Photo

Best Drum Bags and Cases to Transport Drums?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

alexf

alexf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I am going to college in a month, and I need to buy some drum bags and cases to help me bring my whole drum set to school. I need to buy drum bags for the drums, a case for the stands, and a cymbal bag for the cymbals. In your experience what ones do you suggest buying?

vintagemore2000

vintagemore2000

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 7,008 posts
  • Locationnorth carolina
I've got a set of warwick rock bags, well made ! but I use SKB hardcases most of the time!

RickP

RickP

Dan RH Jr.

• Gold
  • 6,960 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North
I really like Protection racket cases for both drums and hardware- very well made,keeps your drums in good condition and don't cost a fortune.
If I was going for hard cases I would go with Protechtor cases.
I have an SKB hardware case that has held up to some really heavy pounding and long road trips.

repete

repete

monkey drummer

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  • Locationsouth florida
I use the SKB hard cases for my snares and the Protection Racket bags for my kit. Sabain makes a great cymbal bag with shoulder straps as well as the regular handle, don't know the model number...I use a Protection Rackets bag for my hardware..I guess it depends on how much stuff you have.

bbunks

bbunks

Advanced Forum Guru

• Platinum
  • 1,973 posts
  • LocationChicago
I'm partial to Protection Racket for bags and XL Specialty (Protechtor) for hard cases. All depends on budget & space.

onemat

onemat

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,959 posts
  • LocationNashville
Drum Bags, I've tried a few. I Like Protechtion Racket bags alot, but I wound up going with
Sound Seeker from Humes & Berg, which I like just as much. They are a relatively inexpensive version of Protechtion Racket. I had one case that wasn't sewn correctly but I had a very easy exchange at my local dealer.
I do have a Protection Racket Cymbal Bag and it's been great.
I used to use various hard cases but I'm not a touring drummer. I like the new generation bags
because they are sturdier than they used to be along with really nice soft interiors.
Matt

brianb

brianb

Advanced Snr. Member

• Double Platinum
  • 698 posts
  • LocationMarshall, IL
I've always used Humes & Berg Tuxedo bags for my drums. I bought the first set of them probably 20 years ago and have never had a reason to try anything else. When I order a new kit, I order those to go with it. I do use SKB cases for my cymbals and hardware and they work great as well. The Protection Racket stuff looks really nice too.

High on Stress

High on Stress

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationMPLS
Lots of different choices out there for bags, but I just would recommend a hard case for your snare even if you go with bags for the other drums. I used to always use a hard case for the snare and recently switched to using a nicely padded bag for the snare and sure enough ... found a slightly bent strainer on the drum when retrieved from the soft case. Snares just have more delicate parts portruding from the outside of the drum and seem to be a bit more delicate as a result, so I would advise at least a hard case for that instrument.

Obiwandrumobe

Obiwandrumobe

• Members
  • 385 posts
Cymbal Bag: http://www.bodyglove...product_id=7835

Drum Bag: Beato Pro I http://www.beatobags.com/products.htm

alexf

alexf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thanks everybody for all of the suggestions. The Protection Racket bag looks really nice, I just have one question about it. Do you only put hardware in it, or do you put drums in too? I was under the impression I should buy something of this type for my drums

http://accessories.m...-Set?sku=544775

Which are individual bags for each drum. Is it true that I am going to need to buy three separate things? One for drums, one for hardware, and one for cymbals?

Edited by alexf, 21 July 2010 - 03:14 PM.

Bongo Congo

Bongo Congo

• Members
  • 6,562 posts

Thanks everybody for all of the suggestions. The Protection Racket bag looks really nice, I just have one question about it. Do you only put hardware in it, or do you put drums in too? I was under the impression I should buy something of this type for my drums

http://accessories.m...-Set?sku=544775

Which are individual bags for each drum. Is it true that I am going to need to buy three separate things? One for drums, one for hardware, and one for cymbals?

You will want three separate things, yes. Bags (or cases) for the drums, a hardware bag, and a cymbal bag. Make sure there's room somewhere in there for your drum throne top and your bass pedal as well... particularly if you have the kind of bass pedal that has a metal plate under it and doesn't fold up.

