• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

TomN

TomN

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,719 posts
  • LocationWilmington, DE
I got my first drum set in the summer of '68 when I was 13. A five-piece Sears blue sparkle set ordered from the catalog. $229. I had to pay half with earnings from my paper route and my parents paid the other half. Standard sizes except for the floor tom: 8x12, 9x13, 15x16, 14x22, and 5.5x14 steel snare. I never noticed that the floor was one inch shorter than usual until I recovered the set.

The drums, hoops, lugs, and tension rods were good. Some other hardware was not so good. A few things failed in the first two-three years so I had to jury-rig fixes. The bass pedal was smooth and fast but the threads in the heel wore out where the bottom bracket attached. Some welds failed in the throne--had to be one of the cheapest thrones ever made.

In the early 70s, I replaced all the tom/floor tom brackets with Ludwigs since the hole spacing was the same. I also replaced the rail mounted double tom holder with a Ludwig--had to drill for that.

In the late 80s, I got tired of the "old school" look of the blue sparkle so, like a dope, I recovered the drums with gloss black wrap from Sam Barnard. I also sprayed the interiors of the shells with dark brown enamel.

I replaced the club-date style spurs with the modern Ludwig and the metal bass drum hoops with wood hoops in the early 90s.

This has been the perfect set to leave at different houses over the years for band practices. Now I find myself wanting to use the set for gigs because they're so low-end, they're cool.

The photos below show the drums and original hardware pieces. For some crazy reason, I still have all the pieces. A few things to take note of:

--super lightweight (i.e., super chintzy) flat-based cymbal stands

--the "Speed Pedal" high hat--still works great, has the cool hinge between the top and bottom rod so you can fold the high hat for gigs

--the "Speed Pedal" bass drum pedal

--the unusual (?) rail-mounted double tom holder

--the ride tom brackets were tightened with a drum key, chrome still looks great

--shells are on the thick side with so-so/rough bearing edges, no rerings

--bass drum lugs take the slightly larger 6 mm tension rods

--several of the bass pedal pieces are stamped "Pearl Drum Co."--see the photos

--I usually have a white head on the bass drum but have a clear one on at the moment

I hope you get a kick out of seeing this stuff--probably more than you ever wanted to know. Even though I have better drum sets, I have a soft spot for these and they sound pretty good.

And for you guys whose parents bought you Rogers, Ludwig, Slingerland, or Gretsch for your first drum set...(expletives deleted.) :-D

Have a good 2010.

Tom N

Click on the thumbnails for full size images:

Edited by TomN, 04 January 2010 - 01:38 AM.

Drumstyx7a

Drumstyx7a

Team DFO

• Members
  • 10,849 posts
  • LocationGreenville, Texas, United States
I like it ... chrome seems to be in excellent shape ...just got finished bringing back some old Pearl lugs and FT legs and holders that look a lot like those ... in design anyway, never will get them to look that clean though.

Robb

Purdie Shuffle

Purdie Shuffle

Quizat Haderach

• Banned
  • 3,550 posts
  • LocationReading, PA

I like it ...

Me too! Tom, is it possible that Sears contracted Pearl to put together those low-end kits? Do you know who was building for Sears back then?

mtarrani

mtarrani

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 7,371 posts
  • LocationDeltona, FL & Jacksonville, FL
There used to be a web site run by a collector that apparently has gone dark. Here is a page to start with: http://www.vintagedr...rums/index.html

Also,

From the Pearl website: "Pearl started building drums in 1950 and in 1961 built a 15,000 sq. foot factory in Chiba, Japan to fill the worldwide demand for drum sets spurred by the popularity of Rock and Roll. These sets were inexpensive and bore the brand name of the distributor; such as Maxwin, CB-700, Crest, Revelle, Revere, Lyra, Majestic, Whitehall, Apollo, Toreador, Roxy, Coronet, and others...over 30 brands in all." Tama, known as Star and Hoshino back then, also followed suit. These drum sets were sold by the American department stores like Sears and Montgomery Ward and music distributors like St. Louis Music and C Bruno and Sons who imported them as "stencil sets", thus many of the models were sold under many different names or badges; Please join the forums, read the FAQ, and explore the catalogs and other research aids on this site before asking questions in the forum or emailing.

marko52

marko52

Piper At the Gates of Dawn

• Members
  • 4,691 posts
  • Locationquimper peninsula
Way before I ever got my hands on a real Ludwig catalog, I'd pore over the Sears & MW catalogs, looking at drum sets. My best buddy got a Sears Silvertone electric guitar with the amp built in to the guitar case. I had my heart set on a blue sparkle set like yours, but ended up with a used red sparkle Lyra 4-piece instead. Lucky you! ( actually, at 57 years old, I can still tell you which kids in town had 'real' sets, what brand, what color, what cymbals; but....I got 'em beat now!)
Yours look great! Cool that you kept them, & still play them. The black wrap's fine. Classy. nice post....marko

EvEnStEvEn

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~

• Members
  • 12,968 posts
  • LocationRed River
Cool, Tom.

My very first HH stand was like yours as shown.
"Speed Pedal" with the black rubber insert.
Always wondered who made it, I used that thing for several years.

mikesdrums

mikesdrums

Music Hobbyist

• Members
  • 1,174 posts
  • LocationDallas
Very cool. I wanted one of those Sears (or Penney's) kits so bad, but couldn't afford even that. I started with a $20 three-piece set from a garage sale. Loved it, too.

