Photo

What Type of Snare Wires Did Bonham Use?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

GeneZ

GeneZ

Drum Czar

• Gold
  • 2,940 posts
  • LocationGeorgia
:-o I'm John Bonham.

They were Gretsch 42 strand.

Gotta go now... :shaking2:

BRIAN

BRIAN

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 596 posts
Thanks John and welcome to the forum.........I for one would LOVE to know what the snare wires were, as I am currently bidding on a 70's 402...........GREAT QUESTION..........

dwludzild

dwludzild

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,967 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Who freakin' cares? I certainly don't. Will you play or even sound like Bonham even if you play the same exact drums as his with the same exact snare wires? Not unless you have his soundman running you through the same sound system used for Zep live gigs. Or, you would need the same recording engineers using the same studio and the same recording equipment. And, even then you would not play or sound like him. I doubt that even Bonham could if he were still alive.

WOW! Leedy man that is strong.

Let me first say that John Bonham DID use Gretsch 42 strand snares on his aluminum 402 Ludwig snare. When he started I would have no clue on that one.

Now I would like to add a few other comments: For years and years musical instrument companies have used artists to promote an instrument. Are you going to sound like him if you buy that product? NO, but if you buy a Strat for the intro to "Sweet Home" or the lead to "Nowhere Man" you will sound close. A Les Paul and Marshall amp is going to sound closer to the Frampton and Slash guitar parts than a Fender Tele and a Vox AC30. This is all just a fact!

As far as drums go: There is not one drummer on this forum with a DW kit and Sabian cymbals that is going to sit in with Rush and play "Tom Sawyer" and sound like Peart and I do not care how damn many years you have played it in the bedroom or with your band. It aint going to happen! It is about feel and you do not have his feel. I have a Ringo kit and I do not sound like him when playing "I'm Only Sleeping" but it is fun playing on that kit.

A mic, soundman, and recording system also have a lot to do with it as we all know. How was the Bohnam snare eq'd? What type of tape was used on the recording? I love the sound that Bonham and Alex V.H. had on their records so I guess I am a sucker. I fell for Ludwig's promo adds and went out and got me a 402 and NO............It does NOT sound exactly like their snare sound but I knew that when I handed over my money.

zutty

zutty

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 738 posts
Seems to me JB was very particular about his gear. If memory serves, he had the nat. maple kit when they opened for IB at the Fillmore and I was struck that he had a Rogers tom mount in addition to a Buck Rogers snare stand. I'd just ordered my Gretsch set with a Swivo mount myself. Also the drums were very well tuned. As for the snares, I've heard that he used the wide ones, but can't be sure if he insisted on it on all his snares.

homeby5

homeby5

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 5,414 posts
  • LocationKey Largo, Fl
Josh, I apologize on behalf of this forum for such a rude response :-( This is generally a great place to hang with a wealth of knowlege and great, caring people. Just look at some of the charity threads and you'll see what I mean. You'll find that 99% of the people here will entertain ANY question. I hope you focus on the good :icon_smile:
To answer your question, I thought it was near the middle/end of his career when he switched. I need to locate his "Thunder of Drums" book I bought (you know, because I wanted to be just like him :roll:). It mentioned the snare swap in that book.

Edited by homeby5, 12 December 2010 - 01:45 PM.

coastie

coastie

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,589 posts
  • LocationGig Harbor, WA
Jeez, he was simply asking a valid question. I don't understand the response by leedybdp. This is a drum forum. Nothing of this sort of inquiry is deserving of a reply like that. Until now, I had no idea that Bonham used the 42 strand wires. I find it interesting he did!

Troyh

Troyh

Team DFO

• Moderators
  • 4,834 posts
  • LocationHills of Southern Indiana, Nutopia
:icon_smile: Bambi's mother (or was it Ghandi) that said, "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it."

In no way was that response called for from Leedy.

Valid question for a drum forum and really an interesting one, as I didn't know he used the 42 strand wires. Myself, I've never really liked them.

JOE COOL

JOE COOL

Forum Guru

• Platinum
  • 1,357 posts
  • LocationNYC
its the reason we are here.
talk drums,drummers and drumming.
you like the topic jump in.
you dont,walk on by.

budrock

budrock

Advanced Forum Guru

• Platinum
  • 1,726 posts
  • LocationWilmington, North Carolina
I have a newer 402 and I tried the 42 strand wires but could never get a good sound. At all types of tuning ranges and at any adjustment of the snare wire tension, the drum always had an overwhelming tom sound. I went back to a 24 strand and got a great snare response. Frustrating about the 42's.

mpungercar

mpungercar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Who freakin' cares? I certainly don't. Will you play or even sound like Bonham even if you play the same exact drums as his with the same exact snare wires? Not unless you have his soundman running you through the same sound system used for Zep live gigs. Or, you would need the same recording engineers using the same studio and the same recording equipment. And, even then you would not play or sound like him. I doubt that even Bonham could if he were still alive.

You don't care, then why reply?

Why take the time to write a paragraph to belittle someone for asking a question that they DO care about?

Edited by mpungercar, 21 January 2011 - 10:45 AM.

Ludwig Von Buzzthoven

Ludwig Von Buzzthoven

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,698 posts
  • LocationMiddle of America
re: 42 strands... I think they are interesting. I've run across them only a couple times in my 20+ years of drumming. The first was on a RB Gretsch snare (in starlight sparkle, no less!) that I had for years. No matter how I tuned that sucker, and no matter what heads I threw on it, it always sounded boxy. Of course, that may have had everything to do with the fact that it was a Gretsch snare. (Let the games begin!)

