Photo

Vibraphone, Vibraharp or mallet percussion forums?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Pounder

Pounder

A Piper at the Gates of Dawn

• Members
  • 10,285 posts
  • LocationNorman, OK
Having just got a used Vibraphone that will require a few minor parts and maybe some cleaning and updating, I'm on the lookout for a good forum dedicated to the Vibes, playing them and restoring them, with useful info by mallet technicians and players alike. Does any of the mallet percussionists on this forum know of a good Vibes forum?

Thanks.. I tried to sign up at thevibe.net, but it has been 2 days and still no "moderator approval".. Thanks !

TRstix

TRstix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA
I haven't looked in a while, but try the Percussive Arts Society, pas.org. You might have to become a member, though. They may not have a forum dedicated to vibes, but I bet you can get lots of info there.

cworrick

cworrick

Remembering Bunnyman!

• Platinum
  • 3,764 posts
  • LocationNortheast Indiana
I'll second the Percussive Arts Society (big surprise)
They have a chat site like this and it is divided into specialty areas with the vibes being one of them. I don't think it is as active as the DFO but you can get some really good info on the vibes from some of the best people in the business.

Yes there is a membership fee, but if you sign up for electronic membership instead of the regular printed membership it is about half the price.

Edited by cworrick, 29 September 2010 - 08:46 PM.

drmhed

drmhed

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationOregon
Ditto ditto ditto on the PAS. Their ePas membership is $60 per year. http://www.pas.org/m...Membership.aspx But it is WELL worth it. Some of the premier people in many areas of percussion are there....players and educators. PAS also has a VERY cool annual convention...PASIC. AND, if you claim income from playing and/or teaching it's a tax write off...professional memberships and publications.

kb

kb

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 673 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area
Try the vibenet again, it's a good place, though perhaps Gerry gets a little behind sometimes...

Also try:

The Deagan Resource: http://www.wadeculbreath.com/deagan/

Vibe Workshop: http://www.vibesworkshop.com/

Gilberto Serna helped me a lot with Musser parts: http://centurymallet.com/

Salazar Fine Tuning is on the west coast; there are a couple more tuner/builders too...

What kind of vibe did you get?

Night Mission

Night Mission

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Having just got a used Vibraphone that will require a few minor parts and maybe some cleaning and updating, I'm on the lookout for a good forum dedicated to the Vibes, playing them and restoring them, with useful info by mallet technicians and players alike. Does any of the mallet percussionists on this forum know of a good Vibes forum?

Thanks.. I tried to sign up at thevibe.net, but it has been 2 days and still no "moderator approval".. Thanks !

I was wondering the same thing. I have a Jenco vibe that needs rehab. Not sure what year it is either...

LizH

LizH

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 4,151 posts
  • Locationusa
I mentioned this before, don't know if anyone noticed, but I think it would be great if we could get a sub forum here for mallet percussion, and one for hand percussion. Playing drums is much more than playing a kit.

Pounder

Pounder

• Members
  • 10,285 posts
  • LocationNorman, OK

I mentioned this before, don't know if anyone noticed, but I think it would be great if we could get a sub forum here for mallet percussion, and one for hand percussion. Playing drums is much more than playing a kit.

Agree completely! At the least a percussion sub that involves all percussion instruments including hand drums and mallet percussion. ...

In any case, not currently a student (which would cost $35 for an e-membership on PAS) so it would be a mere $60 for PAS membership.

That is steep enough for me to think long and hard about joining PAS, and I was indeed a member for a few years ago.

Last I tried the Vibe forum it said membership awaiting approval.. I'll check the others.. Ive been on the Deagan resource site, its a Deagan commander 593.. Looking forward to restoring this..

mlvbs

mlvbs

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,371 posts
Did you get that recent 593 on ebay? That was an absolute STEAL, the bars alone were worth twice that. I seriously considered it but already have a working instrument. It's VERY hard to find a travel frame Deagan with graduated bars. I wouldn't hesitate to go to Gilberto, he's the only person I would trust with that instrument. It will be well worth the cost to have them restored properly, and he has the right parts. He's like the Jack Lawton of vibraphones.

The vibe.net hasn't been very active as of late. I used to visit fairly often, and a lot more people would post, including well known vibists like Gary Burton. Don't know what happened.

Thanks,
Bill

Pounder

Pounder

• Members
  • 10,285 posts
  • LocationNorman, OK
Doing the restoration myself, thank you very much..I'm not about to ship this thing anywhere. I think I will do very well with or without assistance. The frame has some damage and the bars have some scratches and dents, and I am confident I can do this without unnecessary shipping and make this instrument wonderful looking-and-sounding. I have tons of respect for Jack Lawton and other restoration artists, but have plenty of confidence, experience and the necessary tools to locally perform the necessary restoration. There are recent posts on vibe.net, but I haven't been approved..<br>Speaking of Gary Burton, he was dean of curriculum at Berklee when I went there and studied vibes for a semester.. I didn't get as much practice time in as I feel I should have, looking back on it..<br>

Edited by Pounder, 30 September 2010 - 11:27 AM.

accusonic

accusonic

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 639 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia PA
You might also want to take a look at marimba.org . It's specific to the marimba, but you might find some useful info. There are so few mallet instrument fora that it can't hurt to check it out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users