Good, cheap, beginner/intermediate drum set

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Darkskeleton

Darkskeleton

• Members
  • 4 posts
Hey, does anyone know a good beginner/intermediate drum set that is cheap? (around $300)

bzzfkt

bzzfkt

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,318 posts
  • LocationIndy west
Check you local craigslist for someone selling a kit w/ cymbals and hardware. the cymbals (even entry level ones) are the expensive part... find someone who has a package deal and go from there!

Bugford

Bugford

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 4,758 posts
A good set new with good hardware and good cymbals for $300, forget it. You'll have to buy used, which I think most of us would suggest anyway. Try ebay and your local craigslist, and then post here anything you find and we can tell you what's junk and what's not junk.

zildjian@consol

zildjian@consol

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationKaty,Texas
Used is the way to go.PDP kits ,Yamaha Stage customs, Pearl Exports,these are the lowest I would go,If your good at waiting great deals will come your way.

Big Beat

Big Beat

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,335 posts
  • LocationNYC
Here you go, 1980's Tama Swingstars. Floor tom a slightly later series (but also Tama Swingstar), no bottom heads/hoops/t-rods. Remo Pinstripes on the toms, Evans Hydraulic on the bass. Really nice original Swingstar snare. Yours for $250 plus shipping. PM me if interested.

Edited by Big Beat, 03 October 2010 - 12:34 PM.

Darkskeleton

Darkskeleton

• Members
  • 4 posts
Does anyone know about Sound Percussion drum sets and their quality?

agogobil

agogobil

Drum Czardine

• Platinum
  • 5,528 posts
  • LocationStL
http://www.georgesdr...age=buyingguide

Bugford

Bugford

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 4,758 posts
Sound Percussion is what we call “Asian firewood” because they are made in China, and they would make a great fire. Are they good? That depends on your definition of good. They are what is called a Stencil Brand. Asian manufacturers make these by the boatload and sell them under many different names. If you go on ebay and do a search of new drum sets under $500 you will find hundreds of these sets selling under various names.

Will you be happy with them? Who knows? I started on a kit probably worse, and I loved that kit. But as time went on it became obvious the difference between my set, and the higher-quality sets owned by my friends. You will be getting what you paid for.

Your original question asks about a good set for around $300. Unfortunately, if you are buying new, $300 won’t buy much more than a really nice sets of hi-hat cymbals. If you buy used, you MAY be able to find a great deal on real drums with real hardware with real cymbals for $300, but that will take some looking. Good luck in your quest. It can be done!

And read the link that agogobil posted. It is the honest truth about buying new drums for the first time.

forgiven7x

forgiven7x

Forum Guru

• Double Platinum
  • 1,468 posts
  • LocationSouth west of Memphis, TN

forgiven7x

forgiven7x

Forum Guru

• Double Platinum
  • 1,468 posts
  • LocationSouth west of Memphis, TN

Hey DarkSkeleton: I just sent you a PM... I hope you get it. Sometimes mine go through and sometimes not. It is about my drum set...SP

~Michelle

Coelacanth

Coelacanth

A Piper at the Gates of Dawn

• Members
  • 11,218 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada
I think it's useful to make a distinction between the 3 lower grades of drums.

1) Toys; These are kits that you can buy brand new for $300 or somewhere in that neighborhood. Sound Percussion, Network, Basix, Westbury are just a few of the better-known names for these aforementioned Asian firewood stencil kits. Only recommended to the utter beginner who may not progress in drums and get bored of them after a few months. The hardware will probaby barely last the 1-year warranty before falling apart. The heads suck. The shells are okay but by the time you've bought all new heads and hardware, you've doubled your initial purchase price.

2) Beginner kits; these are decent drums to start on for the drummer who really wants to advance someday. They're sturdy and reliable and even sound pretty good, even better if you upgrade the batter heads. They're usually made of woods like basswood, poplar, birch, and luan (Philippine Mahogany). I'd say the average new price for a beginner kit would be in the $500 to $700 range.

3) Intermediate kits are distinguished from the beginner kits by the use of more expensive woods like maple, quality birch, plies of gumwood or even bubinga. The hardware is generally excellent and sturdy and should last for years. The upper end of this range are drums that blur the distinction between intermediate and pro, sometimes having North American Rock maple and Bubinga in the shells. Intermediate kits usually sell for over a grand, new, and maybe as high as $1500...but can be had for much less when older unsold kits are clearance-priced to make way for new lines. Just one example would be the Sonor Force 3007's, older stock of these kits can be had for $650 for a 6-piece shell-pack.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users