- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Michael Beechey

Michael Beechey

Advanced Forum Guru

• Platinum
  • 1,876 posts
  • Locationcurrently sweating in Duncan,Vancouver Island, Canada- no more T'O.no more snow!
Seems to be industry standard here, for low-tech soundproofing, i.e. normal construction jobs. ...Anyone have experience yay/nay?

Donnacona1
Donna2
Oh Donna

biggator

biggator

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 7,009 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Seems to be industry standard here, for low-tech soundproofing, i.e. normal construction jobs. ...Anyone have experience yay/nay?

Donnacona1
Donna2
Oh Donna

Unfamiliar with donnacona board - but if you dig around, you'll find that there's little better bang/buck than good old drywall. Two layers of drywall with some green glue between them - winner.

[edit].. reading some of those links you sent - unless I'm reading it wrong, some of those people are suggesting the creation of a 3-leaf wall.. BAD!! Read the Rod Gervais book, and Ethan Winer's site - those are a good start.[/edit]

Edited by biggator, 05 November 2010 - 08:59 AM.

Michael Beechey

Michael Beechey

Advanced Forum Guru

• Platinum
  • 1,876 posts
  • Locationcurrently sweating in Duncan,Vancouver Island, Canada- no more T'O.no more snow!

Donnacona1
Donna2
Oh Donna

[edit].. reading some of those links you sent - unless I'm reading it wrong, some of those people are suggesting the creation of a 3-leaf wall.. BAD!! Read the Rod Gervais book, and Ethan Winer's site - those are a good start.[/edit]

Triple leaf....wow....talk about a learning curve and counter-intuitive techniques~~~~!!!!

Michael Beechey

Michael Beechey

Advanced Forum Guru

• Platinum
  • 1,876 posts
see

recording studio construction

Reno forum

...today's vocab lesson: room ratios, triple leaf, room modes, mass spring mass, egg cartons (comic relief)

drumsforever

drumsforever

Drumsforever

• Members
  • 10,497 posts
  • LocationButler County, OH 45011
Great Info! Thanks for the post

dcrigger

dcrigger

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,639 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Donnacona1
Donna2
Oh Donna

Michael -

From poking around on google a bit, unless I'm mistaken, it appears Donnacona Board is pretty similar to (what at least used to be called) Celotex soundboard. A slightly squishy 1/2 board made of compressed fibers of something or another..

In the days before Green Glue, Celotex soundboard was the turn to product to sandwich between or behind drywall to deaden it. My studio in LA was built (20 years ago) which sandwiches of two layers of 5/8" drywall with a layer of 1/2" soundboard in between (as were tons of other LA studio's I saw built). It actually works pretty respectfully. I know the drywall plus Green Glue specs out better - as it should, considering how much more money the GG costs compared to the soundboard.

I wouldn't hesitate at all to build a personal room similarly today - because my experience is unless you can spend a true boat load of money and are able to achieve superior build quality throughout (beyond the abilities of most non-audio specific commercial contractors, you'll never get your doors and HVAC isolation up to where your walls (which are far easier to upgrade) will be. And soundproofing effectiveness seems to be far more about the weakest link than the rest of the strongest ones - so I believe one should be careful over spec-ing any one part of a build above the rest - except in the case of a plan with future upgrades in mind.

While your in research mode - I can't recommend the John Sayer's site highly enough - what a great resource.

David

b/o 402

b/o 402

Wacky old coot

• Members
  • 2,042 posts
  • LocationMaryland
I believe a similar product is sold here in the states under the name Homasote. i have a little experience using this as layer under the drywall, as my drywall sub recommends it for this purpose and we've done two jobs with it so far. IMO it may reduce the sound transmission slightly.
In any case you should use RC-1 resilient channel to suspend the walls and ceiling, or even better would be isolation clips like these.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users