• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

ShowDrummer

ShowDrummer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationMarlboro, MA
I was in Boston on Friday and noticed that Jack's Drum Shop was gone. I remember there was a whole bunch of music stores on Boylston Street, across Mass Ave from Berklee, and Jack's was in that strip of stores. There was a posting on an internet site about Jack's closing in January of 2008 (ok, I don't get to the Berklee area as much as I should) but this is the first I've seen it.

Does anybody know what happened?

drummer

drummer

• Members
  • 260 posts

I was in Boston on Friday and noticed that Jack's Drum Shop was gone. I remember there was a whole bunch of music stores on Boylston Street, across Mass Ave from Berklee, and Jack's was in that strip of stores. There was a posting on an internet site about Jack's closing in January of 2008 (ok, I don't get to the Berklee area as much as I should) but this is the first I've seen it.

Does anybody know what happened?

His shop is now in Hyannis MA

TommyWells

TommyWells

Pro/Founder

• Members
  • 7,805 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tn.
When I was there, Jack's was downtown, as was Wurlitzer. Then Wurlitzer moved to Newbury and Mass ave. Let's see, that was 1972..... I'm a little out of touch. :unsure:

Sonorholic

Sonorholic

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 5,322 posts
  • LocationCarlisle, MA.
There's no dedicated drum store in Boston anymore and it's a shame. Jacks was a real institution, but Kenny decided to move out and no one has taken his place. Sean at Boston Drum Center is good but he had to move out to the burbs too. I'm lucky, as it's nearby, but friends in town are hurting. Hopefully someone will step up and open a drum shop.. but then again, that's a tough job right now.

Pounder

Pounder

A Piper at the Gates of Dawn

• Members
  • 10,341 posts
  • LocationNorman, OK
I went into Jack's regularly quite a while (!) ago, back when the EAKs were out.. Couldn't settle on one! They were nice to me in there, though. I bought mostly drumsticks.

SteveB

SteveB

Drummer Excelsior

• Members
  • 7,601 posts
  • LocationSouth Hampton, NH
First Scotty...then Jack's. Things just aren't the same and that's the proof right there. Ken always had the store in Hyannis. I remember when there were 3 drum only shops in town..Jack's, Harvey Simon's and Drummer's Image, which was right over Aerosmith's practice hall that ran under Newbury Street. You could feel the street vibrate once in a while. :icon_smile:

Then there was Rayburn's, Wurlitzers and Pampalone's which all had a good supply of percussion equipment. Daddy's came along later, after Berklee moved to Mass Ave.. Anyone remember the Unicorn? I bet Tommy does.

Vistaliter

Vistaliter

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,531 posts
  • LocationNorth Of Boston
The last time I was at Jacks, I spent over $800.00 on cymbals. After I paid, I asked Gregg (the manager) if I could use the bathroom (it was a borderline emergency) & he told me "employees only" - that was the last time I ever went there.

Pounder

Pounder

A Piper at the Gates of Dawn

• Members
  • 10,341 posts
  • LocationNorman, OK

The last time I was at Jacks, I spent over $800.00 on cymbals. After I paid, I asked Gregg (the manager) if I could use the bathroom (it was a borderline emergency) & he told me "employees only" - that was the last time I ever went there.

Were the cymbals any good?

wflkurt

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus

• Members
  • 6,603 posts
  • LocationChichester NH

First Scotty...then Jack's. Things just aren't the same and that's the proof right there. Ken always had the store in Hyannis. I remember when there were 3 drum only shops in town..Jack's, Harvey Simon's and Drummer's Image, which was right over Aerosmith's practice hall that ran under Newbury Street. You could feel the street vibrate once in a while. :icon_smile:

Then there was Rayburn's, Wurlitzers and Pampalone's which all had a good supply of percussion equipment. Daddy's came along later, after Berklee moved to Mass Ave.. Anyone remember the Unicorn? I bet Tommy does.

Scotty was the coolest guy ever! I still have a photo copied 1953 WFL catalog that he made for me. I'll never forget as it showed up in my mail one day out of the blue and it was photocopied and put into ring binder! I could'nt believe he did that for me! I definately miss him at the shows. :sad:

Vistaliter

Vistaliter

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,531 posts
  • LocationNorth Of Boston

Were the cymbals any good?

:-) yeah...

Vipercussionist

Vipercussionist

Drummer Extra Ordinary

• Members
  • 4,735 posts
  • LocationRhode Island, USA

Well, I'm glad I'm not the ONLY one who had a bad experience there.

I went to Jacks in my quest for a kit back in the 80's and I had saved for quite a while and I had over $3000 saved and took it with me to look at drums. If you remember the setup there, it got a bit wider down near the Cymbal area. There was a kit of Gretsch roundbadge sitting in the corner and as I went to look at them the "sales guy" told me "Don't touch them kid, you can't afford them". So, needless to say, I was BULLSHOIT at that point and I pulled out the BIG wad of cash I had with me and said "Guess who won't be getting any of THIS money" and the look on his face was PRICELESS as I walked out the door NEVER to return to the store again.

Edited by Vipercussionist, 20 October 2009 - 06:17 PM.

