Photo

OT: Is this the rare "FrankenCaster" guitar I've heard about?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

thebeebe5

thebeebe5

Miss you, Bongo!!

• Members
  • 2,919 posts
  • LocationSurprise, AZ
http://phoenix.craig...1785534435.html

Edited by thebeebe5, 11 June 2010 - 12:07 AM.

BBeyer

BBeyer

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,818 posts
WTH? Gibson= fixed neck.. Fender= bolt on neck.. how the hell...

9Lb Tongue

9Lb Tongue

Oily Beau Hunk

• Members
  • 10,569 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Tejas
weee doggie......thats just weird looking

TheBeachBoy

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire

• Members
  • 5,916 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

WTH? Gibson= fixed neck.. Fender= bolt on neck.. how the hell...

Two possibilities I can think of:

1.) It's a knock-off SG body that may already have had a bolt-on neck.

2.) Someone broke the neck and a little cutting and sanding they left an opening for a bolt-on...I would think it's much easier and more sturdy to fix it that way, especially if it was a home job.

It does look a little "off" but I bet it sounds great.

DrumBob

DrumBob

Drummer Excelsior

• Banned
  • 8,676 posts
  • Locationnorthwest NJ
It is a knockoff SG that already had a bolt-on neck./ That's what it looks like to me. In any event, I wouldn't buy it, but that's just me. It might play OK. It's not my cup of tea.

Guest_leedybdp_*

Guest_leedybdp_*
  • Guests
It's a hermaphrodite. It should be named Lola. Very few Telecasters from the 70s ever had that large (CBS era Strat) headstock. My guess is that the components (at least the alleged Fender components) are fakes.

This guitar reminded me of the old song by Still Water.

Edited by leedybdp, 11 June 2010 - 08:51 AM.

vintagemore2000

vintagemore2000

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 7,069 posts
  • Locationnorth carolina
For the price this seller is dreaming!! AVOID THIS THING!!!

just me

just me

Since DCI

• Gold
  • 3,145 posts
The neck being Fender is very dubious at best. It's either a Japanese neck of Teisco heritage (note the string retainer, locking nut and crappy tuners) or somebody took a Fender neck and screwed it all up.

Only the person that put it together really knows about the body.... <_<

Edited by dead_head, 11 June 2010 - 07:12 AM.

thebeebe5

thebeebe5

Miss you, Bongo!!

• Members
  • 2,919 posts
  • LocationSurprise, AZ

It is a knockoff SG that already had a bolt-on neck./ That's what it looks like to me. In any event, I wouldn't buy it, but that's just me. It might play OK. It's not my cup of tea.

Nor is it mine. But I know we all get a kick out of what shows up on CL!

sonicD

sonicD

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,757 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR
Wrong headstock, wrong pickguard, wrong knobs, wrong neck joint, wrong pickups... Everything about that thing is just plain wrong. And yet, I kinda like it...

Guest_leedybdp_*

Guest_leedybdp_*
  • Guests

Wrong headstock, wrong pickguard, wrong knobs, wrong neck joint, wrong pickups... Everything about that thing is just plain wrong. And yet, I kinda like it...

I can get you a genuine imitation Rolex for that same price. If you want, it can be equipped with a Tag Heuer watch band.

DrumBob

DrumBob

Drummer Excelsior

• Banned
  • 8,676 posts
  • Locationnorthwest NJ

That's a $100 guitar that should be given to a kid who wants a guitar and can't afford one.

Big Beat

Big Beat

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,335 posts
  • LocationNYC
That's a $100 guitar that should be given to a kid who wants a guitar and can't afford one.

Exactly. But believe it or not, that neck and body belong together :) There were plenty of cheapo Japanese guitars that had both Gibson and Fender styling all mixed up. I once had a very similar one branded "Lyle". So basically, it's a Lyle type guitar that was painted white and customized with a few oddball parts and a Fender decal. It wouldn't fool anyone. The price is just laughable.

Edited by Big Beat, 11 June 2010 - 10:27 AM.

sonicD

sonicD

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,757 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

I can get you a genuine imitation Rolex for that same price. If you want, it can be equipped with a Tag Heuer watch band.

Would that be a real Tag Heuer watchband or a chinese knockoff? hmmm.... :laughing6:

Vipercussionist

Vipercussionist

Drummer Extra Ordinary

• Members
  • 4,737 posts
  • LocationRhode Island, USA

If you remember, Kalamazoo guitars (made by Gibson) had bolt on necks, I had an SG guitar and an EBO bass styled set!!!!! They were an imported (i think) cheapo version for those who couldn't afford the real thing. They already HAD sort of a Fender styled headstock ANYWAY so it's really NOT a stretch!!

Posted Image

thebeebe5

thebeebe5

Miss you, Bongo!!

• Members
  • 2,919 posts
  • LocationSurprise, AZ

Sounds like that's exactly the case here. Given by his grandfather. Really is a head turner, eh? Of course I'll turn mine to retch...:-?

DrumBob

DrumBob

Drummer Excelsior

• Banned
  • 8,676 posts
  • Locationnorthwest NJ

If you remember, Kalamazoo guitars (made by Gibson) had bolt on necks, I had an SG guitar and an EBO bass styled set!!!!! They were an imported (i think) cheapo version for those who couldn't afford the real thing. They already HAD sort of a Fender styled headstock ANYWAY so it's really NOT a stretch!!

Posted Image

The Kalamazoo guitars were made in the USA in the Gibson factory, but the bodies were pressed cardboard/glue/woodchips, etc, perhaps close to what the original Remo Acousticon stuff was. Kalamazoos have become somewhat collectible lately. Don't know why!

Vipercussionist

Vipercussionist

Drummer Extra Ordinary

• Members
  • 4,737 posts
  • LocationRhode Island, USA

The Kalamazoo guitars were made in the USA in the Gibson factory, but the bodies were pressed cardboard/glue/woodchips, etc, perhaps close to what the original Remo Acousticon stuff was. Kalamazoos have become somewhat collectible lately. Don't know why!

I can tell you why, they actually play pretty well, and sound cool too. The guitar I had was a dual pickup model with a whammy bar. Wish I still had it today actually.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users