posts
Love backyard party gigs!
We did one in July and had a blast

TheBeachBoy

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire

• Platinum
  • 7,298 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

We do so many I can't keep count (that's not good as a drummer  :laughing6: )

The only thing I don't like is when it's awkward to get my rock n roller to the "stage" area, like if there's gravel or stairs. That goes for any gig, but it's more likely at backyard parties.

RickP

RickP

Dan RH Jr.

• Platinum
  • 12,956 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North
Attached File  E18FF6FF-5D00-4F42-B9A2-03F73F7610C9.jpeg   109.45KB   1 downloadsAttached File  1B0CC8D1-BC26-4027-8B26-4B0BDB2DE2C7.jpeg   132.81KB   0 downloads

Played a Backyard Party gig last night. It was a lot of fun and we got fed well too. Very appreciative crowd.
I brought out the Slingerland 80n kit I picked up at the last Chicago Drum Show with Eyedrum and Treviso.

bob

bob

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,690 posts

attachicon.gif E18FF6FF-5D00-4F42-B9A2-03F73F7610C9.jpegattachicon.gif 1B0CC8D1-BC26-4027-8B26-4B0BDB2DE2C7.jpeg

Played a Backyard Party gig last night. It was a lot of fun and we got fed well too. Very appreciative crowd.
I brought out the Slingerland 80n kit I picked up at the last Chicago Drum Show with Eyedrum and Treviso.

i'm really digging that , slingy set of yours  .... beauties ....

Tonly

Tonly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • LocationIndy

just played a killer backyard party with a soul dance band. used the biggest kit ive set up in years! im normally a one-snare guy, but this cheap Tama stagestar sounds so good cranked. excellent color option when needed in a tune. of course, my main Ludwig Black Magic Stainless Steel was with me as the main snare. Tried a diecast hoop for kicks and it cut!

Nice. Love the rig. It’s great when you find a snare (or whatever) that sounds great when it really probably doesn’t make sense. I like most of us have had higher dollar snares and I keep going back to a 70s acro that just Works.

franke

franke

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 6,116 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Did anyone fall in the pool?

drumtek

drumtek

• Gold
  • 344 posts
Did one a couple of weekscago for an old band mate. Had to bring out the rock kit.
Glad i dont have to drag this beast around every gig!

Attached Files

audiochurch

audiochurch

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,188 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Aww man, I love the backyard parties too! Nice rig you've got there. Here's a nice backyard gig I played a few months back.

thanks! looks like you had a killer gig in your pic as well!

my rig in this pics is 5 different brands of 5 drums. add some tambourine, cowbell, splash, and cymbals, i really didnt need the toms. all dance, funk, groove beats all night. here is a link to all the fun: https://m.facebook.c..._composer=false

audiochurch

audiochurch

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,188 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Did anyone fall in the pool?

no. tons of dancing though: https://m.facebook.c..._composer=false

audiochurch

audiochurch

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,188 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Nice. Love the rig. It’s great when you find a snare (or whatever) that sounds great when it really probably doesn’t make sense. I like most of us have had higher dollar snares and I keep going back to a 70s acro that just Works.

thanks! this is a rare set-up for me. usually just a four-piece(8,13, 14sd, 20bd) with ride, hats, and crash(or just a splash).

i agree on your Acro comparison. For me, the black magic is IT for the past 8 years.

it got ultra wet at this gig though, and I’ll have my 6yo help me completely dismantle and clean/lube/Mothers it. Cool downside of this taking a month to do with my 6yo is that I have a dunnett raw titanium as a spare for the next few weeks of gigs

audiochurch

audiochurch

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,188 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

E18FF6FF-5D00-4F42-B9A2-03F73F7610C9.jpeg 1B0CC8D1-BC26-4027-8B26-4B0BDB2DE2C7.jpeg

killer slingerlands!! your drums tempt me to bring out mine from my lesson/personal practice studio. Slingerlands are built like tanks, but without weighing too much.

kb

kb

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,287 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

I had two in a row two weeks ago.

Both were extremely difficult load-ins.

Both required "early set-up."

They payed okay, $300 and $400 per man, but we were getting that same money in 2000 for similar gigs, before the dot-com bust. Both clients were stinking rich, and could easily have payed three times as much without feeling it in the least. Both the Agent and the band leader share blame for the low bread.

Early set-up, difficult load-ins like gravel, grass or stairs, off site parking, all should pay extra money. And deep pockets like multimillion dollar estates in Danville and Atherton should pay more.

We were making the same money for these same gigs EIGHTEEN YEARS AGO!

I'm happy for you, but I do not love them myself. They're a pain, and I always feel dirty afterwards....

shuffle

shuffle

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 5,270 posts
  • LocationReno/Tahoe
Did two this summer,a wedding reception and a retirement party,both in Tahoe,both paid extremely well,food,and beautiful women and surroundings.
Bad load in and no stages,on the ground.
Fun gigs!

bob

bob

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,690 posts

played 1 this summer .... same thing as , shuffles.... good pay , pretty girls , lots of dancing  

played this rogers set  20 12 14 ..... which is for sale ......

Attached Files

JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy

Percussionist Maximus

• Platinum
  • 5,205 posts
  • LocationPebble Beach, CA

I played a few back in the day when I was a bassist in a reggae band - we also did jam music (Dead, Phish, Allmans, etc.) and the guys in the band were younger (late teens) and I was in my early 20's - we had a great time back in the day in Orange Co.  HB surfers knew how to have fun and partay!

As a kid, the house behind us and one over always had live music on Saturday night - like crazy loud parties!  I used to sit in the bathroom upstairs by the open window to see the lights, people and listen to the live classic rock and air drum along (especially Frankenstein!).  I always wanted to be in that band!  By the time I got my first drums a few years later, though, I was more into heavy metal (Crue, Ratt, Sabbath, etc.) and did that for a while...........but little did that band know they helped me during my formative early years to appreciate not only music but also live playing.

EvEnStEvEn

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~

• Members
  • 16,239 posts
  • LocationOklur Homer

I played hundreds of backyard "Kegger parties" as a young drummer but I'm not very enthused about playing them now.

Any drunken/drugged-up imbecile and his buddies can just walk right up to you and start blathering on about some nonsense - I don't like that.

At least in a nightclub or indoor venue with an actual bandstand you have security or someplace like the dressing room to get away from these morons, but if a brawl breaks out at a backyard bash there's no security and nowhere to go..... you're on your own.

Still, I play a couple every year for the money....... Strictly for the money.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users