SteveB

SteveB

Drummer Excelsior

• Members
  • 7,601 posts

Scotty was the coolest guy ever! I still have a photo copied 1953 WFL catalog that he made for me. I'll never forget as it showed up in my mail one day out of the blue and it was photocopied and put into ring binder! I could'nt believe he did that for me! I definately miss him at the shows. :sad:

That's pretty cool Kurt! I miss the "sight" of Scotty; he had that Vegas look about him and he was always sporting different glasses. That was his era and I remember thinking years ago (early 70's) that he must be one of Boston's best swing drummers..he just had that look. I never did see him play but I did see him throw a snare across the store because he couldn't get the thing happening in his little workshop.

Sonorholic

Sonorholic

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 5,322 posts
  • LocationCarlisle, MA.
Ah the memories... Scotty was a real sweet guy and did great work for everyone. I always had a good time with the guys at Jacks, but I understand how some folks didn't. Thinking of when I first came to town in 81, E. U. W. was still at the end of Newbury St. . Freddie G. and Johnny D. who's with Zildjian now were working there.. they also had a store in Malden after that. Pampalones, was right at the T- stop. I have a Canadian K that I bought there on sale one day. Even thought I was playing all Paiste at the time, I hit it once and bought it!! and then there was Jacks.. I got quite a bit of stuff there over the years.. I don't think I still have any of it though.

customdrumsticks

customdrumsticks

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 815 posts
You buncha old farts! :icon_smile: I mostly got money from Jacks! Ken would pay me and THEN I would leave...(Richgrips drumsticks) Same in Hyannis...E.U. Wurlitzers, I would hang out way upstairs in the repair shops with Lenny Dimuseo while he would fix speakers for some Bird Killers or what not...Would go downstairs over to Pampalones and check out the inexpensive stuff there...Mostly Crate...Or sometimes I would go over to Berklee and see who was hanging around...Met Omar Hakim that way...And once Simon Phillips...Who ever woulda thought that Wurlitzer would become one big glassy department store selling refrigerators to people on Beacon Hill...

I hadn't seen Freddy G. for maybe 20 years until I was gawking at drumsticks in a GC in of all place, Totowa, New Jersey...
Who comes out from the back room? Freddy G! Was glad to see him...He really gave me a lot of encouragement when I was a kid...
He still lived in Massachusetts and commuted!

SteveB

SteveB

Drummer Excelsior

• Members
  • 7,601 posts

You buncha old farts! :icon_smile: I mostly got money from Jacks! Ken would pay me and THEN I would leave...(Richgrips drumsticks) Same in Hyannis...E.U. Wurlitzers, I would hang out way upstairs in the repair shops with Lenny Dimuseo while he would fix speakers for some Bird Killers or what not...Would go downstairs over to Pampalones and check out the inexpensive stuff there...Mostly Crate...Or sometimes I would go over to Berklee and see who was hanging around...Met Omar Hakim that way...And once Simon Phillips...Who ever woulda thought that Wurlitzer would become one big glassy department store selling refrigerators to people on Beacon Hill...

I hadn't seen Freddy G. for maybe 20 years until I was gawking at drumsticks in a GC in of all place, Totowa, New Jersey...
Who comes out from the back room? Freddy G! Was glad to see him...He really gave me a lot of encouragement when I was a kid...
He still lived in Massachusetts and commuted!

Freddie WAS running the GC in Danvers; I'm not sure if he's still there. He came in after Tom Moore split..or I should say got railroaded out. Of course he had his own shop in Everett.

I bought a huge ass Slingerland kit from Pampalone's..double 26's and all. That kit sucked but I used it for a few years anyway. :icon_smile:

biggator

biggator

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 7,028 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA
Didn't EUW get bought out by GC (like so many others)?

There was also LaSalle music there by Jacks - at least in the early 80's. My Rogers kit that I had as a kid came from Rayburn.

DrumBob

DrumBob

Drummer Excelsior

• Banned
  • 8,676 posts
  • Locationnorthwest NJ
I sold a pair of HUGE China cymbals to Jack's years ago. I scored them at a flea market locally. I think they were 26's. I think I got $50 apiece for them. We were on vacation in Mass.

Vipercussionist

Vipercussionist

Drummer Extra Ordinary

• Members
  • 4,735 posts
  • LocationRhode Island, USA

There's no dedicated drum store in Boston anymore and it's a shame. Jacks was a real institution, but Kenny decided to move out and no one has taken his place. Sean at Boston Drum Center is good but he had to move out to the burbs too. I'm lucky, as it's nearby, but friends in town are hurting. Hopefully someone will step up and open a drum shop.. but then again, that's a tough job right now.

PLUS ONE on Sean's BDC, seriously one of the coolest stores I've ever BEEN to!! The place is well laid out, and it's laid out with LOTS of really good stuff!!
Seriously the MOST selection of cymbals and different cymbal brands as I've EVER seen in one store. If I'd had some cash flow I'd have taken a few cymbals home . . . sucks being poor . . .

ALSO, just so you know, there IS a new drum store down here in Rhode Island Just check out the first link in my signature!! Mostly vintage stuff too!! Ever changing inventory as you could well imagine!!

v
v
|
|
|
|
|
V

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users