• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

nad_reese

nad_reese

Drum Czar

• Platinum
  • 2,282 posts
  • LocationCowtown, O-High-O
I am interested in checking out Wuhan cymbals . . . I have a couple of their chinas and in my opinion they are great . . . as far as china cymbals go I feel they are the "real deal" . . . but please, let's not go there . . . I didn't post this to debate who makes the best china-type . . . I am talking about their standard cymbals . . . who owns them and uses (or doesn't use them) and what do you think of them . . . any favorites??
THANKS . . . NAD
B)

Chunchunchun

Chunchunchun

Young Whippersnapper

• Members
  • 2,252 posts
  • LocationGloucestershire, UK
I haven't personally used them, but I think most people would discourage their use. Their chinas are good for their extremely cheap and trashy sound. This is some peoples' cup of tea for splashes as well, but I think most people would find them too cheap and trashy sounding for the rest of the kit, and they have serious durability issues.

Harris K.

Harris K.

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,742 posts
  • LocationAthens, Greece
One of best crashes I've played lately was an 18'' Wuhan that the rehearsal studio had. Kind of dark and with a very unique sound. Great wash with mallets too. Eventually it broke of course, as most cymbals do at a rehearsal studio that works 18 hours a day...
Unfortunately I don't remember the series, but I can ask.

I guess that, as is the norm with most cymbals in this category, Wuhans are another hit or miss case.

Edited by Harris K., 30 January 2010 - 04:24 PM.

Coelacanth

Coelacanth

A Piper at the Gates of Dawn

• Members
  • 11,218 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada
Other than test-tapping some Wuhan Chinas at the local drum store that didn't really inspire me much, I took the Wuhan Plunge and scored a 12" mini China, dw grabber arm & Gibraltar dog-bone for $27 or something. I know a lot of people here say that they love their Wuhans for special effects, but I was a bit disappointed in mine. It wasn't what I was hoping it would be, which pretty much sums up the hit-or-miss nature of Wuhans. The Saludas I've owned appealed to me more, but it's hit-or-miss with Saluda, too. Maybe I just got lucky with those...

Edited by Coelacanth, 30 January 2010 - 05:10 PM.

Bluesman

Bluesman

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,093 posts
I own some Wuhan traditional cymbals -
18" crash/ride
16" thin crash
14" crash
As far as Chinese cymbals go - I'd say they're definitely a few notches above anything currently available in this price range. Not the best cymbals money can buy - but certainly by far not the worst.

kplante

kplante

• Members
  • 479 posts
  • LocationCumberland, RI
The only experience I have with wuhan is with a couple of China's. I had a 12 and 20. Both sounded good but didn't fit what I needed. From what I've heard from many is that hand made cymbals, like Wuhan, should be tested and purchased in person. I've read there is a lot of variation in their lines. Doesn't mean they're bad, You just need to find the sound that works for you. I would not buy them or several other Chinese brands w'o being able to play them. I just found out a local place is going to start stocking Dream so I'm going to get to try some of those finally!

BoxMonster13

BoxMonster13

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,518 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO
I had an S-series crash for a while. It was trashy and really heavy. You had to really smack it to make it open up. I never liked it, but the chinas are great and cheap too.

EvEnStEvEn

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~

• Members
  • 12,773 posts
  • LocationRed River
Handmade cymbals & gongs have been produced in the Wuhan region of China for hundreds of years.
They can cheaply fashion bronze implements by the boatload and export them worldwide.
The sound quality will vary widely and many are downright crude but they're all individually unique and that's their charm.
I've had several keepers from the S and Western series which have always been among the most interesting sounds at the inexpensive cymbal pricepoint.

Wuhan S splashes are the shizzle!

petercool

petercool

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,106 posts
  • LocationPattaya, Thailand

Handmade cymbals & gongs have been produced in the Wuhan region of China for hundreds of years.

Indeed. The only "China" cymbal I ever owned was a 19" stamped "made in Wuhan" (and not the brand Wuhan) and it was really one of a pair that have a high "bell" that is meant as a handle for hand clashing at temples or for Chinese music. The hole in the "bell" was meant for a strap for the hand. With 2 rivets it produced a tuneful "swoosh" that brought smiles to the guitarist's face. But I gave it away as applications were too limited to warrant its place within my cymbal array. These were definitely the forerunner to today's "Chinas".

k.zildjian

k.zildjian

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,892 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids,Michigan
I have a 18" Wuhan on hold for me that I bought off of Craigs last week for $10(!) before I went out of the country............

I'll have it soon,and will do a report on here.......

I like messing with Chinas too!

thedeadlyrhythm42

thedeadlyrhythm42

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I own 2 Wuhan S Series Medium Weight crashes sizes 16 and 18. I love them for what they are. I have recorded with them before and I really dig the way they cut through a mix (rock music). They have a shimmery sound with very dark undertones. The uneven hammering produces a pretty trashy crash cymbal, but if that's what you would like, these could be for you. I would probably not recommend using them as your only crash cymbals since (in my opinion) they have a very specific sound that does not work for everything.

