• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

jrfrond

jrfrond

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 5,533 posts
  • LocationOceanside, New York
OK, here's some Asian Firewood trivia. My photographic memory is screaming on this one:

I remember being around 9 years old (so it was around '68-'69) and pining for the kit pictured in the Montgomery-Ward catalog. It was a blue Satin Flame 5pc. with offset sharktooth lugs and swan leg stands. I remember it VERY clearly. Does anyone else ever remember seeing this? It almost looked like the bastard child of Sonor and Rogers! :blink:

Purdie Shuffle

Purdie Shuffle

Quizat Haderach

• Banned
  • 3,550 posts
  • LocationReading, PA

OK, here's some Asian Firewood trivia. My photographic memory is screaming on this one:

I remember being around 9 years old (so it was around '68-'69) and pining for the kit pictured in the Montgomery-Ward catalog. It was a blue Satin Flame 5pc. with offset sharktooth lugs and swan leg stands. I remember it VERY clearly. Does anyone else ever remember seeing this? It almost looked like the bastard child of Sonor and Rogers! :blink:

JR, it 'could have been' a low end Miazzi kit. Not sure if I spelled that correctly. They were an Italian drum company that marketed a kit called, the Hollywood, or something like that. They came in satin flame finishes. Not sure if they sold through Montgomer-Ward though. But they could be Miazzi's! (see photo)

*JR - check your pm's

Edited by Purdy Shuffle, 04 January 2010 - 05:33 PM.

hutdoug

hutdoug

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,411 posts
  • LocationHartford City, Indiana

That was my second set. I got it in '70 or '71. It was the same as Apollo. My first kit was the Remco Liverpool Compact, Christmas '66.

Ludwig Von Buzzthoven

Ludwig Von Buzzthoven

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,698 posts
  • LocationMiddle of America
Is it just me, or does anyone else miss getting a Sears-Roebuck catalog in the mail?

Buzz

Purdie Shuffle

Purdie Shuffle

Quizat Haderach

• Banned
  • 3,550 posts
  • LocationReading, PA

That was my second set. I got it in '70 or '71. It was the same as Apollo. My first kit was the Remco Liverpool Compact, Christmas '66.

I like the staggered lugs! Cool, very cool...

FloydZKing

FloydZKing

Snice 1965

• Members
  • 5,661 posts
Very cool that you still have your first set. My first non-toy drumset was also from the Christmas catalogue (that's how 'catalogue' was spelled in America back then BTW), a Dixie in blue sparkle.

I don't remember that particular shot JR, but I do know those Sonor-copy drums. Like you said, late 60s/early 70s version, seen them as Revere, Majestic etc. I wouldn't mind one of these times slipping a set of Keller shells under one of those sets. The wraps would probably pop-off cleanly enough to re-use them and the lugs weren't bad. New hoops and heads, maybe new swivel nuts and rods . . . hmmm.

BTW guys, old Christmas catalogues are still around on ebay for $10 or so, a true bargain for nostalgia tripping. I used to stare holes in those pixilated pics as a kid, the drum section and the slotcar section. I guess I haven't changed much in that regard. :)

mlayton

mlayton

Team Dfo

• Administrators
  • 25,869 posts

Very cool that you still have your first set. My first non-toy drumset was also from the Christmas catalogue (that's how 'catalogue' was spelled in America back then BTW), a Dixie in blue sparkle.

I don't remember that particular shot JR, but I do know those Sonor-copy drums. Like you said, late 60s/early 70s version, seen them as Revere, Majestic etc. I wouldn't mind one of these times slipping a set of Keller shells under one of those sets. The wraps would probably pop-off cleanly enough to re-use them and the lugs weren't bad. New hoops and heads, maybe new swivel nuts and rods . . . hmmm.

BTW guys, old Christmas catalogues are still around on ebay for $10 or so, a true bargain for nostalgia tripping. I used to stare holes in those pixilated pics as a kid, the drum section and the slotcar section. I guess I haven't changed much in that regard. :)

there was a dixie snare in sky blue pearl for sale on ebay in the last 6 months or so. it was beatiful. as usual, i jacked around and let it get gone cheaply... :sad:

mike

K.O.

K.O.

DFO Drum Lord

• Members
  • 14,291 posts
  • LocationIllinois
I remember looking longingly at those drums in the Sears and Penney's catalogs back in 1970 thru 1972 or 3. Also Bennett's Blue Book and Montgomery Wards. I could barely play my snare drum but I wanted a full drum set so badly...primarily due to the Partridge Family TV show (and maybe a bit because of the Banana Splits, the Monkees, and the Beatles cartoons). Of course I had no idea if those drums were good or bad (relatively speaking) compared to any others (like my old WFL snare drum I felt saddled with) but I knew that they were almost within reach of my meager resources. When I started seventh grade I fully transformed into a band/drum geek...and I also found a 1971 Ludwig catalog in the band director's office. He'd let me borrow it and take it to the school library to oogle. That was it, I would no longer even consider any other brand...I was holding out for Ludwig...and a few months later I got some gold sparkle club dates (20" & 13") for $150 off a high school freshman who had just bought a new Slingerland set, and the rest, as they say, is history (although not terribly important history).

I was kind of keeping my eyes peeled for one of these stencil sets ever since passing up on a really cool set at a local music store. It was a tiger stripe sort of wrap, yellow/gold with random black stripes running around the drums. It had the sharktooth style lugs too. It was $350 and looked so cool but I talked myself out of it. A few weeks later I saw a local group playing a sort of lounge music hybrid at the local Borders book store and the drummer had that set. They looked so cool and sounded great. I was suddenly sooo jealous and regretted passing on them. I kicked myself for quite a while over that. However my Standard set in lemon strata now ably fills that void. Still there are some mighty cool looking "non-brand name" drums out there from the 60's and 70's.

jrfrond

jrfrond

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 5,533 posts
  • LocationOceanside, New York

THAT'S IT!!!!!

