- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

tillerva

tillerva

Forum Guru...yeh right :p

• Members
  • 2,930 posts
I understand that the gold tone was used on Honky Tonk Women. Anybody know what other cowbells are used on famous parts?? How about Don't Fear the Reaper, Low Rider, others???? Hope this isn't too duplicative (is that a word?).

jrfrond

jrfrond

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 5,533 posts
  • LocationOceanside, New York

I understand that the gold tone was used on Honky Tonk Women. Anybody know what other cowbells are used on famous parts?? How about Don't Fear the Reaper, Low Rider, others???? Hope this isn't too duplicative (is that a word?).

And I thought I was the only one who thought about this!!!

The difference with cowbells being plated, unplated and powdercoated can be extreme. The "Honky Tonk Women" cowbell clearly rings around "E", but producer Jimmy Miller, who played it, cleverly muted it as necessary for effect. My LP Cha-Cha bell rings in "E" as well, but already sounds muted due to the powdercoat.

I would LOVE to find out what cowbells were used on famous cowbell tunes. "Mississippi Queen" anyone??? :headbang:

How about:

- American Band?

- Can't Get Enough? (Barry White)

- Soul Makossa?

- I Call Your Name

- You Can't Do That?

Let's get some others going here!

This is real minutia, isn't it? :drunken:

K.O.

K.O.

DFO Drum Lord

• Members
  • 13,571 posts
  • LocationIllinois
I don't know but suspect that the cowbell in "Don't Fear the Reaper" is an LP Black Beauty. I have one I bought back around that same time and it sounds just like that. Also at the time LP only made 2-3 sizes.

I wonder what Ringo/the Beatles used at Abbey Road.

oneeyedcat

oneeyedcat

• Platinum
  • 298 posts
  • LocationBronx, NY
Whiskey Train - Procol Harum

Rick :occasion5:

jrfrond

jrfrond

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 5,533 posts
Like drums and cymbals, I suspect that whatever was laying around the studio was used. Someone hit a cowbell or two and that was it, then it was "Roll tape".

Nowadays, it would probably turn into an hour discussion of who made it, where it was made, what year, what metal, what coating, how it was mounted, and what to hit it with! :rolleyes: :icon_smile:

wflkurt

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus

• Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationChichester NH
How about good times bad times? Dance the Night Away by Van Halen? I have an old no name cowbell that sounds just like the Dance the Night Away cowbell.

Edited by wflkurt, 18 February 2010 - 03:08 PM.

curotto

curotto

DFO Potentate

• Double Platinum
  • 3,629 posts
  • LocationS. F. Bay Area

The difference with cowbells being plated, unplated and powdercoated can be extreme. The "Honky Tonk Women" cowbell clearly rings around "E", but producer Jimmy Miller, who played it, cleverly muted it as necessary for effect. My LP Cha-Cha bell rings in "E" as well, but already sounds muted due to the powdercoat.

I would LOVE to find out what cowbells were used on famous cowbell tunes. "Mississippi Queen" anyone??? :headbang:

How about:

- American Band?

- Soul Makossa?

- I Call Your Name

- You Can't Do That?

Time...The Chambers Brothers

Honky Tonk Woman...The Rolling Stones

Evil Ways...Santana

Mike Curotto

jrfrond

jrfrond

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 5,533 posts

How about:

- American Band?

- Soul Makossa?

- I Call Your Name

- You Can't Do That?