I used the 16 in place of a china on the last album i recorded with my band. I wanted something with trash but a little more sustain to it and the 16 inch worked out perfectly

drewbertca

drewbertca

• Members
  • 433 posts
  • LocationTimmins Ontario, Canada
I like my S Series Splash...12" Cuts pretty good

drumspazz714

drumspazz714

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationMichigan
Tell you what, if you get the right one they're friggin' sweet. I have played the chinas for years and have only cracked 2. My go to splash is an 8" wuhan- just awesome decay, very dark and quick. But my baby is an 18" traditional crash($75). I love it and use it for all my recordings and in my original band. Super dark, not too heavy, great wash- just don't buy these if you bash the cymbals. And they're very inconsistant. I picked through 5 18's before I found that one(and I got lucky).
You can hear this 18" all over this album I recorded:
http://www.myspace.com/the315bowery

Check out the cymbal swell in "Sound Of A Concussion". Wuhan baby!!

tillerva

tillerva

Forum Guru...yeh right :p

• Members
  • 3,098 posts
The Wuhan's are the real deal. Trashy as can be. There's a drummer named Neil Peart who used to play them, until some company called Zildjian started making an 'Oriental' china. Of course then that dude made some cymbals with another company called Sabian. . .

Thwack

Thwack

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,325 posts
When Wuhan drumset cymbals first came out, they had a deal where you could get a 20" ride, 18" crash, 10" splash, a set of 14" hats and a cymbal bag, hand selected to match, for a great price, I think $200. I purchased a set, and am quite happy with them.

They are heavy and have a good finish. They are a bit trashy, but far better than entry level cymbals from the likes of Z, S,and P. They aren't as good as the "professional" level cymbals but still fine for occasional giggers or if you want to save some money. I use mine on a practice set, but definitely would gig with them. They also record well.

charlesm

charlesm

• Members
  • 462 posts
  • LocationNY-metro

I haven't personally used them, but I think most people would discourage their use. Their chinas are good for their extremely cheap and trashy sound. This is some peoples' cup of tea for splashes as well, but I think most people would find them too cheap and trashy sounding for the rest of the kit, and they have serious durability issues.

I'd have to respectfully disagree with all of this as someone who owns and uses one. It's a little presumptuous to say "most people would discourage their use," isn't it? They sure do sound trashy--but not "cheap." They sound like quintessential traditional China-type cymbals, which is what they are. They sound great.

As for durability issues, yes, maybe if you are a thrash-metal drummer hammering mercilessly on a thin, hand-made cymbal such as this. For less brutal music styles, I would think they'd hold up just fine. Unfortunately, China cymbals, I think, have come to be thought of as a metal-genre cymbal. Most companies now build them too heavy, in my opinion, so that they'll hold up in those styles. They have to be thin to really get that trashy sound, and Wuhan does this sound very well.

Here's the thing: One of these will only set you back about, what, $40 new?? No-brainer if you really want a trashy sound. Play it with the right technique and it will last. If you crack it, hey, at least you're out $40 and not $250. Get another one and maybe refine your technique a bit.

drummerjohn333

drummerjohn333

• Members
  • 372 posts
  • LocationMichigan
Wuhan Crashes, HHs, Rides, etc are GREAT....but will never come to be appreciated or sell in large numbers because they have a major problem: QC (Quality Control). There is way too much inconsistency with these, as you will notice that some bloggers hate them,, some love them....it's all if they happened to get a good cymbal or not. Although they have been selling more and more these days because we have this thing called the internet and Ebay and the like.....but they will never gain market penetration like the big 3 if they never address the major practical issue, QC, and the fact that there are very few retailers that carry several of these so that potential consumers can try them out and pick the one they like.

If they were smart (and/or some local company was smart) they would flood their distribution lines with them and allow users to hand pick their purchases. Of course, that would cost a great deal of capital and carry a degree of risk....and so it is not done. The other part of this issue is that massive distribution will still not solve the issue if only about 4 out of 10 cymbals sound as they should. There is also an issue that needs to be addressed at the manufacturing level. If they were to do that, and address the marketing (hands on for consumers) then there would be no holding Wuhans back, as their value is out of this world and sound just as good as any of the big 3.

I just wish that I had a local retailer with about 40 of those that I could go try out, because if so, I would go snag up a hell of a deal on an A1 Quality Beautiful B20 set of cymbals for less than half of the Big 3 and all their dam*ed advertising that we have to pay for.

I bought some Wuhan "S" Hihats off CL from the other side of the country and was thrilled at the quality, but they were too heavy. I sold them to a local guy here using Cra*g'slist that played heavier music. Too bad, because I had a great set of HHs for only about $45.

"Drummerjohn333" in Michigan

drumhead

drumhead

Forum ahole

• Gold
  • 1,326 posts
  • LocationDanville, Pa.
I have a 16" china I use in my setup with Sabian Vaults. It's a great-sounding china, but in the mix it's a very short, dry, trashy note. At the kit it sounds much better.

But that's what they are. I have some Sabian chinas that give a bit longer note, but the Wuhans are it for a quick, explosive trash accent.

I have a 12" that's really high pitched and LOUD as all heck. Another great option for a quick accent.

I got the 16 new for I think $34. Luckily, Dale's picks out winners for the showroom floor.

The 12 I got for $10 new, again at Dale's.

I've seen heavy hitters tear through them in weeks, but mine have held up.

pstone

pstone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Locationaz
I have the 16", 18" and 20" W/ Rivets China Cymbals from Wuhan...
I have also owned many Zildjian Chinas of the same sizes.
The Wuhans won the battle for both sound and price.
Peart played these a while back, and I can see why.
Cracked one or two, but who cares...For $20 - $40 Bucks...Easily replaceable.
Yes, they are inconsistent, but that's sometimes a good thing when looking for different sounds.

Have a few Wuhan splashes too. Some sound as good or even better than some of my Zildjian K splashes.
Worth every penny to me...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users