Photo

Inside the hallowed walls of John Bonhams home...

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Bonzoghost

Bonzoghost

• Members
  • 349 posts
  • LocationSunny/Rainy/Crappy England

Sad and incredibly moving short film that Jason B has posted on his website.

That room is unchanged since 1980, albeit a few more Gold discs on the walls.

And, oh, just look at those drums. I love to know where that Green Sparkle's been. Assuming that particular kit never left England in the early/mid 70's, he could have recorded many classics with it at Stargroves and Headley Grange......who knows. :(

biggator

biggator

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 6,756 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA
Wow!! :shock: :shock:

Lee

Lee

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,509 posts
"Unchanged" since 1980? The the Zildjian hi hat bottom with strong logos and rippled edge that appears at about 1:13 on the video snuck in sometime around....

Retro Rob

Retro Rob

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,351 posts
Thanks for sharing, WoW

bonzoleum

bonzoleum

BONZOLEUM

• Gold
  • 2,455 posts
  • LocationChicago IL.

Thanks for sharing, WoW

I'll bet that's the green sparkle kit he recorded with. Very cool indeed!

There's a pic or two of him playing a black & white vista kit taken in that room. Playing Zildjian cymbals by the way!!!

So much for my saying so many times on this forum that all his wood kits had the granitone interiors! Doh! (I heard that from what I thought to be a very reliable source..).

Jimmy Page has kept the Zep mystique strong for many years by withholding tons of recordings, film clips & photos... I'd love to see all the TRTS concret footage. Studio pics too would be terrific!

hutdoug

hutdoug

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,385 posts
  • LocationHartford City, Indiana
The Green Sparkles were in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Museum in Cleveland about 7 or 8 years ago. My son and I saw them. Went back about 5 years ago and they were gone.

Dave H.

Dave H.

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 5,080 posts
  • LocationSt. Joseph IL.
Great video, check out some of the others while u are there! :idea1:

Dave Huffman :occasion5:

agogobil

agogobil

Drum Czardine

• Platinum
  • 5,031 posts
  • LocationStL
I wonder what he was listening to (albums on shelf).

Bonzoghost

Bonzoghost

• Members
  • 349 posts
  • LocationSunny/Rainy/Crappy England

"Unchanged" since 1980? The the Zildjian hi hat bottom with strong logos and rippled edge that appears at about 1:13 on the video snuck in sometime around....

I was talking about the "room", not the fecking cymbals man..

Check out Mick Bonhams book, and the images contained within. :blink:

katfish

katfish

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,406 posts
That was great! Thanks for sharing! It was always believed that his green sparkle kit had the granitone interiors, but we can see that the bass drum has a clear maple interior. I'm pretty sure that the amber vistalite kit in the video is the new reissue. The rack tom has 8 lugs and the bass drum has the B/O badge closer to the batter side as opposed to the reso side like in the 70's.

wayne

wayne

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,883 posts
Very moving..thx for that.

Jnas

Jnas

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,008 posts
  • LocationPasco WA
Man the view is killer! I would never want to leave!

Lee

Lee

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,509 posts

That room is unchanged since 1980, albeit a few more Gold discs on the walls.

Not to nit pick...oldboy...but your "fecking" statement was above.

Archt

Archt

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,804 posts
  • LocationCape Cod, MA

That was great! Thanks for sharing! It was always believed that his green sparkle kit had the granitone interiors, but we can see that the bass drum has a clear maple interior. I'm pretty sure that the amber vistalite kit in the video is the new reissue. The rack tom has 8 lugs and the bass drum has the B/O badge closer to the batter side as opposed to the reso side like in the 70's.

I thought the re issues vistas all had the small lugs.

Very cool post thanks for the link!

Jdrum

Jdrum

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,039 posts
  • LocationNortheast

Cool vid. Bonzo's kit at the Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame had Granitone interiors. There was supposedly more than one Green Sparkle set.

PJD

PJD

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 792 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Cool vid. Bonzo's kit at the Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame had Granitone interiors. There was supposedly more than one Green Sparkle set.

There were three, and I don't buy that the on in the Ocheltree video is Bonham's. Allegedly one was sold and the other two are with the family. I don't have my Thunder of Drums book with me.

As for the Vistas, Ludwig would send out Vistas as needed to replace drums that were broken during touring. There were also some bigger toms that he occasionally switched out. So in reality the set you see when he first started using them aren't all the exact same drums you see him using at Earls Court in '75.

GiantBeater

GiantBeater

• Members
  • 380 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL
was the green sparkle BD in the video 6 ply or was it just me?

K.O.

K.O.

DFO Drum Lord

• Members
  • 13,577 posts
  • LocationIllinois
That's a very cool video but that Amber set is a re-issue (perhaps the reason the camera doesn't linger over it quite as lovingly as on the Green set). The mounted tom has 8 lugs while a 70's 10 x 14 would only have 6, the badge on the bass drum is in the wrong spot (should be closer to the reso head). The inlays are gold sparkle (should be gold silk on an early to mid 70's set) and the bass drum T-rods have those white nylon spacers on them.

PaiceFan

PaiceFan

• Members
  • 396 posts
Not to mention that the tom on the vista is mounted on a snare stand not a rail consolete not sure if I spelled that right. That is a haunting video. I especially like the close up of the remo head on the Supra with all the marks that Bonzo himself must have made. It's like a time capsule alright. Amazing that a guy who was only 32 years old when he died would have such an impact on drumming. I know he really had an impact on me. I was a junior in High School when he died. I think it's great that the young kids still love him. I know he will always be one of my drum idols.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users