Photo

Hollow logo Zildjians with Co and 3 dots stamp?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

HerronScott

HerronScott

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
I have a number of 70s and 80s Zildjian cymbals including 3 hollow logo ones and thought that I had a decent idea of the stamps and logos and a rough idea of the time frames they were made.

Here are some pictures of the stamps and how many of each type that I have.

Early 70s - missing 3 dots, thin Zildjian font, USA with periods and small Co (1 cymbal)

Posted Image

Mid to late 70s - missing 3 dots, thin Zildjian font, USA with periods, small Co and hollow Zildjian ink logo (2 cymbals)

Posted Image

Late 70s to early 80s - 3 dots, thin Zildjian font, USA with periods, large CO and hollow Zildjian ink logo (1 cymbal)

Posted Image

Early to mid-80s (possibly until serial numbering in early 90s) - 3 dots, thin Zildjian font, USA with periods, large CO and solid Zildjian ink logo (3 cymbals)

Posted Image

So then today, I see these hi hats on eBay which have the hollow ink logo with the thin Zildjian font, USA with periods and small Co but *also* have the 3 dots which doesn't match any of the cymbals that I have!

eBay auction

Scott

Coelacanth

Coelacanth

A Piper at the Gates of Dawn

• Members
  • 11,218 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada
I own a set of 80's Quick Beats and previously owned New Beats that were apparently bought in 1986, that had the large "O" in "CO". Both have/had solid ink logos on top. I haven't seen any large "CO" cymbals with hollow ink logos, that's a new one for me. Cool find!

Some further discussion here and also here.

EDIT: The eBay cymbals you linked are certainly unusual, if everything is legit. 60's stamp with late 70's/early 80's hollow logo and 80's-looking machine-hammering. Hmm...

Edited by Coelacanth, 08 September 2010 - 01:11 AM.

HerronScott

HerronScott

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
Coelacanth,

For those of us looking for later era inexpensive Zildjians, I was looking at creating my own personal 70s and 80s Zildjian stamp/logo timeline. Obviously some of the dating is related to whether the ink logo is still present (hollow or solid for example with CO). If the ink logo is gone, then the range becomes wider.

Most of my CO/solid logo cymbals came with my Vistalite set that I bought in 1988 and they already had a fair amount of patina so I'm pretty confident they are from early to mid 80s. It would be interesting to know if the stamp and logo stayed the same from the mid-80s through the early 90s when they started putting the serial number on.

Scott

Coelacanth

Coelacanth

• Members
  • 11,218 posts

Coelacanth,

For those of us looking for later era inexpensive Zildjians, I was looking at creating my own personal 70s and 80s Zildjian stamp/logo timeline. Obviously some of the dating is related to whether the ink logo is still present (hollow or solid for example with CO). If the ink logo is gone, then the range becomes wider.

Most of my CO/solid logo cymbals came with my Vistalite set that I bought in 1988 and they already had a fair amount of patina so I'm pretty confident they are from early to mid 80s. It would be interesting to know if the stamp and logo stayed the same from the mid-80s through the early 90s when they started putting the serial number on.

Scott

Scott, my guess is that large "CO" stamps are from around the mid-80's; possibly '84 to '87 maybe, as they're really quite uncommon relative to all the other 70's & 80's stamps. That leads me to believe they were only produced with that stamp for a short period, but that's just an educated guess. What I know for a fact is that some New Beats allegedly purchased new in '86, and a set of Quick Beats that have solid ink logos, both have the large "CO". It's entirely possible the New Beats bought new in '86 could've been up to a year old when purchased, but I wouldn't think much older than that. The cymbals you bought in 1988 correspond nicely with my date estimate, patina or otherwise. Just because a cymbal has patina doesn't mean it has decades of age; just that it was subjected to the elements moreso than one that wasn't, or was kept clean.

EDIT: I would be interested to see a picture of the hollow ink logo cymbal with the large "CO". It would be good if you could upload it as an attachment, rather than linking to Photobucket, which is firstly blocked here at my work, but more importantly, if your Photobucket account ever craps out or dies from inactivity, nobody here can see the images. If you upload the images here, they remain here as long as this site is alive. ;)

Edited by Coelacanth, 08 September 2010 - 01:43 PM.

HerronScott

HerronScott

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
Coelacanth,

Here are top, bottom and the stamp pictures of the 16" Zildjian crash with hollow logo and the large CO which I think would put this at late 70s to early 80s, but given the large CO I would put it closer to early 80s.

I've uploaded these to the gallery here so hopefully that helps you!

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I've found a couple of ranges given for hollow logos in some other discussions on this.

