- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

maslo

maslo

• Members
  • 1 posts
Hi,
I'm Maslo from Poland. I'm new here so I want to say "hello" to everybody :) I'm actually using Tama Rockstar DX but I prefer more vintage sound ;)
When I was looking for "new" drums I found that http://www.drumshop....-1979-jazz.html Honestly I don't know a lot about old Rogers series.I found that Londoner was the highest Rogers series in 70', but could you tell me something more about this kit? First of all, is it real Londoner series? How much is this kit worth in US/UK?
Oh, sorry for my English but I wasn't using for ages :)

amosguy

amosguy

DFO Potentate

• Platinum
  • 3,035 posts
  • LocationRedmond, WA
Welcome to the forum.

The link is no working. First you need to check that any 70'S Big R foil badges say USA on them. Rogers name was put on Yamaha shells at times for entry level sets (R-360, R-380 badges). Also some were made from Taiwan shells in early 80's with same looking hardware, but the badge did not say USA on them - JUNK.

Londoner refers to a model configuration, not quality of the drums themselves. Real USA Rogers drums had the same shells usually. You could pick up a decent set (without hardware) in US for $500-800 depending on number of drums and model of snare.

nonagon

nonagon

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 828 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA
Welcome Maslo! amosguy, the full link is http://www.drumshop....-1979-jazz.html - looks like the commas threw it off.

DanC

DanC

Lord Vader, the drums are aboard and your cruiser awaits.

• Members
  • 11,501 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Florida, behind a Rogers kit
Looks like a USA kit.

Also, it has a 20" bassdrum, pretty rare in Memriloc/Big R drums.

How much is it in US dollars?

Edited by DanC, 21 January 2010 - 02:12 AM.

Pounder

Pounder

A Piper at the Gates of Dawn

• Members
  • 10,319 posts
  • LocationNorman, OK
Dan asks more questions about them.. Is it true, Dan, that the Londoner designates a standard 5-piece set? Looks like mid-70s to early 80s to me. Are those Maple interior-shells? XP-8

joebxr

joebxr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Approx $970 USD

K.O.

K.O.

DFO Drum Lord

• Members
  • 14,271 posts
  • LocationIllinois
It looks to me like it may be a "Headliner Four" since the sizes match. The "Londoner" was either a 5 piece or 6 Piece set but with a 22" bass drum.

As Amosguy pointed out the name Londoner just refers to the set configuration...the drums were all the same quality.

Rogersoholic

Rogersoholic

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,710 posts
  • LocationDrumFox.com
K.O. I think is right as to what is being sold. However when the original Londoner was issued, it had a 20" bass and wooden powertone snare as shown on page 13 of the 67/68 catalog. http://www.cyberform...Rogers 1967.pdf . I think that set is valued at only 500US without the snare. Maybe a cupla hundred more over there. An earlier issued Londoner is worth more IMHO than later ones of the 70's and early 80's. The standard Londoner bass by then was 22".

Edited by Rogersoholic, 20 January 2010 - 09:48 PM.

DanC

DanC

Lord Vader, the drums are aboard and your cruiser awaits.

• Members
  • 11,501 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Florida, behind a Rogers kit
Mostly correct info in the posts above. A Londoner was any set with 2 mounted toms after 1966 - not a double bass kit however. Before that it was called the Top Hat.

And the Headliner was indeed a kit with only one tom on top. In the 60's and into the 70's, before the intro of Memriloc hardware, there was also the Celebrity, Constellation, Swingtime, Citation, Starlighter, all with one tom on the bass. Each of these varied in the location of the tom mount and the number and placement of cymbal mounts on the bass. They varied also in the size of the bass and the toms, but in truth, you could order them in whatever sizes you wanted and retain the layout on the bass as pictured.

Most of these were associated with a particular endorser.

There were some others along the way, but starting in the '67 catalog the models began being reduced.

Edited by DanC, 21 January 2010 - 02:13 AM.

tommykat1

tommykat1

Percussionist Maximus

• Double Platinum
  • 6,752 posts
  • LocationOregon
Addendum: when the Big R drums came out in the mid 70s, the Londoner 5 referred to a set with two mounted toms, floor tom bass, and, of course, snare, totaling five drums.

The Londoner 7 of the era had 2 sets of double toms mounted on separate stands, floor tom, bass, snare and a cymbal stand mounted on the bass where the tom support would be on the Londoner 5.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users