Photo

What Type of Snare Wires Did Bonham Use?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

ruanddu

ruanddu

• Members
  • 443 posts
I have heard that John Bonham often used 42 strand wires on his snares. Does anyone know when he started using 42 strand? Did they become the standard type of wire he used or did he rotate back to a standard 20 strand?

Thanks,
Josh

tamadrm

tamadrm

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,923 posts
  • Locationstaten island ,ny usa
Hey Josh...Just my 2 cents.....When I was in London I went to the Hard Rock Cafe and they have one of Bonham's supra 402's mounted on the wall.It has Gretsch 42 strand wires on it along with Ludwig 2B sticks.

Steve B

Guest_leedybdp_*

Guest_leedybdp_*
  • Guests
Who freakin' cares? I certainly don't. Will you play or even sound like Bonham even if you play the same exact drums as his with the same exact snare wires? Not unless you have his soundman running you through the same sound system used for Zep live gigs. Or, you would need the same recording engineers using the same studio and the same recording equipment. And, even then you would not play or sound like him. I doubt that even Bonham could if he were still alive.

Edited by leedybdp, 10 December 2010 - 08:51 PM.

vintagemore2000

vintagemore2000

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 6,969 posts
  • Locationnorth carolina

Who freakin' cares? I certainly don't. Will you play or even sound like Bonham even if you play the same exact drums as his with the same exact snare wires? Not unless you have his soundman running you through the same sound system used for Zep live gigs. 6r, you would need the same recording engineers using the same studio and the same recording equipment. And, even then you would not play or sound like him. I doubt that even Bonham could if he were still alive.

you ain't gonna sound like him, because John Henry was the sound not the drums! the drums are only the vechile to the means to the end not the sound, your the instrument.

Edited by vintagemore2000, 11 December 2010 - 10:48 PM.

torydrum

torydrum

One of the old farts...

• Platinum
  • 3,171 posts
  • LocationConnecticut, USA
I think he was using Puresound snares. :drunken:

drumsforever

drumsforever

Drumsforever

• Members
  • 10,475 posts
  • LocationButler County, OH 45011
Ludwig? :drunken:

Guest_cpj83_*

Guest_cpj83_*
  • Guests
I believe JB was using Gretsch 42 strand wires when he was playing the green sparkle set. Not certain if he switched back and forth or not.

Chris

drumbum38

drumbum38

Forum Member

• Members
  • 751 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Who freakin' cares? I certainly don't. Will you play or even sound like Bonham even if you play the same exact drums as his with the same exact snare wires? Not unless you have his soundman running you through the same sound system used for Zep live gigs. 6r, you would need the same recording engineers using the same studio and the same recording equipment. And, even then you would not play or sound like him. I doubt that even Bonham could if he were still alive.

Wow man. That's pretty harsh.
"Who freakin' cares?" ......Well Josh did for one, and since this is a drum forum one could assume that others might too. He didn't ask if he'd SOUND like Bonham, but duplicating a setup is the best way to get "as close as possible" isn't it? So why buy a 402 Supra? Heck, just use any old snare Josh because your not going to sound like him anyway!

It was just a simple question. If you can't ask here, where CAN you ask? :???:
My apologies for being so defensive leedy, but dang...... replies like that make you not want to ask any more questions. Just sayin.
Peace-Eric

Guest_leedybdp_*

Guest_leedybdp_*
  • Guests

Wow man. That's pretty harsh.
"Who freakin' cares?" ......Well Josh did for one, and since this is a drum forum one could assume that others might too. He didn't ask if he'd SOUND like Bonham, but duplicating a setup is the best way to get "as close as possible" isn't it? So why buy a 402 Supra? Heck, just use any old snare Josh because your not going to sound like him anyway!

It was just a simple question. If you can't ask here, where CAN you ask? :???:
My apologies for being so defensive leedy, but dang...... replies like that make you not want to ask any more questions. Just sayin.
Peace-Eric

You just validated my cynical response to the question that was asked. Why, indeed, buy a 402 Supra if you don't need one? Wanting one is a very valid reson for buying one if you really want one. If you want to create an exact copy of a famous drummer's set up, I advise choosing an exact date with detailed pictures of what that drummer was playing at that exact moment because he could have played a slightly different rig the next night.

drumaniac

drumaniac

Drummer Excelsior

• Members
  • 8,414 posts
  • LocationCanada
I was also curious what he used, not because I want to buy them, just curious.
What's with the grumpiness anyway? not called for.