Those Gator cases (your link) look pretty nice ~ although the price is so low it actually scares me. You wonder how they can sell them so cheap...

A good rule of thumb is: if you're going to handle the drums yourself, you can use good-quality soft bags without much worry. If anyone else is going to be handling them, get hard cases.

DanC

DanC

Workin' on a chain gang...

• Members
  • 11,581 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Florida, behind a Rogers kit

I've always used Humes & Berg Tuxedo bags for my drums. I bought the first set of them probably 20 years ago and have never had a reason to try anything else. When I order a new kit, I order those to go with it. I do use SKB cases for my cymbals and hardware and they work great as well. The Protection Racket stuff looks really nice too.

+1 on the Humes & Berg Tuxedo bags...

alexf

alexf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thanks for the advice. Ya those bags might be cheaply made based on the price, I just put those up there for an example. I will look more into getting soft bags to buy.

latzanimal

latzanimal

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 798 posts

+1 on the Humes & Berg Tuxedo bags...

+2 on H & B stuff...

PM me for a deal on these..

Edited by latzanimal, 22 July 2010 - 04:01 AM.

Hater

Hater

Genuine GMS Junkie

• Members
  • 1,729 posts
  • LocationRoseville, Minnesota
I’ve got SKB drum cases now, but if I were to do it all over again, I’d go with XL cases, especially the Air Elite models instead. They are much cheaper and they are much lighter.

Personally speaking, I’ve got a few different brands of soft bags that I use, and I’m not really partial to any of them. They all have their positives and negatives. I like the Protection Racket bags, although the Humes & Berg Drum Seeker bags are damn good too. The other bags that I really, REALLY like are the Beato Cordura Deluxe bags. Hot spit those are nice bags. Pricey, but well worth it. Pound for pound, those are probably the nicest bags out there right now.

The cymbal bags that I like the most today is the Reunion Blues Continental bag. It’s very nice. Check it out. We’ve sold several of them these past few months. Extremely high quality item and the customers who did buy one have raved about them.

I cannot in good faith recommend a soft bag for hardware. They always fail. Get a hard case for that. You’re money will go a lot farther going that route. Yea, you can save $$$ going with a soft bag for hardware, but if it only lasts 2-3 years before it rips, then where is the savings? I’ve been using the same Humes & Berg hard case for my hardware for 20 years, it it’s still holding up like a champ. Trust me on this one, go with a hard hardware case. You won’t regret it.

DanRH

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger

• Double Platinum
  • 15,691 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area
IMHO in regard to bags...Drum Seekers by Humes and Berg and/or Protection Racket. They're what I use.

Cannons

Cannons

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,733 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX
I use H&B Galaxy bags for my drums, and they've held up well. I don't know if they'd hold up to a long tour with a heavy amount of load-ins/outs, but they serve my weekend warrior needs just fine.

I pack my snares in SKB cases, and I recommend them. They cost a bit more, but are totally worth it.

I couldn't agree more with a previous post regarding hardware bags. They will not last the way you'll want them to. I had a Galaxy hardware bag, and it was the worst possible choice for me. I recently acquired an SKB hardware case, and the difference has been night and day. It's easier to carry and load, despite its extra weight, and can be used as a base unit to stack gear on top of. I'm very happy with it.

Edited by Cannons, 22 July 2010 - 11:46 AM.

shadowhunter066

shadowhunter066

• Members
  • 342 posts
  • LocationLA, CA
I was okay with Protection racket, but ever since I got my Beato Pro 1 bags, I will never use anything else ever again, execpt for SKB if I need a hard shell case. They are the best soft cases on the market.. They have a lifetime warranty, they are tear proof, water proof, and fire proof!
How could you go with anything else?!
And they new design for the bass drums make it soo much easier to carry the bass drum!

GOOD STUFF!

shadowhunter066

shadowhunter066

• Members
  • 342 posts
  • LocationLA, CA
Beato Bag Story..READ IT!

Edited by shadowhunter066, 22 July 2010 - 12:25 PM.

DanRH

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger

• Double Platinum
  • 15,691 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area
I forgot Beato Ones! If I had any complaints about the Beat one's it would be the drums fit a bit too snugly. Still, great bags.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users