• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

ARGuy

ARGuy

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationMinnesota
I've got the chance to buy this drum, but there are a couple of strange things about it. Here's what it looks like:
[attachment=2]Rogerswooddyna1.jpg[/attachment]

The interior is where it gets interesting:
[attachment=1]Rogerswooddyna2.jpg[/attachment]
There was speculation that it was a Slingerland shell that the Rogers factory used when they were out of their own shells.

Then there are these 2 sets of holes at the end of each snare bed:
[attachment=25562:1175_c46f57788bc757c28877034e641b20c9]

The serial number is 29815, and the grommet is missing. I don't think the tension rods are original, but the frame and the snares do appear to be.
Can anybody shed some light on this one?

DanC

DanC

Workin' on a chain gang...

• Members
  • 11,573 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Florida, behind a Rogers kit
I'm pretty sure that's not the real thing. It looks like a clone built with Rogers parts and a mystery shell, but it does look like a Slingerland shell...

Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests
I agree Dan...clone built from a Slingy shell. Doesn't look bad, but not the real thing.

Chris

vintagedrumservices

vintagedrumservices

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I agree with previous posts - if it helps have a look at these indepth photos of my 1963 Rogers BDP Wood Shell Dynasonic http://s179.photobuc...%201963%2014x5/

Hope they help
Martin

DonS

DonS

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 886 posts
  • LocationTucson AZ
Definitely a Slingerland shell. "M" I believe was used to desigmnate drums which could be stained. "P" was for pearl wraps.
Is it a single ply shell?? Interesting drum.
Regards
DonS

jptrickster

jptrickster

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 5,118 posts
  • LocationFairfield County
I have 2 qusetions for the board....Did Slingerland make a 10 lug wooden shelled snare?
Do beavertails and Slingerland lugs have the same mounting hole centers?
Ok, 3 questions....Is it possible this shell was undrilled when the fabricator got ahold of it?

Rogersoholic

Rogersoholic

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,717 posts
  • LocationDrumFox.com
+1 I think its a clone too. I dont think the factory would not forget the grommet.

Dave H.

Dave H.

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 5,086 posts
  • LocationSt. Joseph IL.
While I agree that it looks like a Slingerland shell with the "M "marking I do remember reading that Rogers did buy shells from time to time from Slingerland so there is a chance that it is a Slingerland shell sold to Rogers. The finish work & the hoops just look reworked or different from a stock Slingerland shell :idea1:

Dave Huffman :occasion5:

DanC

DanC

• Members
  • 11,573 posts
The lug mounting screws are 69-70's ; the serial number also indicates an early 70's Dynasonic; CBS bought Rogers in 1966.
I don't think this drum could have been made during the era of CBS ownership, especially after the move to Fullerton in 1969.

The grommet missing from the oval badge is a sign of a non-factory drum.

The hardware holding the buttplate on is not right. Those 2 cups that are mounted upside down are normally used as lug-screw spacers on a COB Dynasonic. Probably came from the Rogers donor drum used to build this one.

For me, at least, it's easier to believe that an undrilled Slingy shell was spirited out of the Slingerland plant at some point, and, a year or 5 later, was used to build this drum.

tommykat1

tommykat1

Percussionist Maximus

• Double Platinum
  • 6,960 posts
  • LocationOregon
Not to mention the wrap. It doesn't look like Wildwood, and it couldn't be anything else in that configuration or reputed era.

ARGuy

ARGuy

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Not to mention the wrap. It doesn't look like Wildwood, and it couldn't be anything else in that configuration or reputed era.

It's not a wrap. It looks a lot like the Ludwig Natural finish being talked about on another thread.
I'm inclined to go with Dave H's theory. There are no plugged or extra holes (except for the 2 small ones in the re-rings at each end of the snare bed - what's the story with them?) Is it possible the grommet simply fell off? If the Rogers grommet was the right length for a Rogers shell, but too short for a Slingerland they could have cut it down and glued it in.
Then again, none of the tension rods are original. Either way, I'm not calling it a real wood Dyna since there are too many questions. I probably won't buy it unless the price is really right. If anyone is interested, PM me and I'll be glad to work things out.

dave drew

dave drew

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 687 posts
  • Locationwoonsocket .r.i. 401 769 3552
also looking at the picture it looks like a 5 1/2 deep drum ????????? rogers never made that they would of been 5 x 14?? please check the dpth - slingerland did make a5 1./2 x 14 shell

DanC

DanC

• Members
  • 11,573 posts
Also,
Rogers did not offer a natural finish in the early 70's. And why would they let their 'flagship' drum go out the door made with someone else's shell? With the wood splintered around some of the lug holes inside as well.

