• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

Nickvm

Nickvm

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • LocationCulemborg, the Netherlands.
Hi Everybody,

I recently purchased a Remo Mastertouch drumkit.
On the net i could find some information about the Mastertouch kits

Are there any forum members who know more about the history of the Remo mastertouch kits?

Some pics from my kit,

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Matt Middleton

Matt Middleton

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  • LocationOhio
Mastertouch kits were one of REMO's forays into professional drum kit building. The REMO Acousticon shell is synthetic, rather than standard hardwood plies. Your kit appears to be a Venwood series, meaning the sythetic shells were veneered with a single wooden ply for aesthetic purposes.

In my experience, people tend to love or hate REMO drums. I was always very impressed by the sound of the Mastertouch and later Gold Crown kits but the early kits had a reputation for not holding up very well.

drumaniac

drumaniac

Drummer Excelsior

• Members
  • 8,430 posts
  • LocationCanada
Excellent sounding kits.

EvenSteven will probably chime in with some comments, he is a fan of these kits.

DanRH has also been known to play em on occasion.

Rick

TomN

TomN

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,719 posts
  • LocationWilmington, DE
I believe that MasterTouch sets came out in the late 80s with the Acousticon SE shells. In the early 90s (maybe 1992), Remo upgraded the shells to Acousticon R 516 (and later 316). The Acousticon R 516 shells were 5/16ths inch thick with sharp cut edges. I have these same shells on my '94 Triumph set. I think the MasterTouch sets were made through the late 90s.

Looking at your badge, your drums were probably made after 1994 (in 1994, the badges didn't list the MasterTouch name but they added that in 1995.)

I just set up my '94 kit and was marveling at how fantastic they sound and how great they've held up. The only big downside I've found with the Acousticon R 516 shells is how heavy they are. The chrome hoops are taller as well. The double tom holder is really well made but wow is it heavy--the heaviest one I own. Watch out not to over-tighten the tom holder settings since the bolts go right into the ball mounts and it's easy to ruin the balls (lousy design.)

I have no experience with the earlier Acousticon SE shells but I bought (by mistake) a snare with the even earlier Acousticon SX shell and it seems like junk in comparison. I can see why some people badmouth Remo drums if their experiences were with the earlier shells.

Good luck with them. It looks like a really nice set. EvenSteven has a MasterEdge set in the same finish.

Edited by TomN, 08 December 2010 - 10:12 AM.

TomN

TomN

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,719 posts
  • LocationWilmington, DE
Oh, I forgot...welcome to the Forum.

ARGuy

ARGuy

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationMinnesota
I think TomN summed it up pretty well. I've got a kit with the 516 shells - it sounds great and I've had no problems with the shells. It's unfortunate that Remo came out with the earlier SE shells because they permanently turned a lot of drummers off to any Remo drum. We might get at least one "glorified cardboard" post before this thread runs its course, but don't let that ruin your enjoyment of your new drums.

TommyWells

TommyWells

Pro/Founder

• Members
  • 7,805 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tn.
Those are really nice sounding drums. Have fun with them. My friend Garry Lalone has had a set on the road with country artist John Conlee for almost 20 years, and they still look and sound great. They have played fairs, clubs, theaters, rodeos, you name it. Still going.

Nickvm

Nickvm

• Members
  • 8 posts
Thanx everybody for the feedback! :)

I love the sound of my Remo kit, i bought it 2 weeks ago in a drumstore in Eindhoven Holland.
The reason I choose for the kit is the fact that acousticon sounds great and has a very high durabilaty.
The Remo is my second kit, but it's sound much better than my main kit, A Yamaha stage custom (2010 model)

I have the 516 version of Acousticon, see the picture

Posted Image

dtk

dtk

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 4,958 posts
  • Locationneedham ma
I think Danrh hear has a kit in the same finish.

I've had some Remos of different vintages and the sound is always pretty neat.

I recently saw a remo 6pc kit for $99...the bass drum lugs were all buckled into the bass drum shell...

