Photo

Difference between Clear Tone and Gold Tone?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Mart

Mart

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,727 posts
  • LocationTulsa Ok
Title says it all.. :~)

mlayton

mlayton

Team Dfo

• Administrators
  • 25,862 posts
if you are referring to the vintage 60's ludwig cowbells, i'll say this. ive got one of each. the golden one gives the exact old honky tonk woman sound. it is just right on. they can bring a buck or two when soemone knows what they want. the clear tone,which is more silver, is a decent bell but not like the other. seems like the gold one is the smaller of the two.

mike

ive always read that the golden tone model was made by paiste. i cannot verify that however.

kevins

kevins

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 648 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina, U.S.A.
I found a pic of a what I think is the Ludwig Clear Tone Cowbell made by Paiste in a recently ended eBay auction.
I haven't found it in the catalogs except as being listed as the cowbell for some of the outfits in the 60s.
It's not in the parts listings.

mlvbs

mlvbs

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,400 posts
I've wondered this too. Does anyone have a pic of the two showing the difference? I have a bunch of Ludwig cowbells but don't know which is which.

Thanks,
Bill

mlayton

mlayton

Team Dfo

• Administrators
  • 25,862 posts
i took a pic and posted mine side by side a month or so ago here. i'll see if i can find it.

mike

mlayton

mlayton

Team Dfo

• Administrators
  • 25,862 posts
ok. found my pic. the smaller one on the left is the gold looking one. it is the one that sounds the best.

the 64 ludwig catalog lists them as golden tone in two sizes. the 62 catalog lists them as clear tone in two sizes and says they are bronze and swiss made. thats about all i know right now.

mike

kevins

kevins

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 648 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina, U.S.A.
Thanks for posting that mike.
I guess the one with the Ludwig and Paiste logo never made it into the catalogs?

Edited by kevins, 01 October 2010 - 04:33 AM.

Mart

Mart

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,727 posts
  • LocationTulsa Ok
I thought that maybe the difference was the chrome and the gold color but looking at some old catalogs I see pictures with a gold bell listed as Clear Tone..

Were the Gold bells always produce by Paiste?

I have a gold color bell but I don't think it says Paiste on it..

Edited by Mart, 01 October 2010 - 07:18 AM.

mlayton

mlayton

Team Dfo

• Administrators
  • 25,862 posts
my gold one does not have paiste on it. both have the ludwig script logo.

mike

jonesy

jonesy

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 995 posts
  • LocationEngland
I've got two of the larger ones and one is the colour of Mike's smaller one and the other is like his large one! I just assumed the gold colour had worn off (you can see some of it still on the lighter one under the clamp hook thing), they both sound the same.

drumsforever

drumsforever

Drumsforever

• Members
  • 10,475 posts
  • LocationButler County, OH 45011
Interesting thread I was not aware of this... Can't get enough cowbell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users