1976-1981/1975-1983/1978-1981

These would put the solid logos as starting in somewhere around 1981-1984.

Scott

K.O.

K.O.

DFO Drum Lord

• Members
  • 17,460 posts
  • LocationIllinois
I don't recall seeing the ink logos on Zildjian cymbals prior to 79-80(ish) and I was buying new Zildjian cymbals between 1975 and 1980 (I still have all of them and none ever had any inked logos). I think 1978 would be the earliest time frame for the logos (and even that seems early to my recollection). It seems somewhat common also in the latter half of the 70's that the stamped logo would often be very weak, sometimes nearly non-existant. That seems to be unique to this era as well.

Just my personal observations...take them as such as some others seem to disagree, and memory isn't infallable.

Pounder

Pounder

• Members
  • 11,315 posts
  • LocationNorman, OK
I shopped cymbals that had the hollow logos from as early as '76. I think they may have been out earlier. My first set of Zildjian cymbals did not have those hollow logos, though, and it was in '74. They were new beat hihats. They did have ink on them that indicated New Beat Top and Bottom on them, though. I am not quite sure why it matters, though, this being a matter of less than half a decade one way or another. The most important thing is how they sound. The only valid reason to try to get a good date on when a cymbal was made is to find a certain sound based on whatever manufacturing techniques were used at the time. There are those Hollow Ink Logo Zildjian collectors out there, though.

HerronScott

HerronScott

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
Pounder,

It has been funny to see the auctions on eBay as I've shopped for cymbals for my son's set where the hollow logo ones have been listed as "Rare". You are correct that my interest in being able to identify roughly the era the cymbals were made was in order to purchase cymbals which sounded similar to ones he was already playing (acquired with my original used Vistalite set).

Scott

Pounder

Pounder

• Members
  • 11,315 posts
  • LocationNorman, OK
Hey, Scott, nice cymbal.. That's a great reason to get those cymbals, some consider it to be downhill from after that with AZ's, I wouldn't be that harsh, but the hollow logo cymbals era is a great one in my opinion.

Coelacanth

Coelacanth

• Members
  • 11,218 posts
Thanks for the pictures, Scott! I would say that hollow-logo, large "CO" cymbal was made during a transition year, maybe at the end of the era of hollow logos, and right around the time Zildjian started printing the solid logos. It's probably an early 80's cymbal.

Of course, how it sounds is what matters most, but some people just dig the history and learning more about what they have. Sharing info and educating ourselves is just as worthwhile a pursuit as playing cymbals and enjoying the sounds. :)

HerronScott

HerronScott

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Hey, Scott, nice cymbal.. That's a great reason to get those cymbals, some consider it to be downhill from after that with AZ's, I wouldn't be that harsh, but the hollow logo cymbals era is a great one in my opinion.

Pounder,

I really don't know have a very good reference point when it comes to cymbals since my only direct exposure until recently had been the original 1980s 16" crash, 20" ride and 70s 15" hi hats (all Zildjians) that came with the used Vistalite set that I bought many years ago. I know they sound better than Sabian B8's or Zildjian ZXT's though that the local music store has. :)

It has been interesting comparing the sounds of the ones that I've picked up on eBay for my son's set to the ones that I already had. I haven't been disappointed in any but as I mentioned I tried to shop carefuly for the same era and similar weights. I will say that the 70s 14" Zildjian Rock hi hats that I originally picked up do not have as good a sound as the 60s/70s New Beats that I found for him later so I'll probably be getting rid of those. I will also say that I really prefer the sound of the 15" ones that I already had to either of the 14" ones.

Scott

HerronScott

HerronScott

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Of course, how it sounds is what matters most, but some people just dig the history and learning more about what they have. Sharing info and educating ourselves is just as worthwhile a pursuit as playing cymbals and enjoying the sounds. :)

I agree!

Scott

HerronScott

HerronScott

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
Pouner and Coelacanth,

I don't suppose you can help me on dating my other 2 cymbals and whether they are 60s or later can you (other thread)? :)

Scott

Coelacanth

Coelacanth

• Members
  • 11,218 posts
My work has blocked Photobucket...but if you upload the images directly to the forum (after resizing them to 800 x 600 or something), everyone will be able to see them. It's also a good idea to do that because the images will still appear after your Photobucket account expires, you delete images there, or the Photobucket domain is down for a temporary outage...all of which happen way too frequently. That's the problem with linked images. :)

HerronScott

HerronScott

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
Coelacanth,

I posted the cymbal pictures here and edited my original post to reference those pictures instead of the Photobucket ones.

Scott

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users