• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Wheresmyroadie?

Wheresmyroadie?

Twisted Loner

• Members
  • 2,509 posts
  • LocationOver the hill
Can any of you experts fill us in on this?

http://sacramento.cr...1444233451.html

mfryed2112

mfryed2112

Drummer Excelsior

• Members
  • 8,702 posts
  • LocationPRO FOOTBALL HALL of FAME CITY
looks like a beauty

Jim P

Jim P

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 729 posts
What kind of info are you looking for?

Wheresmyroadie?

Wheresmyroadie?

Twisted Loner

• Members
  • 2,509 posts
  • LocationOver the hill
I wasn't aware Ludwig made marimbas, and I'm wondering what the time frame was for it, and what else they made besides these. Any ancillary provenance would be interesting to hear about, too. They sure are pretty, ain't they?

PureRockFury

PureRockFury

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 786 posts
  • LocationKingston, ON, Canada

I wasn't aware Ludwig made marimbas, and I'm wondering what the time frame was for it, and what else they made besides these. Any ancillary provenance would be interesting to hear about, too. They sure are pretty, ain't they?

I'm quite certain Ludwig has made all types of mallet instruments like marimbas, xylophones, vibraphones, etc... I know they make larger concert bass drums, since my former corps has one and still uses it.

Eric Sooy

Eric Sooy

Forum Guru

• Retail
  • 1,146 posts
I had one many years ago, but a different model than that. It sorta looks like a marimba, but at 3 1/2 octaves seems like a wide bar xylo? Looks like graduated bar widths though which says marimba. For good info contact Shannon at www.malletshop.com.

nanashi

nanashi

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 907 posts
I have a set of Ludwig & Ludwig orchestra bells. I don't think they are as good a quality as my Deagins but they are good. With rosewood bars I don't think you can go wrong. It's a beautiful instrument.

In regarde to three and a half octaves, a lot of mallet instrument makers made shorter models for use in orchestra pits.

Edited by nanashi, 30 October 2009 - 11:30 PM.

chicagojzz

chicagojzz

• Silver
  • 448 posts
  • LocationChicago
Looking at some mid-20s Ludwig & Ludwig catalogs, the only marimbas and bells they show are actually identified as being Deagans (Ludwig was wholesaling instruments they bought from Deagan, since both companies were in Chicago). I don't have any catalogs from '27-29, but unless Ludwig decided to add keyboard manufacturing in that period of time and drop Deagan, my guess is that this instrument might be a Ludwig & Ludwig from after Conn bought the Ludwig brand in the late 20s.

Leedy (also purchased by Conn in that period) already made marimbas and xylophones prior to Conn buying them, and it would have been easy enough to take a Leedy marimba and market it as a Ludwig and Ludwig instrument. I can't find any L & L catalogs from the Conn era to verify the thought, but looking at this Leedy marimba from the 40s, the similarities to the one on CL are pretty convincing.

If the resonators are aluminum rather than cardboard (World War II), $1900 for this instrument is a very fair price.

Edited by chicagojzz, 31 October 2009 - 08:29 AM.

Jim P

Jim P

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 729 posts
Yes Ludwig has and still to this day makes mallet instruments. They go by the Musser name. The famous marimbist/composer Claire Omar Musser worked to help develop them at the company.

ARGuy

ARGuy

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,925 posts
  • LocationMinnesota
There's not much demand for marimbas less than 4.3 or 4.5 octaves anymore. It would be a good practice instrument for a player than knows how to take care of rosewood, or as a conversation piece.

Wheresmyroadie?

Wheresmyroadie?

Twisted Loner

• Members
  • 2,509 posts
  • LocationOver the hill
Now, see? That's what I love about this forum! Thanks to you all for the cool info and informative reference points.

it looks like I have some surfing to do. Johnny

lwebster

lwebster

Advanced Member

• Gold
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • LocationRaleigh/Durham
Interesting that the range is F-F 3 octaves, that's the same as a vibraphone. I have a Deagan Xylorimba from the same time period. Rosewood, three octaves, but C-C. I play lots of shows and use it in the pit for that. Also it's a good practice instrument when my other mallet instruments are set up on a gig somewhere and staying for the duration of the run. Had mine re-tuned and bars refinished by Gilberto Serna at Century Mallet Co. Handy and portable.

Les

Eric Sooy

Eric Sooy

Forum Guru

• Retail
  • 1,146 posts
Oh sure enough, it is 3 octaves and not 3 1/2. That old rosewood is amazing. The grain is so straight. I was told by Gilberto that Deagan used to not use 2/3 of the wood they got it. Then it was also aged for a few years before made into bars. I've also seen a picture of them x-raying the bars to check for internal problems. The good 'ol days!

daughrity1

daughrity1

• Members
  • 369 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN
Beeeee-utiful instrument!!!!! It appears to have been fairly well taken care of!!!!!

David

AaronLatos

AaronLatos

spang spang a lang

• Members
  • 3,235 posts
  • LocationNYC

Oh sure enough, it is 3 octaves and not 3 1/2. That old rosewood is amazing. The grain is so straight. I was told by Gilberto that Deagan used to not use 2/3 of the wood they got it. Then it was also aged for a few years before made into bars. I've also seen a picture of them x-raying the bars to check for internal problems. The good 'ol days!

Yeah, Deagan gear is where it's at! I've got a set of Deagan semi-graduated vibes that absolutely kick the pants off of my school's modern Musser and Yamaha wide bar aluminum vibes. They're not quite as loud, but the tone is sooo much nice... more articulation, more body.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users