• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

treviso

treviso

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
After having seen a few threads throughout the years on JR Baker's SoundSeat, I finally gave him a call and ordered one for myself. I have to say that I only wish I had discovered his beautiful thrones years ago. JR Baker is a seriously great guy, a real southern gentleman who is nothing short of a total pleasure to deal with. His personal attention to the customer throughout the order and the follow-up call to find out how you are liking your new throne is a real touch of class! I loved my new SoundSeat so much that I turned around and ordered a second one for my studio immediately. The quality the full leather (top, sides, underneath) and the comfort level is like nothing I have ever experienced. I ordered mine with a small lumbar support that just fits like a glove. For the quality that you get, these SoundSeats are an outright steal of a deal. He asked me to give him a few measurements so that he could ascertain what size and height would work best for me and it was at my door within a few days. He can do all sorts of custom work and lettered stitching if you desire as well. Seriously, if you haven't checked them out, do yourself a favor. It will be the best money you have ever spent regarding your tubs, playing, and shear comfort level while playing. I swear that I feel more balanced at the kit as well! Enjoy!

Coelacanth

Coelacanth

A Piper at the Gates of Dawn

• Members
  • 11,218 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada
I link, or at least some pics, would be helpful. :)

hefty

hefty

Advanced Forum Guru

• Gold
  • 1,881 posts
  • LocationSeattle
http://soundseat.com/

I'm hoping Santa brings me one of the retro-fit Soundseats.

atomicmorganic

atomicmorganic

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,035 posts

+1 :occasion5:

agogobil

agogobil

Drum Czardine

• Platinum
  • 5,263 posts
  • LocationStL

+1 :occasion5:

+2 :occasion5: :occasion5:

glassprison68

glassprison68

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Oh, man! The gas lifting looks like an awesome improvement over my spin spin spin spin spin spin spin spin.....spin spin.....ahhh there we go. ;)

onemat

onemat

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,959 posts
  • LocationNashville
These thrones were originally known as "The Soundseat Wide Ass", and then the name was shortened to Soundseat. I'm lucky enough to have two of these! One I purchased from JR and the second I won a few years later in a drawing on "Drumzilla's Lair" a good forum on Yahoo Groups.I had never won anything like that before to I was thrilled to win a second one. I have the stock base which is like an expensive office chair bottom, but you can order them to go on any standard folding base. I usually use our Scion Xb to move my gear around and the throne stands up in the cargo area. The Soundseat is very confortable. Sometimes I sit on the front portion of the seat, like I was taught to, but sometimes I like to sit back and lean on the (optional) backrest. This chair was great when I had a ruptured lower disc. I could play long gigs without pain. Of course it's not the only great throne, but the materials JR uses are tops and the leather is like butta!
Here's a picture where you can see it...
Posted Image

treviso

treviso

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
That is really true. His Thrones can equally match the beauty of a super fine set of drums. They are the perfect match up for a great set of drums. So many of us spend thousands of dollars on finding the ultimate set of drums and then we plop our rear ends down on a cheap throne that makes playing uncomfortable and something less than the amazing experience it should be. I just wish I had listened to a few friends of mine telling me about these thrones years ago. At any rate, do yourself a favor and give JR Baker a call. He is just an awesome dude!!!:-) He'll make your drumming experience better as well. I swear that I am playing better on this bad boy!

VirCotto

VirCotto

Forum Dork

• Members
  • 1,457 posts
  • LocationSouth Park, Tampere, Finland
Looks comfy indeed. What i´t doesn't look is giggable.
Seems you'd almost need another flight case for that...

Cheers,
Simo

Edited by VirCotto, 19 December 2009 - 09:41 AM.

Lee

Lee

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,536 posts
Looks very comfortable. The full leather top and sides wouldn't work for me though. Guess I'll have to stick with my Roc-N-Soc nitro throne.

Edited by Lee, 19 December 2009 - 09:46 AM.

skinsman

skinsman

The Beak

• Members
  • 3,717 posts
  • LocationEarth
I like the idea of a solid throne made for comfort. I think he may be on to something. I dont like the base though and I think I would use a different one that folds up.
But it sure makes great sense to be as comfortable as possible while givin'it hell!!

hefty

hefty

Advanced Forum Guru

• Gold
  • 1,881 posts
  • LocationSeattle
Agreed that the full ones with the base seem too big for gigging for me too, but the retro-fit one (just the top-- fits on standard throne bases) seems giggable. You could throw it on top of your bass drum in your bass drum case I think....

I'd still probably not gig mine (assuming Santa comes through!) since my gigs are of the 45-min variety. But I think I'll really like having one for practicing at home and for recording, or anything where I have to sit on a throne for more than an hour.

MonkeyGrass

MonkeyGrass

Keystone Addict

• Members
  • 1,983 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC (when I'm home!)

