Kenny Aronoff on Kennedy Center Honors for Haggard and McCartney

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Guest_leedybdp_*

Guest_leedybdp_*
  • Guests
My wife and I watched the Kennedy Center Honors program last night. This year's version honored five show business people including Oprah Winfrey, dancer/choreographer Bill T. Jones, Broadway composer Jerry Herman, Merle Haggard, and Paul McCartney. Many top notch singers and musicians did the honors of performing the works of the honorees. The onstage band for both Haggard and McCartney featured the great Kenny Aronoff. I always rated him highly. But, I gained an increased appreciation of his talents a few years ago when he drummed for Tina Turner in a farewell tour concert in Dallas. Did anyone else see this show?

Edited by leedybdp, 29 December 2010 - 02:21 PM.

cworrick

cworrick

Remembering Bunnyman!

• Platinum
  • 3,770 posts
  • LocationNortheast Indiana
I thought I found a link for everyone but it is only Alec Baldwin's speech for Sir Paul.

No Kenny.

Edited by cworrick, 29 December 2010 - 03:59 PM.

tamadrm

tamadrm

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,828 posts
  • Locationstaten island ,ny usa
Saw him.That guy can swing a dead man back to health...nothing else to say

Steve B

jbonzo1

jbonzo1

Drum Czar

• Gold
  • 2,492 posts
  • LocationPenn's Woods, USA
Saw it. Loved it. :-D
Johnny Cougar hasn't been the same since Kenny left.

bbunks

bbunks

Advanced Forum Guru

• Platinum
  • 1,924 posts
  • LocationChicago
Yea, loved it.

And particularly liked how he put on his hipster sunglasses during the segment for Sir Paul. He was looking a bit reserved during the segment for Merle :-)

mlayton

mlayton

Team Dfo

• Administrators
  • 25,600 posts
i watched it all. it was very enjoyable. i saw last years show when brubeck and springsteen were honored. the musical tributes to them were moving. i had expected that as well last night for sir paul. i was disappointed. i mentioned earlier in the shoutbox that it looked to me like no doubt was lip synching. steven tyler is something else. but i didnt think he was right for that part. wish they would have let james taylor do a full song.paul seemed to enjoy it. and.....merle haggard is one cool cat.

mike

DrumBob

DrumBob

Drummer Excelsior

• Banned
  • 8,676 posts
  • Locationnorthwest NJ

You got that right. +1000.

Mellencamp hasn't had a real hit since Kenny quit. When I met Kenny at the first MD festival, we talked, and he said, "John is just about the most intense mother****** I have ever met. A hard guy to deal with. He knows what he wants and gets it." He just shook his head and laughed.

Kenny is the hardest-hitting rock drummer I have ever seen. I saw him backing up John Fogerty. He's one of my favorites, a killer rock drummer who has a degree in percussion from the U. of Indiana, I think.

cworrick

cworrick

Remembering Bunnyman!

• Platinum
  • 3,770 posts
  • LocationNortheast Indiana

You got that right. +1000.

Mellencamp hasn't had a real hit since Kenny quit. When I met Kenny at the first MD festival, we talked, and he said, "John is just about the most intense mother****** I have ever met. A hard guy to deal with. He knows what he wants and gets it." He just shook his head and laughed.

Kenny is the hardest-hitting rock drummer I have ever seen. I saw him backing up John Fogerty. He's one of my favorites, a killer rock drummer who has a degree in percussion from the U. of Indiana, I think.

John Who? He seems to have kind of dissapeared since he lost Kenny.

He did graduate from IU with a performers degree - classically trained TIMPANI performer.

Guest_leedybdp_*

Guest_leedybdp_*
  • Guests
His bass drum work on the short solo in the "Bathroom Window/Band On The Run" medley was a bone shaker.

Edited by leedybdp, 30 December 2010 - 07:28 AM.

drumsforever

drumsforever

Drumsforever

• Members
  • 10,442 posts
  • LocationButler County, OH 45011
Kenny is one the great rock drummers. I loved his work with John Fogerty too. Sorry that I missed the Kennedy Center Honors.

mwb5271

mwb5271

• Members
  • 381 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

i watched it all. it was very enjoyable. i saw last years show when brubeck and springsteen were honored. the musical tributes to them were moving. i had expected that as well last night for sir paul. i was disappointed. i mentioned earlier in the shoutbox that it looked to me like no doubt was lip synching. steven tyler is something else. but i didnt think he was right for that part. wish they would have let james taylor do a full song.paul seemed to enjoy it. and.....merle haggard is one cool cat.

mike

+1 Mike!!!

paul

paul

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,767 posts
  • LocationLewisville, TX
I watched part of it at a friend's house, and wondered why they were honoring Paul McCartney. He's a great figure in pop music, but my thinking is that Kennedy Center Honors should go to American artists.

Bluesman

Bluesman

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,093 posts
Kenny is the man for sure. His early stuff with Mellencamp (Hurt So Good, Walls Come Tumblin Down, etc.) is killer.

Edited by Bluesman, 30 December 2010 - 01:52 PM.

ReGaL Music

ReGaL Music

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,984 posts
  • LocationOH....IO
Found it interesting that they used the same group of musicians last year when Bruce Springsteen won a Kennedy Center Honor. They are indeed some great players. I thought all of the singers paying tribute to Sir Paul did a great job.

Dude

Dude

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,774 posts
  • LocationMote Of Dust - Suspended In A Sunbeam
One of my first concerts was Mellencamp on the "Uh-Huh" tour (Crumblin' Down,Pink Houses,Authority Song,Play Guitar,etc). I was in the 5th row. Kenny beat the daylights out of his kit. Then I got to meet him at a drum clinic and holy jeezus he just pounds like nobody's business. Plays the perfect part for every song. That's why the man is in such high demand.

Anyway....is there a link to that performance?

shuffle

shuffle

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 4,340 posts
  • LocationReno/Tahoe
Kenny is my rock drummer hero!
He can play anything!
Even behind a 'bug shield'!
Heavy hitter in more ways than one!
Pat

0 user(s) are reading this topic