Time...The Chambers Brothers

Honky Tonk Woman...The Rolling Stones

Evil Ways...Santana

Mike Curotto

Forgot about "Down On The Corner", "Born On The Bayou" and "Heard It Through The Grapevine" by CCR, which sounds suspiciously like the cowbell on the Chambers Brothers' "Time Has Come Today". ;-)

debotcher

debotcher

• Members
  • 298 posts
  • LocationGlorious New Jersey
Ahhhh... Time by the Chambers Bothers, To me, one of the most elusive cowbell songs of all time. 2 different cowbells, or 1 cowbell struck differently? My thought is that it was one cowbell struck differently. Minutia, I know.
I've always thought it would be cool to cover this song with a left foot setup with a dual effect pedal such as a Sonor Giant Step to get that effect using a heel-toe technique. That would be impressive. Couldn't mess up though, as it would blow the entire thing. I know I couldn't do it without a LOT of practice.

dwludzild

dwludzild

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,959 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA
May I chime in?

I have pictures of Ringo with a Ludwig cowbell by his kit. A guy at a music store in Arkansas found a box of 6 of these upstairs back in the early 90's. He gave me one and said they had been there since the 60's. This bell is also used on Honky Tonk Woman.

The cowbell on Mississippi Queen has to be an LP "Mambo" cowbell.

Later,

Edited by dwludzild, 19 February 2010 - 08:32 AM.

cdlaine

cdlaine

Drummer Excelsior

• Members
  • 9,383 posts
  • LocationChandler, Az.
l o w r i d d a.....

Peace, Chas

k.zildjian

k.zildjian

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,782 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids,Michigan
Grazing in the grass-Hugh Masakela

mlayton

mlayton

Team Dfo

• Administrators
  • 24,942 posts
  • LocationThe Ludalloy Loft
ive got to ad that ive got 3 cowbells. but, there is nothing like the sound of that golden tone ludwig. nothing quite like it.

mike

2000dan2000

2000dan2000

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,436 posts
  • LocationRocky Mountain High

ive got to ad that ive got 3 cowbells. but, there is nothing like the sound of that golden tone ludwig. nothing quite like it.

mike

+1
Couldn't agree more... It definitely has "that" cowbell sound!

(that's one mounted there on my Slingies in my avatar)

Edited by 2000dan2000, 19 February 2010 - 01:21 AM.

EvEnStEvEn

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~

• Members
  • 12,532 posts
  • LocationRed River
I suspect Mississippi Queen, Dance The Night Away, and many of the CCR hits were all done with an 8" LP Black Beauty.

"American Band" sounds more like a 5" black beauty.

LP sold a ton of both models.... and still does.

Coelacanth

Coelacanth

A Piper at the Gates of Dawn

• Members
  • 11,218 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada
When I first saw that Ludwig Gold Tone, I was intrigued...it looked almost exactly like the 6 cowbells I found on eBay and won for $20. Those were antique hand-made cowbells with what appears to be the same construction. They were all painted with black paint but I bead-blasted that crap off easily enough. Though they all have different pitches, they're all more musical than the big brand-name models at the drum store.

The only 'dud' was one that was about 5.5" long with a couple 3/4" cracks on the lips. I was thinking of just tossing it out but then realized I could probably resurrect it by cutting it down an inch, removing the cracks and perhaps letting it ring like it ought to.

The nicest one of the bunch was also the most musical. If I polished it up, it would probably look pretty close to the Ludwig one, too. :)

DolFan54

DolFan54

Gum Flapping Idiot

• Members
  • 10,165 posts
  • LocationSanta Rosa, CA.
Hair Of The Dog - Nazareth

curotto

curotto

DFO Potentate

• Double Platinum
  • 3,629 posts
  • LocationS. F. Bay Area
O Ye Como Va...Tito Puente/Santana

Mike Curotto

grumpy409

grumpy409

Advanced Snr. Member

• Gold
  • 829 posts
  • LocationParkton, Maryland
Greetings Everyone, I would like to know the answers to all those questions too. I read somewhere that the Ludwig cowbell was made by Paiste at one time.

mlayton

mlayton

Team Dfo

• Administrators
  • 24,942 posts
  • LocationThe Ludalloy Loft
ive read the same several times grumpy. they got the formula right on those. ive got the same era ludwig silver cowbell and its nothing like as good as the gold model is.

mike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users