Looks very comfortable. The full leather top and sides wouldn't work for me though. Guess I'll have to stick with my Roc-N-Soc nitro throne.

Agreed, they look comfy and all, but I'm trying to figure out how or why this throne would be better than my R'n'S Nitro with backrest. The seat itself looks like exactly the same contour, and the gas cylinder base makes all the difference in the world by absorbing the impact and cushioning your tailbone. I *know* what leather/vinyl does after 3+ hrs of playing and sweating, and it's exactly what my velour R'n'S doesn't do - namely, turn my backside into a humid, disgusting swamp. I can't see wanting to plop my butt down on leather and play drums for 3-4 hrs straight. Ick.

Maybe if I didn't already have 2 nitro's? (I have 2 bad discs in my neck, so I'm pretty particular about thrones and posture - I need one for gigs and one for playing at home)

I'm sure this would be a nice upgrade for someone with a regular, round base vinyl job, but it's not screaming for me to rush out and replace my Nitro's with one.

Am I missing something?

Scottlogsdon

Scottlogsdon

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,232 posts

Agreed, they look comfy and all, but I'm trying to figure out how or why this throne would be better than my R'n'S Nitro with backrest. The seat itself looks like exactly the same contour, and the gas cylinder base makes all the difference in the world by absorbing the impact and cushioning your tailbone. I *know* what leather/vinyl does after 3+ hrs of playing and sweating, and it's exactly what my velour R'n'S doesn't do - namely, turn my backside into a humid, disgusting swamp. I can't see wanting to plop my butt down on leather and play drums for 3-4 hrs straight. Ick.

Maybe if I didn't already have 2 nitro's? (I have 2 bad discs in my neck, so I'm pretty particular about thrones and posture - I need one for gigs and one for playing at home)

I'm sure this would be a nice upgrade for someone with a regular, round base vinyl job, but it's not screaming for me to rush out and replace my Nitro's with one.

Am I missing something?

I have 2 of the retro fit seat tops. One of which is currently being used on my Roc-N-Soc base. The Roc N Soc is a fine throne. I used one for a long time, but in recent years I started having problems with my leg going numb mid-set or with back pain by the 3rd set. Using the Soundseat has eliminated both of these complaints. I don't know what the difference is but it cured me. Anecdotal evidence perhaps, but I'll never buy anything else for gigging. I just wish JR would offer a standard folding base.

onemat

onemat

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,959 posts
  • LocationNashville
I agree about the legs/base. I do gig with one, but I only play out locally and I have roomy vehicle. I think the secet of the comfort is the materials used, just seem to be a higher grade than some. Modern Drummer panned it, I suspect because of the base, but they never really said anything negative. The backrest is optional. Tne angle of the seat is adjustable.. The the front of the seat can be lowered or raised fom level to taylor how you like to sit. The lift is available in a longer version if you like to sit really high.
Matt

p83

p83

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,422 posts
  • Locationtacoma,wa,usa
if you sit on leather/vinyl instead of cloth, you get sweaty drummer butt everytime. long live roc-n-soc!

Lee

Lee

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,536 posts

Am I missing something?

I have 2 of the retro fit seat tops. One of which is currently being used on my Roc-N-Soc base. The Roc N Soc is a fine throne. I used one for a long time, but in recent years I started having problems with my leg going numb mid-set or with back pain by the 3rd set. Using the Soundseat has eliminated both of these complaints. I don't know what the difference is but it cured me. Anecdotal evidence perhaps, but I'll never buy anything else for gigging. I just wish JR would offer a standard folding base.

Wow, Rev. I've not had an issue with the compression of blood flow/nerve bundles or back issues. I can see that happening if the stitching seam is in a position not good for a particular person. The leather thing is what would get me. To quote from a previous member: "ick".

onemat

onemat

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,959 posts
  • LocationNashville
I've used my Soundseat outside in 100+ degree heat and not sweated as some have described. We are talking an extremely high quality leather and for some reaon it does not cause me to sweat. One thing that is a plus that I forgot to say earlier is with the standard base the throne is rock solid. I'm not saying it's the best seat or better then seat A or seat B, but it is a throne worth checking one out. See it during NAMM or at other drum shows.
Matt

Edited by onemat, 20 December 2009 - 03:49 PM.

treviso

treviso

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Funny because I am a serious sweater (I seriously drip sweat when I play) and I haven't noticed the sweaty funk in the trunk either. For some reason, I think that this super premium high quality leather breaths better than synthetic materials, including the velour, and my butt doesn't sweat on this throne. I have been using Roc-n-Socs for nearly 20 years and sure as heck, my rear end is soaked every time I gig. I have been totally dry with my SoundSeat throne. I love it:-) Anyway, just my 2 cents...

agogobil

agogobil

Drum Czardine

• Platinum
  • 5,263 posts
  • LocationStL
Sweating isn't an issue ... I haven't noticed it being any different than the Roc n Soc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users