And they had various length grommets for the metal or maple drums they were building. Nothing would have been cut down or glued in.

I'm sorry, but that is not a factory-built drum....

ARGuy

ARGuy

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

also looking at the picture it looks like a 5 1/2 deep drum ????????? rogers never made that they would of been 5 x 14?? please check the dpth - slingerland did make a5 1./2 x 14 shell

Good eye! It is 5.5" deep.
Dan - You make a very good case that it wasn't made in the Rogers factory, and you've swayed me to your side. At best, it could have been made in the Slingerland factory from a donor dyna. That could explain the grommet and the non-original tension rods - those from a 5" deep drum would have been too short.
Thanks, everyone.

tommykat1

tommykat1

Percussionist Maximus

• Double Platinum
  • 6,960 posts
  • LocationOregon

It's not a wrap. It looks a lot like the Ludwig Natural finish being talked about on another thread.
I'm inclined to go with Dave H's theory. There are no plugged or extra holes (except for the 2 small ones in the re-rings at each end of the snare bed - what's the story with them?) Is it possible the grommet simply fell off? If the Rogers grommet was the right length for a Rogers shell, but too short for a Slingerland they could have cut it down and glued it in.
Then again, none of the tension rods are original. Either way, I'm not calling it a real wood Dyna since there are too many questions. I probably won't buy it unless the price is really right. If anyone is interested, PM me and I'll be glad to work things out.

The "wrap" I was referring to was the beech veneer ply containing dye that was ingested in the tree roots to form the extremely rare Wildwood finish. There were no natural finish Rogers drums produced in that era. The drum advertised is clearly not a Rogers drum as evidenced by both interior and exterior. For the era the badge indicates, the Wildwood finish is the only wood finish that would be authentic--with the vary rare exception of a special order mahogany ply, which I've ever seen.

Here's Wildwood from that era:

ARGuy

ARGuy

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationMinnesota
tommykat1 - Thanks for the photos of a real wood shelled Rogers snare. Thanks to the knowledgeable forum members here, I had reached the conclusion that the drum did not come from the Rogers factory. I'm not selling the drum; it's not mine and won't be since I don't think it has much collectors value. The only way I would be involved with its sale is as an intermediary.

brhythm

brhythm

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,383 posts
  • LocationMaine
Also, wouldn't the drum in question have the fruitwood stain on the inside?

4MoreYearsOhNo

4MoreYearsOhNo

• Members
  • 342 posts
  • LocationBoston
Does anyone else remember this? When Gretsch closed a plant down south, they sold their leftover inventory to someone who was selling it on his website and partially on ebay. He had a lot of parts - shells, hoops, lugs and such, and also had some Slingerland shells both drilled and undrilled. This was several years ago when Rogers wood dynas were very hot. My guess is the drum we're looking at was a donor Rogers metal dyna with one of those Slingerland shells, which would explain why there are no extra lug holes.

tommykat1

tommykat1

Percussionist Maximus

• Double Platinum
  • 6,960 posts
  • LocationOregon

brhythm said:

Also, wouldn't the drum in question have the fruitwood stain on the inside?

No, the fruitwood stain would be from around 1964 and before, in the 6xxx serial number range.

Posted Image
Posted Image

tommykat1

tommykat1

Percussionist Maximus

• Double Platinum
  • 6,960 posts
  • LocationOregon

4MoreYearsOhNo said:

Does anyone else remember this? When Gretsch closed a plant down south, they sold their leftover inventory to someone who was selling it on his website and partially on ebay. He had a lot of parts - shells, hoops, lugs and such, and also had some Slingerland shells both drilled and undrilled. This was several years ago when Rogers wood dynas were very hot. My guess is the drum we're looking at was a donor Rogers metal dyna with one of those Slingerland shells, which would explain why there are no extra lug holes.

...and why the little metal cups were used upside down, left over from the interior COB fasteners! As DanC pointed out, these were needed as spacers in the COB models because the shells were thinner than the wood ones. That way they could standardize on one screw size.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users