Photo

Kenny Aronoff - the tribute concert king!

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Olderschool

Olderschool

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,530 posts
  • LocationUsa

Is it me or does Kenny Aronoff always seem to land the special event concerts such as Lennon' B'day, Gregg Allman celebration, Beatles 50th anniversary, etc.. It seems like every time there is a special event concert I spot that bald head with dark sunglasses :lol:

glynch

glynch

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,169 posts
  • LocationTexarkana, TX
I've noticed that too. He seems to be the go to guy.

ThomFloor

ThomFloor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

If you get a chance read his book. He has played with everybody, is sought out by everybody, and has never said no to any offer. Still playing over 300 dates per year, sometimes 2 in 1 day.

cworrick

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block

• Members
  • 6,321 posts
  • LocationNortheast Indiana
Plus he can read charts like most of us breathe air. That's why he gets called for the gigs in the first place.

cochlea

cochlea

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,647 posts
  • LocationWestern New York

There was an interview with him in MD not that long ago where he discussed making himself available and not having an attitude. The more I think about it, Paul Shaffer and Ray Cooper often show up in these tribute concerts as well. Maybe is has something to do with "that look."

Murat

Murat

Forum Guru

• Retail
  • 1,377 posts
  • LocationAurora, Ontario

If you get a chance read his book. He has played with everybody, is sought out by everybody, and has never said no to any offer. Still playing over 300 dates per year, sometimes 2 in 1 day.

That was funny reading his book that he is almost incapable of saying no to anyone...He is probably more connected than anyone in the business.

Houndog

Houndog

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,020 posts
  • LocationOklahoma City

He's great but I just never have enjoyed his playing ,shows what I know huh !

BonzoBonham

BonzoBonham

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 719 posts
  • LocationIllinois

That story I read about him, about Mellencamp and Steve Cropper "firing" him from recording on his "Nothing Matters and What If It Did" album as he didn't have that much studio experience at the time, really cemented his legacy. Kenny accompanied the band to LA for the session anyhow, and sat in on the sessions watching Rick Schlosser and Ed Greene do their work, learning from them. It paid off...

Edited by BonzoBonham, 16 September 2018 - 06:16 PM.

drummerjohn333

drummerjohn333

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,328 posts
  • LocationMichigan

That story I read about him, about Mellencamp and Steve Cropper "firing" him from recording on his "Nothing Matters and What If It Did" album as he didn't have that much studio experience at the time, really cemented his legacy. Kenny accompanied the band to LA for the session anyhow, and sat in on the sessions watching Rick Schlosser and Ed Greene do their work, learning from them. It paid off...

That's one of the best stories in all of rock drumming. I bet it has been shared a thousand times by hundreds of drum teachers. Perhaps the best illustration of that lesson that could ever be shared. 

Ringofanatic1940

Ringofanatic1940

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

The more I think about it, Paul Shaffer and Ray Cooper often show up in these tribute concerts as well. Maybe is has something to do with "that look."

I think you’re onto something... LOL

JDA

JDA

Drummer Excelsior

• Members
  • 9,817 posts
  • LocationJeannette, Pa.

he knows "the moves" and is well-studied..

sort of like that guy ; ) one foot in rock another in jazz

to potentially conquer twice as much territory..

sensitive to styles

Edited by JDA, 16 September 2018 - 08:10 PM.

Tonly

Tonly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • LocationIndy
His book is a great read and he’s a really humble guy. He can play anything. That’s why he gets the calls. He plays for the gig. Nothing else. I’m sure he’d be content to boom chick for 4 hours if that’s what you asked Of him.

Edited by Tonly, 16 September 2018 - 08:32 PM.

Balance

Balance

• Members
  • 274 posts
  • LocationAustralia

I really like his simple style with JCM, really made those songs rock!

dtk

dtk

Percussionist Maximus

• Gold
  • 7,410 posts
  • LocationNeedham MA...

I was listening to Neal Grover (Grover Pro Percussion/BSO)...do a facebook live session.  He and Kenny had studied together...Neal was trying to convince Kenny to open a retail drum store with him...but Kenny went home...met John and...

wflkurt

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus

• Members
  • 8,840 posts
  • LocationChichester NH

Guys he is THE drummer on "That Thing You Do!"  How freakin cool is that??

anthony marquart

anthony marquart

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 648 posts
  • Location28027

Some call him "Kenny Can't-make-enough".  No doubt about it though.. He's the real deal,. I saw him running the airport in Nashville once. He was on task for sure..

Tigerdrummer

Tigerdrummer

• Members
  • 282 posts
  • LocationOhio

Among drummers he is great.  Sheryl Crow is the same as a performer.  She is always at these tribute / all start things 

drummaman1

drummaman1

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 838 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Plus he can read charts like most of us breathe air. That's why he gets called for the gigs in the first place.

Not just his reading, but his chart writing ability is on point. I've started to enact some of his techniques charting music and it had made rehearsals, shows, go so much more smoothly. As if I had been rehearsing it for months.

VintageUSA

VintageUSA

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 790 posts
  • LocationThe South

Kenny reads charts and plays with precision in the pocket.

He doesn't dominate with flash and always makes his front man sound great.

xsabers

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer

• Members
  • 9,964 posts

Kenny reads charts and plays with precision in the pocket.

He doesn't dominate with flash and always makes his front man sound great.

AND hits HARD! Very physical player. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users