• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

TXDrumz

TXDrumz

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • LocationAustin
Hello everyone,
Thank you for indulging me, a brand new forum member with a general question about a set of Tama Artstar shells I am selling.

The owner of a drum shop in Austin tried to tell me that the 3 shells I have were cherry wood or ebony, he really doesn't appear to know much or want to know much about drums, as far as I could tell after asking some basic questions on new sets he was selling. Anyway, now it appears that the set I have (missing one of the rack toms) is an older kit with cordia wood shells. An ebay seller has a similar set with fewer bass drum legs with an opening bid of $4500, for 7 pieces.
My set has a few scratches and a couple of dings where the toms slipped and hit the bass drum. Also, they have been modified in that there are internal mic hookups in each drum.

Here is a link to some pictures

http://s134.photobuc...a artstar drums

Obviously I would like your help in determining their true value when selling them. I was asking %500, which I am told may be too low. Anyone want to offer your expertise?

Thanks

b/o 402

b/o 402

Wacky old coot

• Members
  • 1,977 posts
  • LocationMaryland
Those are some beautiful drums, Tama's top of the line at the time; introduced about 1983, I think. There are Tama nuts who would kill for that model.

Here is a catalog page with lots of info.

You just have the three pieces? What sizes?

There are a few Tama fans on here, I'm sure they'll check in. You might look over at the Pearl forum too, I bet you'd get some offers.

ed427vette

ed427vette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • LocationLong Island NY
The black set on ebay is a very unusual set in that it has 20 inch bass drums. That changes everything in regard to price.

For standard Artstars in black for mint drums a fair selling price for the 3 pieces you have is probably around $600-700. Yours are priced fair at $500 since it has some dings and has been modified. Also your bass drum tom holder is not from the that set. It looks like a Rockstar series mount.

These are valuable as well as great sounding drums but even the rare sized black Artstar set on ebay for $4500 is most likely not going to sell anytime soon for that price. If they were cordia colored then I would think it could go for even higher. The Cordia color is more desirable. There is a big Cordia set on ebay now that has a bid for $2000.00 and I do not expect to see it get much higher. All common sizes. He was asking $2500 but was also including the 8 and 10 inch drums. That was a good deal. But since the small drums are sold (and he should have been able to get $1500 for just the little drums but I bet he sold them for much less) now its just a fair deal.

This of course is just my opinion but I think I'm pretty close to the mark on these drums.

AgDrumma07

AgDrumma07

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 4,107 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX
Those Cordias are kick ass drums. I think $500 is a pretty fair price, depending on the total damage done on the shells.

TXDrumz

TXDrumz

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • LocationAustin
Thank you both for your replies. Your knowledge on these drums is remarkable.
Also, I appreciate the information concerning the tom holder. I've noticed that you really have to crank the thumbscrew down tight to get it to keep from slipping. Makes sense.

The black set on ebay is a very unusual set in that it has 20 inch bass drums. That changes everything in regard to price.

For standard Artstars in black for mint drums a fair selling price for the 3 pieces you have is probably around $600-700. Yours are priced fair at $500 since it has some dings and has been modified. Also your bass drum tom holder is not from the that set. It looks like a Rockstar series mount.

These are valuable as well as great sounding drums but even the rare sized black Artstar set on ebay for $4500 is most likely not going to sell anytime soon for that price. If they were cordia colored then I would think it could go for even higher. The Cordia color is more desirable. There is a big Cordia set on ebay now that has a bid for $2000.00 and I do not expect to see it get much higher. All common sizes. He was asking $2500 but was also including the 8 and 10 inch drums. That was a good deal. But since the small drums are sold (and he should have been able to get $1500 for just the little drums but I bet he sold them for much less) now its just a fair deal.

This of course is just my opinion but I think I'm pretty close to the mark on these drums.

TXDrumz

TXDrumz

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • LocationAustin
The shells are 22" bass, 11" ride tom, 16" floor tom.
Thanks.

Those are some beautiful drums, Tama's top of the line at the time; introduced about 1983, I think. There are Tama nuts who would kill for that model.

There are a few Tama fans on here, I'm sure they'll check in. You might look over at the Pearl forum too, I bet you'd get some offers.

TXDrumz

TXDrumz

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • LocationAustin
I've found the correct tom mount for the Artstar kit, and am selling the one that is pictured with the kit, on Ebay. I still don't know what set it came from originally. I have looked at most of Tama's kits.

Do a search on ebay for Vintage Tama Double Tom Mount Hardware (very professional photographs indeed)! I didn't know if links to ebay were allowed here or not.

Thanks

The shells are 22" bass, 11" ride tom, 16" floor tom.
Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users