- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

maxsample

maxsample

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC, Canada
has anybody every tried using two large (16"+) "crash" cymbals as hi hat top and bottom? I like the idea of only using a hi hat that sort of doubles as a crash/ride. Any thoughts or experiences?

K.O.

K.O.

DFO Drum Lord

• Gold
  • 14,458 posts
  • LocationIllinois
Haven't ever tried it (not sure why I haven't as I have a mess of 16"s lying around) but why not?...see how it sounds and if you like it then use them. I've heard of guys using 16 " cymbals for Hi-hats. I use 15" myself...fairly thin cymbals (1950's Zildjians) and they work great. Don't get too hung up on the type the manufacturer ink stamps on a cymbal...see what works for you.

I think someone posted a picture here a while back of a couple of 20" cymbals on their hi-hat.

tommykat1

tommykat1

Percussionist Maximus

• Double Platinum
  • 7,088 posts
  • LocationOregon
Steve Jordan uses two 17" Paistes. Great sound.

Steve Jordan's Cymbal Setup

petercool

petercool

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,108 posts
  • LocationPattaya, Thailand
My view is that crashes without enough shape to them won't be that good for hi-hat "chicks" in say, jazz.
But if you are using them closed or semi-open with snare in funk or whatever other genre, then anything will work and mixed sizes can be very effective.

blueshadow

blueshadow

Drummer Excelsior

• Gold
  • 8,624 posts
  • LocationSouth of Austin, Texas
Trey Gray uses them and he's playing with Brooks and Dunn so guess they do work ;) All I've got is 18's and up... a bit much I think.

Coelacanth

Coelacanth

A Piper at the Gates of Dawn

• Members
  • 11,218 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada
ChunChun has, I believe. But just because you can doesn't mean you should. :drunken:

jrfrond

jrfrond

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 5,533 posts
  • LocationOceanside, New York
Put them together, and see if it works for you. If it SOUNDS good, it IS good.

Chunchunchun

Chunchunchun

Young Whippersnapper

• Members
  • 2,252 posts
  • LocationGloucestershire, UK
Hell, I've done it with rides! 20" crash on top of 20" ride. Not a sound I'd usually use, but it's fun.

Here are two great examples of it being done:
17" Meinl Byzance crashes

16" Dream Bliss crashes

PureRockFury

PureRockFury

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 786 posts
  • LocationKingston, ON, Canada
I love thin dark crashes as hats, especially some Byzance or Dream Bliss. YUM!

Trey Gray

Trey Gray

Pro

• Members
  • 737 posts
  • LocationColumbia,TN.
Hello,

I'm using 18" crashes for hats with Brooks & Dunn live. In the studio, it's almost 100% crashes as hats. Anywhere from 15's all the way up to 20's. It's fun. Like the others have said, use your ears, if it sounds good and works for you then by all means....

cheers,
Trey

Ludwig100%

Ludwig100%

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 708 posts
  • LocationS.E. MN/ Mississippi River Valley
how's that extra weight on the spring action? do adjust fairly tight? how about the foot pedal, down to the floor to close them? I know i should just try it out, but want to hear more on the subject if you please.

roubaix

roubaix

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,619 posts
Something I have always wanted to try.

Luddite

Luddite

Mostly intentional comic relief

• Members
  • 9,246 posts
  • LocationThe Great Black Swamp
Since I've noticed more people doing this I've found it pretty intriguing. However, on three out of four of my setups it would be ergonomically impractical. Since I like fairly massive mounted toms and large kicks, I would have to move my hi-hat stand over to allow for the larger cymbals. At my advanced age, those kind of things matter!

Ludwig Von Buzzthoven

Ludwig Von Buzzthoven

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,698 posts
  • LocationMiddle of America

My view is that crashes without enough shape to them won't be that good for hi-hat "chicks" in say, jazz.
But if you are using them closed or semi-open with snare in funk or whatever other genre, then anything will work and mixed sizes can be very effective.

I've been using 16" hats for a while now - a Paiste 2002 16" crash over a Paiste 16" Twenty crash. They sound awesome, especially when played slightly open. The one thing they lack is volume; they are not-so-great for what I'm mainly playing right now, which is trashy garage punk, but they are fantastic for jazz.

how's that extra weight on the spring action? do adjust fairly tight? how about the foot pedal, down to the floor to close them?

If you are using a thin crash on top, the extra weight is barely noticeable. They adjust no better or no worse than any other size of HH, and it doesn't take any more force on the pedal to close them.

Two things of note: Because of the extra diameter, I have to place my HH stand farther away for me. Also, depending on the weight/thickness of HH, the stick action maybe different than what you may be used to with a traditional HH top.

Buzz

Edited by Ludwig Von Buzztoven, 30 July 2010 - 02:56 PM.

BennyK

BennyK

• Members
  • 10,896 posts

Well said, JR !!

Coelacanth

Coelacanth

• Members
  • 11,218 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

Well said, JR !!

I dunno about that, gents. It may sound good, but the lack of foot-speed, responsiveness and subtlety of 16" or larger cymbals-as-hihats is another factor entirely. But yeah, it may sound good. Just like a 30" Ride may sound good. It just might not make much sense, though. :idea1:

veggie

veggie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Locationdayton oh
Paiste used to make 15" Sound Edge hats in the 2002 line.If I remember right they was a great for rock/metal.They were real heavy.I would like to have a pair right now.

maxsample

maxsample

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC, Canada
I tried it today with a borrowed 20" ride as the bottom and an 18" crash on top and it was quite pleasing to me. I tried flipping them so the 20 was on top, but then it was too heavy for the the spring in the hihat pedal. I highly recommend trying it out. I also found this great video of one of my favourite drummers (Greg Saunier) playing big hats but can someone tell me is that a remote hihat thing? So cool.

Petra

Petra

• Members
  • 410 posts

But just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Very true.

I used a 16" Wuhan china as a bottom hat and a 13" Zildjian K bottom hat as the top hat. Very trashy sound, just like what I wanted.

K.O.

K.O.

DFO Drum Lord

• Gold
  • 14,458 posts
  • LocationIllinois

but can someone tell me is that a remote hihat thing? So cool.

Looks like a regular remote Hi-hat to me. DW makes one...so does Pearl, Actually I think most of the major companies have something like that. There is a cable that links the hi-hat to the pedal so you can put the Hi-hat's wherever you want them. Using one of those does solve the "big cymbal" placement problem.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users