• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

LizH

LizH

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 4,151 posts
  • Locationusa
Did anyone end up buying one of the Epic X Over striped Jazzette kits? That's still on the list of kits I'd like to have, curious if the walnut has a good sonic effect on the drums. If you bought one, post some pics and tell us about it!

Posted Image

Aqualung

Aqualung

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,349 posts
If you check out Jason Sutter on drumchannel.com you can hear some good audio of them. Sound fantastic. Tapped a tom at NAMM and definitely had that fuzzy feeling in my nether regions. Rich and warm. After all, they ARE 3 ply shells.

studrum

studrum

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 974 posts
Liz,
I saw Yoron Israel totally jazzing out on one of these at PASIC this year, playing in a duet w/the malletist Jay Hoggard on a big stage. I was close enough to hear the miked and unmiked sound. They sounded incredible, open and big, and I don't even like the looks of them. Talked to Yoron, a happy guy on a lot of records who I believe teaches at Berklee, and he told me he didn't even know Ludwig still made drums (!) and endorses another company, but he was impressed by them.

DanRH

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger

• Platinum
  • 15,356 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area
That is one nice kit. I'd love to have one... :drunken:

5 Style

5 Style

Percussionist Maximus

• Gold
  • 6,477 posts
  • LocationSE Portland, Oregon
I'm not crazy about the looks of that kit... the stripes and all. Still, I'd love to have a high end Ludwig jazz kit... as much as a Gretsch or anything else really.

chicagojzz

chicagojzz

• Silver
  • 448 posts
  • LocationChicago
LIke the idea of them, but can't get past the two-tone Wild West look.

john14

john14

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • Locationnorth of T0
Shane of the Drumcenter Nh had/has one listed on his e-bay store and he has written a great review on it "His take on it"
I think the kit is going for a little over $1200... I personally don't like the bass drum riser thing... I keep my 18 on the floor... saw an ad with Jason Sutter's kit - more like Bobham sizes - the striped pattern looked great on it! Great for Ludwig to be offering this segmented shell concept! Innovative!

lossforgain

lossforgain

Team DFO

• Moderators
  • 10,106 posts
  • LocationLancaster, PA

After all, they ARE 3 ply shells.

Sorry, nope. I thought that too. Later found out that the poplar "core" was more than one ply, I think it's three. So that makes them 5ply shells plus rings.

blueshadow

blueshadow

Drummer Excelsior

• Gold
  • 8,342 posts
  • LocationSouth of Austin, Texas
I could see them selling lots of them in glitter finishes...

mtarrani

mtarrani

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 7,368 posts
  • LocationDeltona, FL & Jacksonville, FL
I obviously like the finish - I had this snare drum custom built for me 4 or so years ago:
Posted Image

Aqualung

Aqualung

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,349 posts

After all, they ARE 3 ply shells.

Sorry, nope. I thought that too. Later found out that the poplar "core" was more than one ply, I think it's three. So that makes them 5ply shells plus rings.

Really?

Damn...

That's still pretty cool. Do you know how many mm they are?

blueshadow

blueshadow

Drummer Excelsior

• Gold
  • 8,342 posts
  • LocationSouth of Austin, Texas
Some folks will remember this lovely snare that Tom Wells passed around a few years ago...sure wish I could have bought it. THis is what I thought of first time I saw the Ludwig kit.

Edited by blueshadow, 22 January 2010 - 11:43 PM.

dave drew

dave drew

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 681 posts
  • Locationwoonsocket .r.i. 401 769 3552
the drums are incredible!!!!!!!!!!!!

we have afew sets in stock at the store when you just tap them they sing sound great -- put it this way . they sound like a drum should sound - the bass drums are full deep and very bottom -- we have the 20'' and 22'' set alwasy in stock and sell loads for them

dave drew

aldrewmusic@aol.com

dave drew

dave drew

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 681 posts

we have afew sets in stock at the store when you just tap them they sing sound great -- put it this way . they sound like a drum should sound - the bass drums are full deep and very bottom -- we have the 20'' and 22'' set alwasy in stock and sell loads for them

dave drew

aldrewmusic@aol.com

dave drew

dave drew

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 681 posts

dave drew

aldrewmusic@aol.com

mtarrani

mtarrani

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 7,368 posts
  • LocationDeltona, FL & Jacksonville, FL
Apparently they make a 22x14, 13x9, 16x16 kit that I am considering. I typically play 20/12/14 or 18/12/14 and also have a 24/13/16 DW kit, so a 22/13/16 may be a real treat.

dave drew

dave drew

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 681 posts
mike we got them !!

call you local ludwig dealer first ! if they cannot help you give me a call in rhode island 401 769 3552

thanks dave dew

Luddite

Luddite

Mostly intentional comic relief

• Gold
  • 9,145 posts
  • LocationThe Great Black Swamp
I like the X-Overs. What I would really like to see is the 14/16/18/26 X-Over kit that was on the inside cover of MD last month that Jason Sutter uses made available. Now THAT would be cool!

lossforgain

lossforgain

Team DFO

• Moderators
  • 10,106 posts
  • LocationLancaster, PA
I've thought seriously about buying some of these. I suspect that they will sound best in the smaller sizes, but I'd really like a 22/12/14ft/16ft. Can't get it because that's not any of the preset configurations.

And it would be in place of a Legacy kit -- much less dollars for me (and for Ludwig though). They aren't doing a natural finish Legacy and this might be as close as I can get.

RickP

RickP

Dan RH Jr.

• Gold
  • 6,575 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

mike we got them !!

call you local ludwig dealer first ! if they cannot help you give me a call in rhode island 401 769 3552

thanks dave dew

Mike,
I saw one of these kits at Dave's shop and they are truly fantastic looking and sounding drums and Dave is a great guy as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users