Anyway, I never gave 42's another thought until last week, when I received my Red Vistalite kit from DFO brother Moonpalace (thanks again, Sean!). Now, Vista snares have never been my thing. I've always played metal snares. But the first piece of the kit I was drawn to was that snare. So I immediately set up and and played it, and to my total surpise and pleasure it sounded really, really good. Very snappy and crisp with just a hint of wetness to it. The sound totally reminds me of someone, but for the life of me I can't figure out who. I've been rummaging through my CD collection trying to figure it out.

re: This topic... It is way better than the "What was Ringo's practice routine?" thread that was posted a little while ago.
:smile:

Buzz

Ludwig Von Buzzthoven

Ludwig Von Buzzthoven

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,698 posts
  • LocationMiddle of America
Awesome avatar, mpungercar.

Buzz

Edited by Ludwig Von Buzztoven, 21 January 2011 - 10:48 AM.

mpungercar

mpungercar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Awesome avatar, mpungercar.

Buzz

Thanks! I spent hours on that one.

Z Furman is back

Z Furman is back

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 546 posts
  • LocationThird Rock from the Sun
Here's a video that might help you.

Drum on,
Z

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RT0I1hXFrUs&feature=related

Snaffoo

Snaffoo

Dental Floss Tycoon

• Platinum
  • 1,909 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Thanks for the replies that actually tried to address the question.

Leedy - to me it's the little details that add up to produce a certain sound - snare wire could definitely be one of the factors. If you can't add something informative to a post why even bother spending the time to write a reply? In my opinion, everyone should be able to ask whatever drum-related questions they want without fear of being made felt stupid.

Josh

Quote: "In my opinion, everyone should be able to ask whatever drum-related questions they want without fear of being made felt stupid."

No worries Josh, there are so many people here at DFO that care to give a quality ansnwer or a positive comment to any post that is made.

I think your question got a lot of informative answers, opinions and positive responses. I wish I thought to ask the same question, I learned something today, in more ways than one!

Scott

Edited by Snaffoo, 21 January 2011 - 11:18 AM.

TommyWells

TommyWells

Pro/Founder

• Members
  • 7,805 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tn.
Jeff Ocheltree was the one that put the 42s on Bonham's drums, according to Jeff. Before that time, he used the stock Ludwig wires. I haven't seen Ocheltree in a few years, but he was totally open to talking about all of this stuff. he also made some very cool snare drums. Jeff lived in Nashville for a few years and worked as a drum tech. (Of course.) When he left Nashville, he sold a silver sparkle Ludwig set that had belonged to J.B. Hard Rock has that set now. I'm not sure where they displayed currently, but they originally went to Orlando. I played them at "The Tracking Room" here in Nashville when they first opened. That's probably getting close to 20 years ago.

Regarding the Ludwig snare drums and 42 wide snares: The 42s work better on some drums than others. It depends on the snare beds, which are different from drum to drum, depending on when it was made. The shallower and wider the snare beds, the better the 42s work. Same thing with the Gretsch snares. They are great on some drums, and not on others. I use the 42s on my Gretsch snares that were made for them. I also have a "converted" Ludwig Super-Sensitive. It has a normal P-85 on it and 42s. It sounds great that way. The snare beds on those drums are shallow, as opposed to the deeper ones on some 400s and 402s. There was a Dyna-Sonic at Upfront Recording Studios, (now defunct,) that had 42s on it. It sounded great. You just have to put them on and see, sometimes.

Edited by TommyWells, 21 January 2011 - 11:30 AM.

budrock

budrock

Advanced Forum Guru

• Platinum
  • 1,726 posts
  • LocationWilmington, North Carolina

Here's a video that might help you.

Drum on,
Z

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RT0I1hXFrUs&feature=related

Saw that. didn't help my situation.I bought my 402 new about 5 years ago. With 42 strands you would think plenty of snare response but not with this one. Way too much tom sounding. This was with snares loose, medium and tight with loose, medium and tight head(both) tunings. I'm going to stay with the 24's.

Patrick

Patrick

Drum Czar

• Platinum
  • 2,002 posts
Hi,

I generally like the historical insights these kinds of questions raise.

Like that Gretsch DRB snare that Moonie used. More info here:

http://www.thewho.ne.../drums7073.html

Nothing wrong with a bit of trainspotting, er....drumspotting I figure. All grist for the mill. And, no I have no plans (or particular skills) to mimic JB or Moon.

cheers,

Patrick

Sonorholic

Sonorholic

Percussionist Maximus

• Double Platinum
  • 5,271 posts
  • LocationCarlisle, MA.
As much as I can agree with the cranky response, I would say that the snare wires were Gretsch 42 strand as they were the only source for them back then.

Yes, it's ok to examine the smallest details of any drummer, but it's true that no matter what, even if you're playing HIS exact drums, you won't sound like him.

Also, even though JB got a kit just like Carmine, he wasn't copying anyone else. You gotta go you're own way and find what you like.

I have to say though that my first reaction when I saw the title was quite like Leedys. I can see all sides in this one.

drumaniac

drumaniac

Drummer Excelsior

• Members
  • 8,406 posts
  • LocationCanada

As much as I can agree with the cranky response, I would say that the snare wires were Gretsch 42 strand as they were the only source for them back then.

Yes, it's ok to examine the smallest details of any drummer, but it's true that no matter what, even if you're playing HIS exact drums, you won't sound like him.

Also, even though JB got a kit just like Carmine, he wasn't copying anyone else. You gotta go you're own way and find what you like.

I have to say though that my first reaction when I saw the title was quite like Leedys. I can see all sides in this one.

It is all in the delivery.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users