• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

roubaix

roubaix

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,619 posts
Filming at drumchannel.

This is only the 2nd time he has used his new setup - according to Mike Dolbear he's using a lefty pedal to in order to switch his kick around so that he can bring his toms lower to help improve his posture.

Not for everyone but I dig seeing people trying things like this. It really makes me want to experiment too.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Two more here:

http://img.mu.cdn.li...20f3ac/4d2cbf50

http://img.mu.cdn.li...e70696/4d2cbf4e

Bluesman

Bluesman

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

This is only the 2nd time he has used his new setup - according to Mike Dolbear he's using a lefty pedal to in order to switch his kick around so that he can bring his toms lower to help improve his posture.

And he's right handed? Well I'm certainly no expert on double pedals but there's gotta be some lag time in the respose, right? dang is that a 28" kick drum?

yetanotherdrummer

yetanotherdrummer

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,023 posts
  • LocationKalamazoo, MI
That makes me think of this guy's set-up. :)

Posted Image

stevesmithfan

stevesmithfan

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  • LocationRio De Janeiro, Brazil
Mickey Dolenzes' set up is so wrong IMO. Is he a righty on a lefty kit? so confusing.

DonS

DonS

Advanced Snr. Member

• Platinum
  • 875 posts
  • LocationTucson AZ
Seems right to Mickey!

yetanotherdrummer

yetanotherdrummer

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,023 posts
  • LocationKalamazoo, MI

Mickey Dolenzes' set up is so wrong IMO. Is he a righty on a lefty kit? so confusing.

It's a right handed kit.....with the bass drum on the left. :)

kip

kip

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 4,379 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh Pa USA

I think that is a Cool kit Mickey had
It's just a mirror version of Lenny white Billy cobham Simon Phillips carterbeuford

johnlamond

johnlamond

Fibes Freak

• Members
  • 2,548 posts
  • LocationSaber Lane Studio, Buffalo, NY
There are no rules. It's about whatever works for YOU. :)

utdrummer

utdrummer

Advanced Snr. Member

• Platinum
  • 687 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas
Been doing it this way for over a year now. Everything is so much lower and flows smoothly. I just need a better lefty pedal. Took about 5 minutes to get adjusted to the pedal being "reversed". Good for Abe...works well.

Edited by utdrummer, 11 January 2011 - 11:01 PM.

utdrummer

utdrummer

Advanced Snr. Member

• Platinum
  • 687 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas
Almost forgot I had this...Dolenz has been doing it that way for 50 years!

TommyWells

TommyWells

Pro/Founder

• Members
  • 7,805 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tn.
Mickey plays right handed but bass drum with left foot and hh w/right foot. Cross co-ordination.

p83

p83

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,417 posts
  • Locationtacoma,wa,usa

+ 100

drumedge

drumedge

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,806 posts
  • LocationFort Wayne Indiana
Thanks for sharing that brother, I personally have never seen that done! Of course love Abe's playing, no matter what the set-up, Amen to no rules!

DanRH

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger

• Platinum
  • 14,824 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area
Great player. Not crazy 'bout the jelly bean thing though but I guess it floats his and Macca's boat. :notworthy:

kip

kip

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 4,379 posts

Mickey plays right handed but bass drum with left foot and hh w/right foot. Cross co-ordination.

and then leads his fills w his right hand like a standard righty drummer since his toms go left to right high, low, floor (On far right).

since he was not a drummer, but an actor in the 60's, seems like he sat at the kit this way to avoid crossing his hands.

Re: Abe Jr. --- I also remember seeing a KIT OF THE MONTH in MD years ago, w a slave main pedal and the single kick to the left.

Also...what Abe is doing is really no different then how many players are implementing a 2nd kick...ie Stanton Moore , Joey Waronker... they have a main kick, but a slave kick to the far right which they use double pedal for

I also have seen kits that have 1 kick way off to the right and the drummer uses the slave slide of the double pedal as his main pedal to play it.

makes a lot of ergonomic sense.

we drummers are so tied into a 100 year old idea of what a drum kit should be, and look like...

also, Daniel Humair , European jazz legend has set his kit up similar since the 50's
he is a right lead player, but his kit is set up lefty.
he plays trad w Left and Matched w Right
Right on ride and hats, but he'd leads fills w his left

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abzZAcCe6EM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSXn4dyeJUw

years ago, I had a friend of mine do double drums w me in ATS.
To insure we didn't get in each others way I had one of us set up RIGHTHANDED, but play lefthand lead , and the other setup LEFTHANDED but played RIGHTHAND lead.

The righty setup player, had his normal kick pedal, but had to lead w his weaker hand
The left player, had to play kick w his weaker foot, but got to lead w his strong hand

It was a neat experiment and gig

Edited by kip, 12 January 2011 - 09:36 AM.

Blue

Blue

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • LocationArizona

Well, there is one rule. You do not talk about fight club. Other than that...yeah...do what you want.

biggator

biggator

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 6,759 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA
Dare I say it... his kit and set up look like all those newfangled noisy kids that everyone around here has so much disdain for. Slap a 'Shine' logo and some mini-tube lugs on it.. and you guys would all hate it.
"-)

kip

kip

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 4,379 posts

Almost forgot I had this...Dolenz has been doing it that way for 50 years!

check out how the hihats are in the middle of the 2 toms as well.
sure..he didn't play them...but after all is said and done about Mickey...it turns out that he is the father or ergonomic drum configs.... Bill Bruford must have been a fan....hahahaha

kip

kip

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 4,379 posts

Dare I say it... his kit and set up look like all those newfangled noisy kids that everyone around here has so much disdain for. Slap a 'Shine' logo and some mini-tube lugs on it.. and you guys would all hate it.
"-)

well then that makes the RULE
"there are no rules, if we like you, but if we don't like you, then you're probably not following the rules!"

now since Abe is playing his kick on the left w a remote pedal on his right,
what about if he moves his hats to the right, and plays them w a remote pedal on his left, so he can have the ride / hats all on 1 side....

double reverse mirror openhanded upside down and bass ackwards style.

that would be pretty cool...

right hand on the hats and ride...right foot on the kick....left foot on the hats.... using remote pedals.... no need to cross over... but you are still using your main hand for all riding.....

Edited by kip, 12 January 2011 - 11:24 AM.

Scottie_Guns

Scottie_Guns

idrum = udig?

• Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO
Kip - you're onto something. If I had the gear (or the dough), I'd try it out tonight.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users