BTW, adjusting for inflation, $229 in 1968 is the equivalent of $1,423.55 in 2009 dollars. Pretty amazing how the price of entry has dropped.

rivercityslim

rivercityslim

• Members
  • 461 posts
  • LocationNew Hartford CT
My first kit was from the Sears catalog as well, but in 1972. It was silver sparkle, and looked a lot like your pics. Paid approximately the same price, too.

mlayton

mlayton

Team Dfo

• Administrators
  • 26,044 posts
i think its great that you still own them and enjoy them tom. nothing like some fond memories of our youth. :icon_smile: i like 'em!

mike

Casper

Casper

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 778 posts
  • LocationMcKinney, TX
Cool kit. Thanks for sharing. It's amazing how the chrome has held up on some of the old 60's "stencil kits." I've seen some that look equally good. I like your upgrades. Great that you're still playing them out too.

BeaTniK

BeaTniK

Johnson

• Members
  • 2,758 posts
  • LocationMoved on
I had a blue sparkle Sears kit myself. :occasion5: Here's a 1971 catalog page:

BeaTniK

BeaTniK

Johnson

• Members
  • 2,758 posts
  • LocationMoved on
1966 and 69

mwb5271

mwb5271

• Members
  • 381 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI
Great story and pictures. I too purchased my first kit from Sears catalog in 1966. I also used my paper route earnings to purchase them. See my avaitar. Mine are blue sparkle as well. Mine are a little different from yours, the hardware was not marked by Pearl just "Made in Japan". I believe that Sears and the other catalog companys purchased these kits from many of the 150 or so Japanese companies making these drums. I too got stupid and painted the interior of the shells (flat black) and used them without the bottom heads. I did leave the blue sparkle finish alone and they have not faded and cleaned up very nice. I have since painted the interior of the shells white to get rid of that awfaul flat black. They sound pretty good and like you I have a special bond and fondness for them. I will always own them. Thanks for sharing.

mwb5271

mwb5271

• Members
  • 381 posts

1966 and 69

My Sears kit looks very much like the blue sparkle kit pictured here.

TomN

TomN

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,719 posts
  • LocationWilmington, DE
Many thanks for the comments, guys.

I forgot to add that the drum set also came with cymbals which I still have also.

Thinking back on why I recovered the drum--its was probably because I had holes showing from where the rail mount was. I also had my black Rogers set and found that I loved gloss black drums which look great behind the chrome hw. Since I had already made a few alterations, it was an easy decision but it would have been nice if I had just left everything alone.

Pardy, from things I've read over the years, I'm pretty sure that Pearl made my drum set. My brother had a '66 Sears set and his came with a Pearl drum key.

Thanks for the catalog pages, Beatnik. My brother had a '66 four-piece Sears red sparkle set that cost about $175-199 that looked different from the one in your '66 page. His set looked just like MWB's set (above.) I'm guessing that that set was on another page.

MWB, your drums look great--just like my brother's set, with the ride cymbal mounted on the bass drum. Very cool that you still have them and that they haven't been messed with. Pictures, pictures!

Thanks again, all. Have a great day.

Tom N

bzzfkt

bzzfkt

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,318 posts
  • LocationIndy west
i dig the lugs alot....pretty classy looking

jrfrond

jrfrond

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 5,533 posts
  • LocationOceanside, New York
What many people do not know is that Pearl Musical Instruments, Hoshino Gakki (Tama) and Nippon Gakki (Yamaha) were the de facto suppliers of stencil-brand Asian Firewood kits to the USA long before they became A-game players. In fact, if you trace any of them back, you will find transition-type kits that sport decent drums and crappy, utilitarian hardware. Of course, all three of these companies are now, ironically, hardware giants. My early-mid 70's Yamaha kit is a perfect example of this. The shell composition was nearly identical to the 8000 series which debuted about five years later (birch/lauan, called "Philipine Mahogany" by Yamaha), with grey interiors, taillight lugs and "Y" badges and nice plating all-around. SUPER kit, albeit in a weird configuration (20/12/12/16).

Edited by jrfrond, 04 January 2010 - 12:49 PM.

Patrick

Patrick

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,014 posts
Hi,

Those are very familiar to me. My first kit was a red sparkle four piece (with cymbals, no stool) from the 1968 (I think) Simpson Sears catalog. I vividly recall those bolts on the bases of the stands, the pedals in all their glory.

We had a house gig at a dance hall. The hall burnt down. My drums came out of it water damaged and charred, but still playable.

I loved playing them, but was eager to move to a set of Ludwigs as soon as possible. So they never got the same level of regard and affection as have yours.

Great story,

Patrick

tillerva

tillerva

Forum Guru...yeh right :p

• Members
  • 3,146 posts
Very cool. My first set was from JC Penney, a mere 20 years ago; Synsonics for close to the same price ($250 maybe).

mwb5271

mwb5271

• Members
  • 381 posts

Many thanks for the comments, guys.

I forgot to add that the drum set also came with cymbals which I still have also.

Thinking back on why I recovered the drum--its was probably because I had holes showing from where the rail mount was. I also had my black Rogers set and found that I loved gloss black drums which look great behind the chrome hw. Since I had already made a few alterations, it was an easy decision but it would have been nice if I had just left everything alone.

Pardy, from things I've read over the years, I'm pretty sure that Pearl made my drum set. My brother had a '66 Sears set and his came with a Pearl drum key.

Thanks for the catalog pages, Beatnik. My brother had a '66 four-piece Sears red sparkle set that cost about $175-199 that looked different from the one in your '66 page. His set looked just like MWB's set (above.) I'm guessing that that set was on another page.

MWB, your drums look great--just like my brother's set, with the ride cymbal mounted on the bass drum. Very cool that you still have them and that they haven't been messed with. Pictures, pictures!

Thanks again, all. Have a great day.

Tom N

Tom N, I will post a few pics when I some time at home. I have previously posted a few but I cannot find that post right now. It may be too old and archived?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users