• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Rocketman

Rocketman

Advanced Snr. Member

• Platinum
  • 572 posts
  • LocationSpace Coast Florida
OK guys, here are a few pics of my newly acquired Gretsch kit. This is the first Gretsch kit I've gotten, and excuse me if my enthusiasm is a bit over the top. These babies are nice, and appear to be totally original, with the exception of one wing bolt to tighten the BD spur in the mounting plate. That, and I'm guessing the stop-sign badge snare drum was not original to the kit. The condition of these are great - a bit of scuffing and scratching on the 2 12" toms, but nothing excessive. The wrap on the floor tom and bass drum are in amazing shape. I'm totally digging the color. I understand that this wrap is somewhat rare.

And now to answer the inevitable question - I paid $1200 for them. In case you're wondering - they're not for sale. Going into the permanent collection...at least until something better comes along!

K.O.

K.O.

DFO Drum Lord

• Gold
  • 14,415 posts
  • LocationIllinois
Might be the original snare. Gretsch sometimes mixed and matched the badges on drums in sets during the transitional time when switching from one badge to the other, which judging by the details this set probably dates near to. So just be glad the badges on the mounted toms match :icon_smile: .

Leffler

Leffler

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 737 posts
I thought Moonglow was more blueish/greenish and white. Could those be salmon satin flame?

BKeeper

BKeeper

• Members
  • 325 posts
  • LocationAtlanta area
Those are beautiful!

I think it may be salmon satin flame as well. It looks like the wrap on "leedybdp"'s Walberg and Auge kit in this old thread.

http://www.drumforum...-popular-color/

Rich K.

Rich K.

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 5,942 posts
  • LocationSavannah, GA
I once had a similar era gold satin flame set. The chrome snare it came with had no badge...

longfade

longfade

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 606 posts
  • LocationSeattle

I thought Moonglow was more blueish/greenish and white. Could those be salmon satin flame?

Mine was Salmon Flame and it looked exactly like that. Hard to tell in photos sometimes though.

Guest_leedybdp_*

Guest_leedybdp_*
  • Guests
Congrats on that beautiful set. I have heard that Gretsch called this color Sunset Satin Flame. I think that it is the same as the Salmon Satin Flame on my Walberg & Auge set.

• Guests
Congrats. Cool wrap for sure. Enjoy. :occasion5:

vintagemore2000

vintagemore2000

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 7,016 posts
  • Locationnorth carolina
Those are so groovy!!!! :occasion5:

kona1984

kona1984

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,416 posts
Nice drums!

Just for the record - I bought these new in 1969 - sold them in 76. Last year I did some digging around to find what finish I had and I got the following answer from a well know Gretsch historian:

Gary: in 1969, Gretsch had 4 satin flames--moonglow (a gray and blue), aqua, gold and...sunset. I think, you had Sunset Satin Flame. I can't find the physical color to show you, but a real sunset has pink in it.

Mine did have pink in the finish........I always called them "Pink" Satin Flame but I have since seen real Pink Satin Flame and mine were quite different.

I think I posted this elsewhere here last year - but I thought it might be of interest again here.

[attachment=80900:GRETSCH DRUMS (Large).jpg]

• Guests
Wondering how the scuffs will clean up, or if they will clean up??

Guest_leedybdp_*

Guest_leedybdp_*
  • Guests

Simple answer:

Most dirt will clean up.
No scratches will go away.

kona1984

kona1984

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,416 posts
Yes - I remember the "scuffs" - this finish will tend to scuff/scratch easier than most other wraps....so I've been told. But from what I remember on mine I had a few scuffs here & there but they weren't all that noticible - they sitll looked killer under the lights :occasion5:

Again.....very nice drums. By the way - I remember paying just under $1200 for my drums back in 1969. So I'd say you got yourself a pretty good deal.

amosguy

amosguy

DFO Potentate

• Platinum
  • 3,068 posts
  • LocationRedmond, WA

Using Scrubbing Bubbles will take care of the dirt in the raised wrap. Just remember to tape the holes inside the shells and rinse well.

Real beauty you have there. Congrats.

drumsforever

drumsforever

Drumsforever

• Members
  • 10,497 posts
  • LocationButler County, OH 45011
Congrats! :occasion5:

k.zildjian

k.zildjian

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,910 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids,Michigan
Great set! Gretsch are real hard to find now.................

shilohjim

shilohjim

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,781 posts
  • Locationshiloh, nj
That is my favorite finish ever. I would give my left nut for that kit.

Rocketman

Rocketman

Advanced Snr. Member

• Platinum
  • 572 posts
The color of these are really puzzling me! There is no pink in the mix. The color varies depending on lighting and angle of view. From one perspective, they look blue-grey-silver, from another angle they look mostly gold-yellow. Notice that the floor tom in the 2nd pic. If I turn it upside down, the color is blue-grey-silver!

Were these satin flame wraps prone to fading? Perhaps that would explain some of the anomalies with these wraps.

I suspect that these drums are going to clean up really nice. Any other suggestions regarding cleaning of the satin flame wraps?

Edited by Rocketman, 07 October 2010 - 10:08 AM.

Rocketman

Rocketman

Advanced Snr. Member

• Platinum
  • 572 posts
OK - mystery solved as far as the wrap color. They are indeed moonglo, and the gold/yellow is apparently faded, probably UV damage. The underside of the BD is very grey/silver, as is also the case under the hoops. I wonder how many more of these questionable satin flame finishes are a result of the same phenomena.

Nonetheless, I still dig the hell out of these drums, and think I did well with the deal. Can't wait to get them cleaned up and start pounding on them!

Edited by Rocketman, 07 October 2010 - 07:24 PM.

knavel

knavel

• Members
  • 284 posts
  • LocationItaly
Could be your lucky week if this one has aged like yours. Should go cheap given SSB and uneven fade.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item2c57efb506

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users