I love that purple venwood...dtk

TommyWells

TommyWells

Pro/Founder

• Members
  • 7,805 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tn.
Those 516 shells won't buckle. They will be fine. They had a handle on the process by then.
BTW: I had a set from 1986 with the older shells. They are the house drums at Chelsea Recording Studio, here in Gnashville. They are still sounding good. They have only been used in studios, so not exposed to the elements. I think when you see the old ones with collapsed shells, they have been wet.

shuffle

shuffle

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 4,377 posts
  • LocationReno/Tahoe
your kit looks great!
nice find!
I believe EvenSteven has a kit same veneer as yours,516's.
I had a 16x20 516 shell that sounded killer,paired it w/ some Keller 8 ply shells,great combo of shells!
Pat

Nickvm

Nickvm

• Members
  • 8 posts
I'm still very happy with my kit!

Last week i put an Kelly Shu shockmount inside the bassdrum, for inside miking.

Posted Image

Posted Image

And a question,
Is the difference between Mastertouch and Masteredge, that the mastertouch has a cover over the shells?

EvEnStEvEn

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~

• Members
  • 12,970 posts
  • LocationRed River
Hi Nick,
That's not a Venwood veneer - it's a Quadura wrap in the Purple Sunburst finish.
I concur with Tom that your set was offered in the mid to late 90s. The 1998 Remo catalog shows MasterTouch & MasterEdge kits were both available in Purple Sunburst Quadura wrap.
Remo made these drums at their facility in Valencia, Ca.

Here's my MasterEdge kit w/RIMS (10/12/14/16/22) no snare.
[attachment=86513:RemoMasteredge.jpg]

I ordered the set direct from Remo at NAMM '98.
They configured the kit to my specs using individual component drums - both high toms are 3/16" while both floor toms and the BD are 5/16"

To answer your question:

MasterTouch shells were 516 Acousticon R with regular 45 degree bearing edges and available in Quadura wraps only (your finish designated a "Custom Quadura" wrap)

MasterEdge shells offered 316 and 516 thickness (or kits with 316/516 shells combined)
MasterEdge series drums also have a patented, molded bearing edge and offered a choice of Venwood veneers or Quadura wraps.

These era Remo drums are well-built & sound awesome!
Hang onto that kit!

Edited by EvEnStEvEn, 12 December 2010 - 02:21 PM.

Nickvm

Nickvm

• Members
  • 8 posts
Wow,

A lot of knowledge :-D

I was surfing and always take a look at the website of one of my favourite drumstores in the Netherlands.
Then i noticed the kit and bought it asap!

It sounds awesome, my other bandmembers are impressed by the sound of the kit!

A very very nice kit EvEnStEvEn

Edited by Nickvm, 12 December 2010 - 02:34 PM.

ARGuy

ARGuy

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationMinnesota
I'm glad your kit doesn't have the molded bearing edges that evensteven referred to. I've got 2 Remo 3x13 snare drums that were everywhere in the 90's, one with the molded edge and one without. The molded edge has deformed, while the other one is fine and sounds great.

Nickvm

Nickvm

• Members
  • 8 posts
what should i do?

Optimounts or Rims on my toms?

ARGuy

ARGuy

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

what should i do?

Optimounts or Rims on my toms?

RIMS mounts still do the best job of isolating the drum, but there are fans of all the mounting systems here.

TomN

TomN

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,719 posts
  • LocationWilmington, DE
Are you unhappy with the resonance/sustain of your toms?

My Remo set's toms sound great with the tom mounts on the shell. Even with that heavy duty tom holder, the toms vibrate nicely.

TommyWells

TommyWells

Pro/Founder

• Members
  • 7,805 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tn.
All of my Remo Mastertouch drums were RIMS mounted. They worked great like that for me. Let your ears tell you.

Nickvm

Nickvm

• Members
  • 8 posts

Are you unhappy with the resonance/sustain of your toms?

My Remo set's toms sound great with the tom mounts on the shell. Even with that heavy duty tom holder, the toms vibrate nicely.

I am satisfied with the sound, but a little a soundfreak always want the best out of it :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users