Thank you. NOW I can sleep tonight! :lol:

drummer5359

drummer5359

Advanced Snr. Member

• Platinum
  • 982 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Wow.

I just had a flashback to the seventies. My first kit was a used (and beat to death) "Del-Ray" blue sparkle stencil kit. Mine was 20" bass, 12", 13", 14", with a matching wood snare. The hardware was identicle to yours.

By the time I bought them in the 70s with my own money ($35) all of the resonant heads, and the tension rods and rims to mount them were missing. It didn't matter, I had a drum set! I bought Remo heads, Slingerland stands and Zildjian "A" cymbals. I thought my kit rocked. When I finally got a set of Slingerlands, I gave the kit to my best friend.
Thanks for the flashback.

-Mike

Scottlogsdon

Scottlogsdon

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,232 posts

A friend had one in 1969-70. It seems to me the Sonor lugged copy kits were Hoshino (Apollo badges). As I remember, their quality was just a tad better than the Pearl-made stencil kits of the same era. Ditto for the Swan leg stands. I don't blame them. Those were classic designs even then. Why reinvent the wheel?

franke

franke

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 5,328 posts
Hey, Tom N. Great restoration job on your Japanese stencil kit. Also, thanks to BeaTniK for posting the pages out of the '68 Sears catalog.

By the way, accoridng to http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/ that $126.85 kit would cost $788.55 today. When you consider what you can get today for $700 and change, one cannot help but wonder what an oustanding value that is available today when compared to the past.

Big Beat

Big Beat

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,335 posts
  • LocationNYC
JR,
Those drums were made by Hoshino (Tama) and are most commonly found branded either Apollo or Majestic, as well as many other stencil brands. Made c. 1967 - 1970 or so. 9-ply luan shells with silver painted interiors and offset Sonor-style lugs. I have a set of these branded Mica-Sonic that I posted about before.

buddman1955

buddman1955

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 790 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey
Hi Tom, Met you at the show yesterday. Found your post here and wanted to check out those Sears drums you told me about.
I don't even remember what my first set was (Name) I do know I had a black painted 9x13 Radio King rack tom with it. But soon
after i saved a little money from playing (couple years) I bought a Champagne Sparkle Kent set. 14x22 9x13 and 5x14 snare.
That would have been around 1960-1961.

TomN

TomN

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,719 posts
  • LocationWilmington, DE
Hey Bud, it was great talking to you yesterday.

I couldn't put my hands on a color photo of the set before I rewrapped it but here's one of me on the Sears set from around 1971 or 1972 that a DFO'er (Drumphixer) colorized in a previous thread. (Note the weird tom placements and the old throw-off sizzlers on the far cymbal.)

I checked out your two-piece band on Youtube and I thought you guys were really good. I tried to leave a comment but I got an error (?) from Youtube.

4164SB

4164SB

Percussionist Maximus

• Banned
  • 5,125 posts
  • LocationCity Of Chickens
My folks got me a Stewart from Sears in 1964. I wish they had gotten me one of these!

eddiej

eddiej

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,351 posts
  • LocationLower Makefield, PA

I had a blue sparkle Sears kit myself. :occasion5: Here's a 1971 catalog page:

That takes me back.

I got a 4 piece Sears kit in 1971. 20", 12", 14", 5"x14" snare. Blue sparkle, and all the drums were six luggers. Hardware was nearly identical to yours, right down to the "Speed Pedal" except that my tom mount was a consolette with a clip mount for the tom. Your lugs looked different I added a 13" rack tom two years later. Replaced the tom mount with a Ludwig double tom mount as the original kept failing. I actually recovered mine twice. The first time it was with purple vinyl that my dad got me from where he worked. I got sick of that and replaced it with shiny black contact paper. It looked cool but these kits had very little long term durability. The lugs stripped, the snare strainer broke, the hihat shaft stripped. My dad helped me repair it on multiple occasions. He was probably glad to see me get a 'real' (and American made) kit in '76.

Chicagoish

Chicagoish

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,473 posts
  • LocationBethlehem, PA
This is a great thread! What a blast from the Past. Those old pics are so cool, especially the one with the Monkees LP and the old toys.

My fist kit was an early 70s Pearl Red Sparkle, with the Rogers Swivo type tom holders. I got a pix somewhere and I'll try and dig it out.

JOE COOL

JOE COOL

Forum Guru

• Platinum
  • 1,357 posts
  • LocationNYC
my first drum was from sears.
1965 red sparkle snare drum with gold hardware.might have been plasticware.
i remember getting the sears catalog before every christmas,and going right to the drum page.
the lafayette electronics catalogs,also had a musical instruments section.

eddiej

eddiej

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,351 posts
  • LocationLower Makefield, PA

my first drum was from sears.
1965 red sparkle snare drum with gold hardware.might have been plasticware.
i remember getting the sears catalog before every christmas,and going right to the drum page.
the lafayette electronics catalogs,also had a musical instruments section.

I used to get the Sears catalog and went right to the drum pages, too.

Lafayette Electronics, now that brings back memories. I worked in one of their stores part time, 1978-80. They filed for chapter 11 bankruptcy in '80. I remember their catalogs having amps, guitars, and basses, but I don't recall any of their catalogs having drums.

Edited by eddiej, 21 February 2011 - 10:07 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users