Guest_leedybdp_*

Guest_leedybdp_*
  • Guests

With age and experience come the province of being a grumpy old man. However, I am selective in my grumpiness. I rather enjoy it when the neighborhood kids use my lawn as part of the playground. Telling others what is and is not "called for" comes with the follies of youth and less experience. I am more tolerant of folks at the other end of the scale than many of them are tolerant of those at my end of the scale.

drumaniac

drumaniac

Drummer Excelsior

• Members
  • 8,414 posts
  • LocationCanada

With age and experience come the province of being a grumpy old man. However, I am selective in my grumpiness. I rather enjoy it when the neighborhood kids use my lawn as part of the playground. Telling others what is and is not "called for" comes with the follies of youth and less experience. I am more tolerant of folks at the other end of the scale than many of them are tolerant of those at my end of the scale.

share the wisdom and experience of age and hold the grumpiness
for when the neighborhood dog uses your lawn :wink:

ruanddu

ruanddu

• Members
  • 443 posts
Thanks for the replies that actually tried to address the question.

Leedy - to me it's the little details that add up to produce a certain sound - snare wire could definitely be one of the factors. If you can't add something informative to a post why even bother spending the time to write a reply? In my opinion, everyone should be able to ask whatever drum-related questions they want without fear of being made felt stupid.

Josh

ARGuy

ARGuy

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,954 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Since when do age and experience also include the ability to read minds?
Josh asked a simple, straightforward question about equipment. It's as if you made the unwarranted assumption that what he was really asking was "Dude! If I, like, put the same wire things on the bottom of my drum won't I sound exactly like him? That would RAWK!!!"
Your response was worse than grumpy - it was rude, and using age and experience as an excuse makes you look like an old fool. If I were a new DFO member I wouldn't take anything you have to say seriously. Heck, I've been around here for awhile and I'm getting to that point myself.

Guest_leedybdp_*

Guest_leedybdp_*
  • Guests

Leedy - to me it's the little details that add up to produce a certain sound - snare wire could definitely be one of the factors. If you can't add something informative to a post why even bother spending the time to write a reply? In my opinion, everyone should be able to ask whatever drum-related questions they want without fear of being made felt stupid.

Josh

I stick by my response that stated nothing you can do to a drum will make you sound like Bohham on his recordings. One of my kids would throw a fit if either my wife or I did not answer her question in the manner that she wanted it answered. She also went through a phase of not approving of being asked questions that were not on her "approved" list. She eventually grew out of those phases to becaome a very likeable and responsible woman. The whole point of this response is to say that not everyone thinks in the same direction as everyone else. If you are in fear of your questions being answered in a manner you don't like, I guess that you can live your life in safe mode by not daring to ask questions.

ARGuy

ARGuy

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,954 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Josh

I stick by my response that stated nothing you can do to a drum will make you sound like Bohham on his recordings. One of my kids would throw a fit if either my wife or I did not answer her question in the manner that she wanted it answered. She also went through a phase of not approving of being asked questions that were not on her "approved" list. She eventually grew out of those phases to becaome a very likeable and responsible woman. The whole point of this response is to say that not everyone thinks in the same direction as everyone else. If you are in fear of your questions being answered in a manner you don't like, I guess that you can live your life in safe mode by not daring to ask questions.

Just keep digging that hole, leedybdp. The only one you're fooling is yourself.

Speedy Keen

Speedy Keen

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 865 posts
In my opinion the initial post and question in this thread is totally valid and deserves to be respected as such. What makes this Forum such a pleasure to read is the respect which (for the most part) comes from the diverse background of members here. "Old age" is no excuse for "grumpiness", at least not in my book and I am far from young. I agree that Bonhams "sound" came from his hands and his mind/brain, but it seems he was surprisingly meticulous in how he treated, and modified aspects of his drums, to get the sound that was achieved. I think that one thing which is very important to keep in mind about him, is that all this diverse selection of heads, muffling tools, sticks, cymbals, drums that are around today, were not really available at that time. I don't think a band even remotely like Led Zeppelin could rise to the position they did, today. The times have changed so much and (from what I see) the interest is not there in young kids today, as it was in the early 1970's. I remember the Led Zeppelin albums coming out and the progression, that band went through was amazing. So I think that any curiousity about how they "did it" is totally valid.

anthonyfossaluzza

anthonyfossaluzza

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationLouisville, Ky
what about ringo? people talk and talk and talk all about the smallest details about his setup but they don't get attacked. i like all of the details. i'd say jb was the most recognized 402 player, i'd say the wires he put on it are a signifigant detail.

amir_zwara

amir_zwara

• Members
  • 312 posts
  • LocationTempe, AZ
I don't know what he used, but likewise, I would like to know.
Not that I, nor anyone rational, thinks they can sound like John Bonham. Nor do I think that John Bonham could sound like me.
But, I am interested in knowing what sort of gear one of the greatest drummers of all time used.

thin shell

thin shell

RIP Bongo Congo

• Members
  • 2,405 posts

Edited by thin shell, 03 June 2011 - 08:57 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users